Member's Only - Scratch and Dent Sale
Display Avatars Sort By:
Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Member's Only - Scratch and Dent Sale on 03/01/2010 20:15:38 MST Print View

Anyone want to go? I've only done this one and I didn't buy a thing. I'll gladly go to meet some members here and take a chance for some cheap gear. Coffee is on me. :D

REI

03/06/2010
10:00AM

Address:
1800 Northeast Expy NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
(404) 633-6508

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Member's Only - Scratch and Dent Sale on 03/01/2010 20:17:02 MST Print View

I'll go....just need a flight to Atlanta. You get the flight, I'LL buy the coffee!

Juston Taul
(Junction)

REI Scratch and Dent on 03/01/2010 20:21:06 MST Print View

If i'm paying for a flight, we are going hiking... not to REI. :D

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Member's Only - Scratch and Dent Sale" on 03/01/2010 20:24:10 MST Print View

I think Fremont, CA REI has a scratch and dent sale this weekend also.

Evan Chartier
(evanchartier) - M
chicago on 03/01/2010 20:25:21 MST Print View

waiting for the chicago one March 20! anyone want to come? :)
Evan

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: chicago on 03/01/2010 20:33:02 MST Print View

Juston, you're a pilot. I'm sure you get some perks!

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Perks on 03/01/2010 21:00:21 MST Print View

True. But they limit us to 6 "favors" per year, and it's still not free, although very cheap. I fly for free always, as does my family. That's why I save my 6 "favors" for deserving events. I'm also currently on medical leave and can't even fly myself until I go back on active status... March 15th. Wouldn't be in time for the S&D Sale. So when are we going hiking? :D

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Perks on 03/01/2010 21:09:40 MST Print View

I'm down for this Thursday-Monday!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Perks on 03/01/2010 22:28:25 MST Print View

Free flights to go hiking? ME, ME, ME!!! :)

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Post-Burning Man Scratch and Dent on 03/02/2010 09:33:57 MST Print View

The first Scratch and Dent after Burning Man at the San Francisco REI was the one and only time I went to a sale. It's the place to be if you're looking for a tent with cigarette burns in the netting and fly or a sleeping bag that smells like marijuana and certainly has bodily fluids in it I don't even want to think about. Lots of camp stoves and water bottles, and plenty of stuff from the Car-Camping section of the store, (coolers and camp chairs, etc).

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Post-Burning Man Scratch and Dent on 03/02/2010 09:38:26 MST Print View

Ah, the Return Everything Immediately return policy.

And people think is stands for Recreational Equipment Incorporated.

"Yeah, this tent leaked. It seems there's a cigarette hole in the roof."

"Would you like to return it, or exchange it?"

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Taking Advantage on 03/02/2010 09:42:11 MST Print View

I agree. People take advantage of REI's no questions asked return policy. It drives up costs for the rest of us. I don't know how they do it to be honest. I guess they have enough people buying to take up the slack. I have returned items to REI, but only for legitimate reasons.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Taking Advantage on 03/02/2010 09:51:14 MST Print View

James, Jeff and Juston:

Wow -- the J's are out in full force today!

Yeah, what you described -- it's shameful -- and IMO, it's little better than outright stealing! And at the end, that kind of behavior drives up the price for everyone else!

Zachary Crane
(zcrane) - F

Locale: Midwest, USA
Re: Re: Taking Advantage on 03/02/2010 09:55:34 MST Print View

I agree that the example of 'cigarette burn in *insert object here*' is definitely wrong. However, what do you guys think of a product marketed as being durable - let's say a pair of pants - and through normal use (scrambling?) they rip. It's technically your own fault, but the product didn't really live up to its claim. Thoughts?

It's got to be hard to be a retailer with a return policy like REI, but I suppose you have to deal with a decent amount of dishonest people at stores with 'normal' return policies as well.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: Taking Advantage on 03/02/2010 10:03:37 MST Print View

I work in an outdoor store (we sell SUC gear). I hate it when people return stuff that they 'rented' for the weekend. I don't know how many times we get a returned tent in Monday that was bought on Friday. The purchaser saying, 'We only put it up in the yard, and we just didn't like it.'

then I pull it out to inspect it (we have a 'multiple questions asked' return policy) and there will be all sorts of dirt and pine needles in it. Once there was a air pump for one of the big air mattresses we sell in the tent bag!

I hate that. No return for you!

But it IS REI's policy to take everything back, so apparently they have some system that they don't loose too much money, otherwise they'd change the policy.

While I do follow my personal ethics of not returning something, just because it has a hole in it after 10 months of use, I can't get mad at others for doing it. (Its a little crappy, but I can't get mad) They ARE within REI 's policy, after all.

If the company who's getting the perceived 'bad deal' isn't upset, why should I be?

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: Re: Taking Advantage on 03/02/2010 10:10:22 MST Print View

@Zachary

Carharts double front pants will rip (eventually)

If you go cragging a few times and the pants rip, absolutely, return them.

If the YOU feel the item doesn't live up to the stated claim, then you are well within your right, and should return them.

Its the people who wear the shoes all year long and then return them for next years model that get my goat. (I can't believe I just said 'get my goat' WTF?)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: The Piper Gets Paid Either Way on 03/02/2010 10:32:15 MST Print View

"If the company who's getting the perceived 'bad deal' isn't upset, why should I be?"

I don't know if "upset" is the word, but the concern is certainly there. Product returns are a cost of doing business. Everything else being the same, higher returns means higher cost -- which can lead to higher prices to for the business to recoup.

I almost never pay full price at REI. I can almost always find the same things cheaper elsewhere (and I'm sure their high return cost is one of the reasons for their higher prices). I say "almost never" because when I need to buy something major that I am unsure about, then yes, I will buy from REI for their satisfaction guarantee. But those times are few and far between.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: The Piper Gets Paid Either Way on 03/02/2010 10:46:07 MST Print View

I guess there are enough zombies that stumble into REI to fetch all of their outdoor needs. Enough to keep REI from having to change their policies, at least.

Most folks who give a rat's donkey will take the time to find product X at a cheaper price somewhere anyway.

We 'in the know' people definitely will. We are far superior to the others.

"You, in the button up- but this Carbon Reflex for $600. Backpacker says its awesome"

Ok, that was a little much- just having fun before work:)

And no offense to CR owners:)

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Taking Advantage on 03/02/2010 11:41:56 MST Print View

Interesting ... we have had this discussion before, but this time people seem a lot more concerned with ethics than last time ... glad to see that. In the past, there were too many people who said that as long as REI is willing, they saw no problem.

I even saw (occasionally) advice that the way to sort out a pair of boots you were uncertain about was to buy them from REI, take them on a backpack, and then return them if you did not like them. Keep on until you find a pair you do like. I could not believe people would openly admit to doing things like that!

Personally, I feel that abusing the policy has various repercussions, none of them favorable for the rest of us. To me, the ethical policy is simple:

* If the item is in *new* condition -- i.e. if REI can put it back on the shelf and sell it as new -- then go ahead and return it.

* If the item was defective, or was misrepresented (not just that you misunderstood), then go ahead and return it.

But it is *not* a free rental or free trial service! It is not ethical to by a pair of boots, take them on a backpack, and then decide you don't like them and return them.

--Bob

Edited by blean on 03/02/2010 11:42:50 MST.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: Taking Advantage on 03/02/2010 11:51:14 MST Print View

Yeah, I feel that return policies such as REI and Wal-Mart ruin it for the rest of the stores. Now we look bad if we don't have a 'We'll take it back, no matter what' return policy. They have effectively trained the public to rent stuff on our tab.

Luckily many people still have some backbone, and will do the right thing.