Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » BPL member shuttle?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Lewis
(gpl916) - F

Locale: PNW
BPL member shuttle? on 03/01/2010 21:41:48 MST Print View

I was reading the thread on the father and son looking for trip advice. One common thread among many of these types of posts is the rental car/ shuttle issue.

I have tried to get around renting a car myself because let's face it, it's a hassle to rent and then leave it at the trail head for a week or more.

One other site I frequent (advrider) has a list of enthusiasts who would allow a fellow rider to either put their tent up on their lawn, or even give them a room/ couch to crash on. This list is huge and all over the world. There are other websites that do that too.

I was wondering if there would be interest here for shuttle's? If you were willing to offer other members an occasional shuttle from the airport to trail heads near you, you could add your name to the list.

I live near Seattle so I could, on occasion, pick up members and drop them at a trailhead, like the PCT at Snoqualmie. It wouldn't be that big of a deal for me. It might take an hour and a half or so.

What do you think, would it work? Who would be interested?

Greg

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: BPL member shuttle? on 03/01/2010 21:46:13 MST Print View

Greg,
That'd be really cool and helpful. I'd like to join, except I live nowhere near a trailhead! Southeast Wisconsin sucks for hiking.

Greg Lewis
(gpl916) - F

re; Travis on 03/01/2010 21:50:54 MST Print View

Well, it would still be a benefit for those driving you. They would get to meet a fellow BPL'er and compare notes on trips, gear, etc. It would be a great way to mingle with others with similiar interests.

gl

Shawn Peyton
(alifeoutdoors) - F - MLife

Locale: Washburn, WI
southeast wi does indeed on 03/01/2010 22:38:59 MST Print View

hahaha Travis. I bet you know the Kettle Moraine South like the back of your hand.

Evan Chartier
(evanchartier) - M
Great idea on 03/01/2010 23:08:32 MST Print View

That would be really cool. I would like to do it too, but with lack of a car or trailhead in chicago it would be tough :(
Ya'll can always stay at my place though! Like couchsurfing for hikers! :)
Evan

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: BPL member shuttle? on 03/01/2010 23:12:59 MST Print View

Great idea!

I live in New York City so I don't know how many people fly here to go hiking...but if I can help someone let me know.

Does someone want to make a list on google documents? Or create a website with a database?

Russell Klopfer
(fluxxball)

Locale: Pittsburgh
Re: Re: BPL member shuttle? on 03/01/2010 23:31:46 MST Print View

I like this idea too. But, there might be a problem: since most people live in cities, they're not likely to be close to the choicest trail heads. And, the people that don't live in cities are probably far from the airport you're flying into. Personally, I'd be more inclined to drive N hours if I were going along for the trip. :)

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: BPL member shuttle? on 03/01/2010 23:36:31 MST Print View

I live near a lot of sweet trailheads, but I don't have a car. If anyone wants to fly out, rent one, and drive me to a trailhead, it's be much appreciated!

btw, i like this idea. trail angels are rad.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Re: BPL member shuttle? on 03/02/2010 05:33:55 MST Print View

Anyone wants to come out and walk here in Western Australia I would be more than happy to pickup/drop off. No room in the house with all the kids but the back lawn is available, and free

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Ride to AT on 03/02/2010 07:13:05 MST Print View

I have also been thinking this could be a cool idea. I live near the start of the AT (south) and would be glad to help out with rides from ATL to Springer Mountain. Didn't know where to post the offer.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Shuttle Service on 03/02/2010 07:15:48 MST Print View

I live close to the Atlanta airport. I'd be happy to take any member needing a ride to the AT trailhead.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: BPL member shuttle? on 03/02/2010 08:16:10 MST Print View

I live close to the Toronto airport and would be willing to pick up and drop off.

I don't have a backyard so I can't offer a tent pad, but if someone passes my pre-screening process (ie. not psycho and not a stranger), I do have a couch that is available.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
shuttle on 03/02/2010 08:32:53 MST Print View

I'll extend Stevens criteria for Missoula. Depending on the schedule, this summer I might be interested in joining/driving good folks coming out for Yellowstone, Glacier, Bob, etc.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: shuttle on 03/02/2010 09:51:03 MST Print View

I live near BWI, and would be happy to pick someone up and take them to a trailhead in Shenandoah or the AT in MD.

Greg Lewis
(gpl916) - F

re;shuttle on 03/02/2010 12:02:04 MST Print View

Can someone with experience with Google docs or something similiar set this up? It could be organized by state, and then you add your name under that if you are willing to do this.

When you need a ride, you would just look under the state and see what's available.

Greg

Evan Chartier
(evanchartier) - M
Sleeping on 03/02/2010 12:33:25 MST Print View

Could an additional tab be inserted for available floor space/lawn space? I cant help with driving but I could offer someone the use of my home for a night, as long as I am around to let them in!
Evan

Brian Camprini
(bcamprini) - MLife

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Re: Ride to AT on 03/02/2010 15:29:54 MST Print View

I could also help with rides to Springer from ATL, schedule permitting.