Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Laminating different fabrics together on 03/09/2010 20:38:34 MST Print View

Eg silnylon/spinnaker

Or more extreme, cordura nylon with silnylon or spinnaker.

Is it possible?

I'm thinking about using this idea to adhere some UL reinforcement patches on wear areas on my Ortlieb panniers.

Cheers,

Adam

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Laminating different fabrics together on 03/09/2010 22:30:55 MST Print View

> Or more extreme, cordura nylon with silnylon or spinnaker.

There are no chemical problems here, but there is a major physical one. The silnylon fabric stretches quite well; the cordura won't stretch much. This mismatch in stress/strain characteristic (or stretchiness) will cause delamination fairly quickly.

You should try to match fabrics when bonding.

Cheers

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
mismatched fabrics on 03/09/2010 22:36:12 MST Print View

Of course, bugger.

Cheers Roger!

Ross P Hemphill
(rbimli) - F

Locale: PNW
"bonded" (glued, laminated) construction on 03/25/2010 03:37:17 MDT Print View

Does anybody see any reason to not attempt an entirely bonded silnylon (spinnaker?) tarp or tent? Sounds potentially awesome, to me.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Great Article on 03/30/2010 10:18:55 MDT Print View

Great article.
I had always wanted to try the mod that you did on the Rainshadow and now I think I will after seeing your example.

It also gives me incentive to add more points to my spinnaker and silnylon tarps.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Bonded/Glues shelter? on 04/23/2010 06:33:58 MDT Print View

"Does anybody see any reason to not attempt an entirely bonded silnylon (spinnaker?) tarp or tent?"

I had thought about this because of my fear of sewing:-)

I suspect it would require more overlapping of seams and the combination of the extra material and silicone bonding material would add ounces to the shelter, compared to stitch and bonded construction.

I'm still considering experimenting though.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Bonded/Glued shelter? on 04/23/2010 07:16:22 MDT Print View

Does anybody see any reason to not attempt an entirely bonded silnylon (spinnaker?) tarp or tent?

I missed that question the first time, sorry. Bonded cuben tarps recently available and a not as recent forum posting about a bonded cuben mid do make one wonder about the possibility of bonded siliconized fabrics. However, I have not tested that sort of thing.

I had thought about this because of my fear of sewing:-)

Weeeeeell ... facing down one's fears is great way to grow, isn't that a lot like what we do as lightening our packs?

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 05/08/2012 20:01:43 MDT Print View

Jim

Nice post

Did you align the fabric weave of the patch or bias at 45?

Tz.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 05/08/2012 21:11:58 MDT Print View

Tz wins the Miracle Max award for reviving a mostly dead (as opposed to completely dead) thread:-)

I have not paid attention to the orientation of the weave at all. It might make a difference but in some simple tests the joint was always stronger than the adjacent fabric so I'm not worrying about it.

Also, since that article I have made a silnylon tarp adapted from http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_5_yards_to_sul_part_3.htmlJay Ham's plans. All seams were bonded and even the guyout loops were made with laminated silnylon and glued on. The only stitching used was for installing a zipper on the beak and some small hang loops on the underside. It's worked well for 2 years.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 05/09/2012 10:38:22 MDT Print View

Jim
Thanks. I hope you did not get flack from your composite material consultant.

I will see how it works out this weekend
If it all fails the 8 by ten will be a 7 by 9.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Re: Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 05/09/2012 12:14:57 MDT Print View

Hi Jim,
Great article--glad the thread was revived, as apparently I missed it when first published.

I've made a bunch of rubber molds using silicone caulking, and sometimes use water to accelerate the curing process ((silicone caulk like GS Silicone II is moisture-curing). I wonder if something similar would work with your laminations.

I've never noticed that an accelerated cure weakened the material, but then the thickness and application was quite different than yours.