Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 03/02/2010 15:01:12 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Comment on 03/02/2010 15:58:59 MST Print View

Great article. These tech articles are my favourite. Has anyone tried this with cuben? I've heard of people taping cuben together but never gluing.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Comment on 03/02/2010 16:33:16 MST Print View

Thanks for all the work!

Dan, see here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20093&startat=40

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Comment on 03/02/2010 16:52:08 MST Print View

Another project involving glued cuben

Edited by jcolten on 03/02/2010 16:53:02 MST.

Matt Foehrenbacher
(matt_f) - MLife
Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 03/02/2010 17:13:14 MST Print View

Jim -

Great article. I really appreciate all of the myog contributions you make to BPL.

Dan -

I've tried something similar with some of the 0.75 "breen" cuben from the order organized by BPL members. So far I've only used Seam grip, mostly because its what I had around and I'd heard mention that it would work ok. Here are some photos. So far it is holding very well, but I've only had it out for one quick overnight.

tie out

tarp at afton

Matt

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Nice on 03/02/2010 20:16:06 MST Print View

Very nice tarp...neat stuff.

Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
Thinned glue on 03/03/2010 05:20:29 MST Print View

Very interesting article!

Have you tried to apply thinned glue with mineral spirits? This lets you apply a very thin layer of silicone.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Re: Thinned glue on 03/03/2010 06:25:54 MST Print View

I have not tried joining fabrics with thinned silicone glue. I did read somewhere that the manufacturer said that results in a weaker bond.

Roger Caffin (if I recall correctly) has said that there are lower viscosity silicone glues available. I have no info about comparative strength.

But I do use silicone glue thinned with mineral spirits for seam seaming and making silnylon shelter floors less slippery.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Cuben repair on 03/03/2010 09:09:53 MST Print View

Lynn posted something for me on her repair of Cuben using adhesive:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=29310

oops, I originally attributed this to the wrong person!

Edited by dkramalc on 03/03/2010 21:50:03 MST.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 03/03/2010 10:46:14 MST Print View

My friend uses my silnylon scraps layered and laminated
with tub caulk to make hydrolic limbs for robots.

Casey Cardwell
(Niles) - MLife

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon
Thanks Jim! on 03/03/2010 17:19:14 MST Print View

Jim, this was great!

Does the wax paper work well as a buffer between the fabric and the weight or will you see some sticking?

On the side, what (besides snow) are you sleeping on in that lastish picture? -14 is freaking cold. Kudos to you.

Thanks again!

Edited by Niles on 03/03/2010 17:25:17 MST.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Cuben repair on 03/03/2010 17:59:55 MST Print View

"Alison posted something for me on her repair of Cuben using adhesive:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=29310"

Yes, something like that, but since your Refuge is silnylon rather than cuben, using the GEII sealant instead of self-adhesive sail cloth would be a good solution.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Re: Thanks Jim! on 03/03/2010 21:04:47 MST Print View

Does the wax paper work well as a buffer between the fabric and the weight or will you see some sticking?

Wax paper works very well. Plastic painter's drop cloth material also works if you don't have a lot of excess glue escaping the joint.

On the side, what (besides snow) are you sleeping on in that lastish picture? -14 is freaking cold.

Well that photo wasn't from the -13F morning ... it was a relatively balmy +10F. But the setup was similar, from the bottom up:
* silnylon bivy bottom
* 3/8"x72"x20" generic blue foam pad
* a very old 72"x20" ridgerest pad
* Marmot Arroyo sleeping bag
* a Primaloft One quilt as a top bag (6oz/yd^2)
* momentum bivy top
Bivy zipped up to about shoulder level to allow me to breath outside.

The trip with the -13F morning I had two quilts over the bag, the second one with 3oz/yd^2 Climashield XP. Was warm in bed but getting up was a shock. Pack up while heating water (if your stove will light), do the chicken dance until the water is hot, eat the oatmeal and hot beverages, hit the trail and hope the wind doesn't kick up. That's my coldest morning to date, not sure I'd want to "improve" on that.

johannes Eichstaedt
(nonBeing) - MLife

Locale: Fjäll, Himalayas
tx on 03/03/2010 23:02:09 MST Print View

very nice article.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 03/06/2010 21:49:22 MST Print View

Does it matter if white silicone is used instead of clear? I have white GE silicone II already. I guess I can give it a try.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 03/07/2010 02:12:33 MST Print View

You'll have white seams...

Cheers

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Re: Adventures in Laminating Silicone-Impregnated Fabrics on 03/07/2010 07:15:24 MST Print View

Great article and examples. I'll return to this again when I make a Jardine-style flat tarp.

Einstein X
(EinsteinX) - F

Locale: The Netherlands
weaken fabric on 03/09/2010 09:55:47 MST Print View

How about the chemical reaction between the glue and the fabric, won't that weaken the fabric?

Eins

J Thomas Peterson
(tpeterson1959) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Great Article! on 03/09/2010 10:11:09 MST Print View

Thanks for the write up! I especially liked your idea of using the foam boards to make assembling large pieces easier. Great idea.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Re: weaken fabric on 03/09/2010 15:24:24 MST Print View

How about the chemical reaction between the glue and the fabric, won't that weaken the fabric?

I have not seen any reference info that says it does or does not. But my own experience has not noticed any sign of weakening and I would not expect any.

Silnylon and spinnaker fabric are nylon and polyester fabrics impregnated with cured silicone polymer. Silicone "glues" are also silicone polymers. Maybe not identical molecules but certainly compatible materials.

Also, the threads in the fabric are already completely enclosed by polymer. The glue will not contact the nylon or polyester.