Forum Index » GEAR » The ULA Unique Selling Point (for me)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Vs the Gorilla on 05/21/2010 21:07:56 MDT Print View

The new hip belt looks great to me. I will now have to decide between the Ohm and the GG Gorilla. The GGG is smaller, but this seems to be mainly due to the Ohm's large pockets. I also like the idea of being able to strip down the GGG to a lower weight pack for shorter trips. The GGG is also rated at max load of 35lbs versus the Ohm's 30 lbs, but in practice I would expect them to be pretty similar. I may have to order them both and decide.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: Ohm / CDT hipbelt on 05/22/2010 00:39:57 MDT Print View

@Tom

You can get your old ohm updated. I just sent mine in for the change. Cost me $50 including return shipping.

I think you hit it exactly with the comparison to the ghost. I loved that pack and the ohm with the new hipbelt hits most of the ghost's best points with a few pluses of its own. The one minus is the lack of flexibility in the delrin rod. With the ghost I could really shape the rod to my back using the load lifters. I'm not sure how much of a difference that actually makes. Maybe the stiffer rod is better for load transfer.

Nathan Baker
(Slvravn) - MLife

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic
Re: Vs the Gorilla on 05/22/2010 05:19:16 MDT Print View

Jason - you can still strip the Ohm down further by removing all the accessory items (hand loops, internal pockets, etc...) and taking out the hoop if you want. I just got my new one in yesterday and it looks great so far. The new hipbelt sits great on my hips and I love the reverse tension pulls they now have on the belt.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

The ULA Unique Selling Point (for me) on 05/22/2010 15:37:46 MDT Print View

Nathan - Thanks. I didn't know the frame was removable. How easy is it to remove the frame and what does it weigh?

Thanks,

J

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Ohm / CDT hipbelt @ Nia on 05/22/2010 17:55:03 MDT Print View

"You can get your old ohm updated. I just sent mine in for the change. Cost me $50 including return shipping."

Thanks for the beta, Nia. Do you know how much of a weight penalty, if any, there is with the new hip belt?

I think the Ohm and the Ghost have a lot in common in terms of how, and how much, they carry. I'd give the Ohm the nod due to its outstanding side pockets, hip belt pockets, top loader design, and kangaroo pocket, but the old gray Ghost will always be my sentimental favorite. I never understood why they stopped making that Mountainlight series. The Auspex was an outstanding pack as well.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ohm / CDT hipbelt @ Nia on 05/23/2010 01:48:37 MDT Print View

ULA lists the new version of the ohm at 22.6 oz. I think that's about the same weight as the older styled + pockets.

Nathan Baker
(Slvravn) - MLife

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic
Ohm weight with and without hoop on 05/23/2010 04:55:09 MDT Print View

Jason - The hoop is very easy to take out and put back in if you need to. As for the weights, they break down like this:

- M/M Ohm with no accessories (but with hoop = 618g (21.7oz)
- Ohm hoop by itself = 45g (1.5oz)
- M/M Ohm stripped and no hoop = 573g (20.2oz)

Not a bad weight savings to take out the hoop if you want a frameless pack with load lifters.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ohm / CDT hipbelt @ Nia on 05/23/2010 20:59:28 MDT Print View

"ULA lists the new version of the ohm at 22.6 oz. I think that's about the same weight as the older styled + pockets."

That's what I needed to know. Looks like I'm out $50. Thanks, Nia.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Q about Ohm suspension on 05/24/2010 12:37:26 MDT Print View

OK, I am looking very carefully at the Ohm on the ULA web site, and I am unable to answer one question:

Does the suspension hoop go all the way to the top of the pack where the load lifters connect? That is, do the load lifters pull directly on the suspension hoop?

Thanks!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
A about Ohm suspension on 05/24/2010 12:45:45 MDT Print View

They both go up to the top seam of the pack. Where the ext collar begins. They are not connected.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
ULA on 05/24/2010 13:15:31 MDT Print View

Pulling on the load lifters will pull the suspension hoop toward the upper back. At least it did on mine.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

The ULA Unique Selling Point (for me) on 05/24/2010 15:07:40 MDT Print View

Nathan - thanks. I think I will order an Ohm and a Gorilla in the next couple of months and chose between the two.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Ohm on 05/25/2010 18:35:55 MDT Print View

I got my new Ohm today...it's a very nice pack. The construction is professional grade. I'm off to work now so I'll post pictures later.

My observed weights are:
Ohm w new hipbelt: 569g (20.10oz)
Internal Back Pad: 32g (1.13oz)
Ohm Frame: 47g (1.66oz)
Internal Mesh Pkt: 25.4g (0.90oz)
Water Btl Holders: 4 x 5.8g (0.20oz)
Hydration Sleeve: 33.4g (1.18oz)
Hand Loops: 2 x 11.7g (0.41oz)

I think this is actually lighter than the old hipbelt if you would have used the old hipbelt with two optional hipbelt pockets. As per another thread, the old Ohm naked weighed 536g and this one is 569g naked, so for the 33g (1.2oz) gain you get the larger hipbelt and two hipbelt pockets. Hipbelt pockets added 1.2oz to the old Ohm belt, so with two hipbelt pockets you would have been around 592g and still had the minimal hipbelt.

Fully loaded the pack is 753g (26.6oz). Besides removing the optional features, there seems to be a bit of room to save some weight (0.5oz?) by trimming straps. I'm going to wait on this a bit though to make sure I understand everything and don't cut anything too short. The load lifter straps seem like they could be trimmed a lot though and there are some straps and buckles in behind the hipbelt pockets that I'm not sure what they are for. Maybe the load lifter straps are extra long so they are easy to adjust while wearing the pack.

The new hipbelt looks quite nice, but I'll refrain from judging it until I've put real miles on with a decent load.

Edited by dandydan on 05/26/2010 00:51:32 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Ohm on 05/25/2010 18:38:51 MDT Print View

Thanks Dan. We look forward to a more detailed review when you have had it out on the trail :).

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"The ULA Unique Selling Point (for me)" on 05/25/2010 18:52:53 MDT Print View

Glad to hear you received your Ohm Dan, it's a very solid performing UL pack, I've been quite satisfied with mine the short time I've owned it. Perhaps BPL will now do a review on the Ohm with the new hipbelt design, the pack has been out for a few years now and there isn't much info on this site concerning it which is unfortunate considering the features and smart design.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Ohm Pics on 05/26/2010 01:02:00 MDT Print View

Here are some pictures of the new hipbelt. The hipbelt pockets can usually be operated with one hand, although sometimes the sliders doesn't quite make it around the corner.

Ohm 3

Ohm 1

Ohm 2

Here's what has me a bit confused but maybe I'm just over-thinking this. The new hipbelt has a grosgrain strap running from where the hip wings attach, behind the hipbelt pocket and then connecting to where the waist belt is bartacked to the hipbelt wing. I imagine this strap exists to take some of the stress off where the main strap is bartacked to the hipbelt wing, but why have this strap adjustable? The hipbelt wings do not stretch so it's not like the tension needed would ever vary. I can't think of any time you'd need to adjust this strap once you pull it taut initially. Why not just sew it taut and then leave out the adjuster buckle? Maybe it's simply too hard to get this strap adequately taut when sewing this pack, hence the need for an tightener? I realize this is a very minor detail and I'm not upset or criticizing, I just want to see if I'm overlooking something so I can fully understand and make the most of this pack. I'm going to take this pack out this coming weekend for a 2 day trip.

Ohm 4

Ohm 5

Edited by dandydan on 05/26/2010 01:58:15 MDT.

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Thanks Dan for the pics... on 05/26/2010 01:18:12 MDT Print View

I look forward to hearing your report on trail performance!

Dirk

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Ohm Pics on 05/26/2010 01:51:34 MDT Print View

Dan, I'd guess the adjustable strap will help snug the pack at the hips to prevent it swagging about. Sometimes the pendulum effect of your gait can set up a resonant frequency with the load and generate some unwanted wag. The adjustable straps should help damp that out.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"The ULA Unique Selling Point (for me)" on 05/26/2010 07:07:34 MDT Print View

My understanding is that the buckle and strap located behind each hipbelt pocket at the rear of the belt is essentially a traditional hipbelt stabilizer similar in design to hip belt stabilizers found on the Granite Gear, Arcteryx, Gregory, etc. packs. The hipbelt stabilizers were intended to help bring the pack into your lower back and depending on the terrain and load the stabilizers help minimize hipbelt movement and swing since the stabilizer straps attach near the frame. I've fiddled around with mine both completely loose and cinched down on the trail and I couldn't detect any difference. Although I've never carried more than 15lbs. in my Ohm so the hipbelt is rarely used for load transfer on trail.