Forum Index » Chaff » What music do you like?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 15:34:28 MST Print View

So we're all here for a common purpose--the love of the great outdoors! (And because of gear fetishes).

I'm curious as to what types of music you all listen to. Will our interests have common links or be all over the board? You don't need to list your entire iTunes collection, but just a few samples.

Besides the classics (Beethoven, Dvorak, Haydn, etc...[I'm a classically trained violinist]), Radiohead, Oasis, Sea Wolf, Shearwater, Doves, Hard-Fi.

How 'bout you?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 15:53:21 MST Print View

Foo Fighters, any ACDC, and Sam Roberts.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 16:13:55 MST Print View

I was recently struck by a six-string thunderbolt out of the blue called "The Soft Pack." Check out http://thesoftpackofficial.com for some straight-ahead rock that sounds great. These SoCal boys were on Letterman recently and are currently taking Europe by storm. Love their videos.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Almost anything. on 03/01/2010 16:30:30 MST Print View

Egad, I'll listen to almost any genre. I tend to like individual songs rather than a given style. That said, it has to be a truly exceptional country/western or rap song to get my approval.

My iPod has everything from various classics, through Apocalyptica and TSO, flirting with Ducktown Station and Arlo Guthrie, and on through Elvis and the Beatles and Aerosmith, to Ozzy and old Metallica, Sade, Sia, Concrete Blonde, NIN, etc., and into Rihanna and Beyonce.

Damned near everything. I simply can't list everything.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 16:34:34 MST Print View

Over the Rhine, Zep, Allman Bros., Aerosmith, Ben Harper, Brazilian Girls, Concrete Blonde, Dinah Washington, Nat King Cole, The Dead Weather, Genesis, Jackson Browne, Miles Davis, to name a few.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"What music do you like?" on 03/01/2010 16:40:43 MST Print View

Now here's a topic I can sink my teeth into!

Since going Ipod, I listen to music completely differently. I almost exclusively let the thing play on shuffle. I very rarely listen to a whole "album" at once. Anything I get new just gets parked on the Ipod and when the tracks come up, they come up. I get a lot of pleasant surprises that way.

Here are the last ten artists to play while I've been sitting here working:

Paul Simon
Dave Edmunds
Paul McCartney
Bill Withers
Pete Townshend
Elvis Presley
Bodeans
Eminem
Bruce Springsteen
Commitments

Another set of ten an hour from now could be totally different!

I love it.....

Edited by davidlutz on 03/01/2010 16:41:19 MST.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"What music do you like?" on 03/01/2010 16:42:50 MST Print View

Can't wait to hear from Jay, and Kenny H........

Nathan V
(Junk) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lake State
"What music do you like?" on 03/01/2010 17:04:17 MST Print View

I listen to *almost* anything, but some of my all time favorites are: Bob Seger, Zeppelin, Brian Setzer, The White Stripes, Willie Nelson, Sarah McLachlan, Jimmy Buffet, Blink 182, I could go on and on, but I won't.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
"What music do you like?" on 03/01/2010 17:09:18 MST Print View

Imortal technique
Steve Earle
Cypress Hill
Midnight Oil
Tool
Bob Dylan
Rage against the machine
Johnny Cash
Neil Young
Talking Heads
Motor Head
Just about anything but Polka!

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
POLKA !!! on 03/01/2010 17:17:16 MST Print View

Oh, Come On !!!!

The "Beer Barrel Polka" ?!?!

How can you not LOVE that?

"Polka You Eyes Out", by Weird Al ?!?!

:o)

Edited by acrosome on 03/01/2010 17:18:02 MST.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 17:23:05 MST Print View

This icelandic group Amiina totally blows my mind every time. They play saws and music boxes and toy bells to such beautiful effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYIDUvAtiGc

Edited by justaddfuel on 03/01/2010 17:27:48 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 17:41:04 MST Print View

Cool! I was hoping there were some new groups for me to check out.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re: What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 17:51:03 MST Print View

Hmm... depends on my mood. Bands I like almost any time include Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Foo Fighters, and old (pre-And Justice For All) Metallica. I usually go through periods where I get really into a genre of music (rock or punk specifically) and don't listen to much else. Right now I'm on a ska kick and and listening to a lot of Reel Big Fish, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Streetlight Manifesto, and Big D and the Kids Table. At various other times I've listened to a lot of: Ramones, The Clash, The Cure, Daft Punk, AC/DC, Hendrix, The Who, Bob Seger, Cake, Arlo Guthrie, The Cars, Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Face to Face, NOFX, Less Than Jake, The Offspring, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Queen, and Jimmy Buffett. You can even catch me listening to blues, bluegrass, or classical music from time to time.

There is very little music I'm not open to listening to but I have yet to find any country or rap/hip-hop that is of any interest to me.

And contrary to a previous poster, if I can track down a copy of an album I prefer to listen to it all the way through. Sure, sometimes I like the convenience of just picking my favorite song, but I would never have discovered my favorite PF song (One of These Days, BTW) if I just listened to the popular tracks/albums.

How about bands that you hate? Me, I wish Nickelback would crash into a mountain. And don't get me started on Creed reuniting. Ugh, I can't even come up with words to sufficiently describe the level of loathing I have for their "music."

Adam

Edited by aroth87 on 03/01/2010 17:58:58 MST.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"What music do you like?" on 03/01/2010 18:15:48 MST Print View

Hey Adam..

I like your selections, we have a lot of overlap (my favorite Metallica is "Kill 'em all!).

I just wanted to clarify my original post......I always dump whole albums onto my Ipod. I rarely buy or rip a single song by itself, unless it's something cheesy from the 70's (and I have A LOT of that).

I love hearing a tune I don't recognize on my Ipod and having to get up to see who it is.

Looking at your list of bands, I bet I could turn you on to some "country" you would like!

I'm with ya on the rap thing, though.

Edited by davidlutz on 03/01/2010 18:16:48 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 18:41:11 MST Print View

...and Dave Matthews, early Waterboys, The Wallflowers, and Todd Snider.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"What music do you like?" on 03/01/2010 18:52:02 MST Print View

Music collections are like fingerprints and snowflakes, no two are alike.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Music on 03/01/2010 19:14:48 MST Print View

I'll listen to just about anything but Rap. My personal preference are Classical works.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Music on 03/01/2010 19:24:02 MST Print View

No to start a debate, but as much as I dislike Rap and a lot of the R&B/hip hop, its not because its a music that I simply don't like. I'm not really a fan of country either, but what makes me dislike Rap especially is the subculture surrounding it. You got guys making millions by selling sex, drugs, violence, killing cops, the virtues of being a thug, etc... THATS why I don't like that music.

I love it when I pull up next to a car with little kids in it and the stereo is blaring with lyrics like "Mutha #$%& the police!"

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
What music do you like? on 03/01/2010 19:27:21 MST Print View

I wouldn't know where to start, there are thousands of artists I like, thousands I choose not to listen to. The older I get the more I tend to dislike anything that causes me anxiety.

It would probably be easier to name bands I don't particularly care for. So from whom has been mentioned, these are acts I choose not to listen to:
Aerosmith,
Ozzy
Metallica,
NIN
Rihanna
Beyonce.
Bob Seger
Rush
Pink Floyd
Judas Priest,
Iron Maiden,
Queen
Nickleback
Creed

I've liked them all in the past, but if they are played on the radio they usually get switched.

Edited by Coldspring on 03/01/2010 19:30:29 MST.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Music on 03/01/2010 19:29:58 MST Print View

Rock and roll is based on the same premises as rap, it has just been watered down through the ages to make it more palatable to the consumer.