Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Grizzlies vs Polar Bears
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: L & C on 03/01/2010 16:36:44 MST Print View

Remind me never to share a tent with you, Dave. Even if I promise to to sleep armed...

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: L & C on 03/01/2010 19:51:03 MST Print View

+1,000!!!

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
Grizzlies vs Polar Bears on 03/02/2010 06:37:01 MST Print View

Per the PBS program, L&C were warned by indian villagers about the huge and fierce bears ahead. L&C reported that the first bears attacked immediately and had to be dispatched. The daily log stated that the men found it to be great sport...at first but soon found the continual attacks to be distressing. Anyway, their log painted a picture of a totally fierce animal, more aggressive than are experienced today. Don't know if something was lost in the context of the journal, if the bears since learned (the very hard way) or if something else was at play.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Re: Lewis and Clark on 03/02/2010 06:54:31 MST Print View

Lewis and Clark had to shoot at the grizzlies a lot.

You see, they had gun nuts even back then, just as we do now. They just didn't post as often.
--B.G.--

Oh no! Someone said something that offends me. I better start a 30 page thread on how upset I am.

;)

EDIT - Just to add something somewhat valuable to this thread... Polar Bears are supposedly more aggressive towards humans than Grizzlies.

Having spent a decent amount of time in Alaska, I've had countless run ins with Black bears. I've even been bluff charged. I never want that to happen ever again. She got close enough for me to pucker up a bit. Ha! :D On another occasion, our group had a bear visit our camp at night. He/she would come and go throughout the night. I don't know how close he got (dark), but I could hear him and that was close enough. I'm always careful with my food, so I don't know why he was hanging around.

That said, I've never really had any real problems from bears. Make a little noise and they stay clear. Most people worry for no reason. In Alaska, you have a greater chance of getting killed by a Moose than a Bear. YMMV.

Edited by Junction on 03/02/2010 07:04:50 MST.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Polar bear evolution. on 03/02/2010 08:57:49 MST Print View

Recent DNA study in the news on evolution of Polar Bears:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=polar-bear-genome-climate&page=2

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Aggresiveness on 03/02/2010 09:19:06 MST Print View

Someone counted up how many people have been killed by bears in Alaska in the last 100 years. Ajusting for population differences Grizzlies came out more likely to kill you than polar bears and if I recall it was by a significant margin. The one factor I wonder about is the number of PEOPLE wandering around polar bear habitant verses grizzly habitat.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Grizzlies vs Polar Bears on 03/03/2010 20:44:22 MST Print View

My understanding is that Polar Bears are meat eaters, meaning if it is hungry, and sees you. You're dinner. Grizzlies, are omnivores, meaning that if it sees you, it may or may not consider you dinner. :)

Can a grizzly really take down a polar bear? The latter is huge.