Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Base Layer for Sleeping
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick -
(byproxy) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 09:18:23 MST Print View

i tend to thrash around a lot in my sleep... so i'm guessing i'd be better off at night with a base layer of some sort rather than a bag liner.

i want something for sure though as if it warms up at night i tend to sweat a lot and don't want to trash my new down bag.

any suggestions? i'd like something that is multipurpose (i.e. i don't want to pack pj's just for sleeping) and don't need something with much insulation properties (if i'm cold i'll put thermals on).

thanks for the tips!

Jack Bauer
(mclovin) - F
patagucci on 02/26/2010 09:41:29 MST Print View

How about patagonia capilene base layer?

Chris Gray
(ChrisFol) - F

Locale: Denver, Coloado
Re: patagucci on 02/26/2010 09:43:55 MST Print View

+1

Capilene 1 is my favorite thing to sleep in.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 09:59:47 MST Print View

I went with the lightest thing I could find and after a lot of searching went with

Golite DriMove Silkweight Baselayer long sleeve top 2.2oz: This top is insanely light, but unfortunately it has been discontinued and replaced by the 4oz Wildwood Trail Run Top.

Backpacking Light UL Wool bottoms 3.6oz: They are super thin, very simple (no fly etc.) wool bottoms.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re :Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 10:28:45 MST Print View

Merino wool for me. Comfortable at all temperatures.

Brett Peugh
(brettpeugh) - F

Locale: Midwest
wool 2 on 02/26/2010 11:46:47 MST Print View

I would go with a Wool 2 comparable system so that even if you do get too warm and sweat some you are not stinking up your bag.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Synthetic on 02/26/2010 17:47:21 MST Print View

No matter what the Merino wool aficiandos say, wool DOES absorb and retain moisture, even if you can't feel it.

Go with a light polyester base layer. I have a nice WM Megalite bag and use light Duofold poly long johns for sleeping only to keep the bag clean.

Cabela's also sells light polyester long johns that, in my experience, last for decades.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Synthetic on 02/26/2010 17:55:31 MST Print View

How would you guys compare silk to wool or synthetic?

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 18:01:00 MST Print View

I sleep in whatever I hike in. Extra clothing is unnecessary weight.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 18:10:41 MST Print View

>I sleep in whatever I hike in. Extra clothing is unnecessary weight.

While I'd like to drop my silk layer for sleeping, I still want to keep the bag clean. Dirt, sweat, bug spray, etc can build up on my hiking clothes, and I'd rather keep it out of my bag. Are the dangers of dirty clothes in down bags one of those things that get overblown?

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Re: Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 18:16:26 MST Print View

Very likely. Bags are washable just like clothes but then I have never carried a sleeping layer and have yet to feel a need to wash any of my quilts or bags.

Mike C! spends months on NOLS trips and doesn't carry a dedicated sleeping layer from what I remember.

Edited by simplespirit on 02/26/2010 18:17:21 MST.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 18:17:02 MST Print View

Chris, for the first time this winter, I just crawled under my quilt with my hiking clothes and micropuff on and went to sleep. Next morning, no need to freeze when getting dressed. Just get up! I liked it and will do it from now on.

I'm outside. Dirt, sweat happens. It's all on the inside of my clothes unless I fall into mud or something. If the quilt gets dirty, I'll wash it. : )

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 18:20:34 MST Print View

My base layer for sleeping is my wicking base layer for daytime wear when it's cold. I usually don't wear it while hiking (unless it's horribly cold and windy) but I usually wear it evenings and early mornings when it's cold (I backpack in the high Cascades or the Rockies). Since when I'm outside the sleeping bag I have my hiking clothes over it, it stays relatively clean. Mine is Patagonia Capilene 2. Any lightweight wicking base layer will do, though. It is NOT "extra clothing" or a "dedicated sleeping layer" but part of my total insulation system.

My personal experience with silk is that it doesn't wick moisture well, but either light merino wool or light synthetic works fine for me.

In non-buggy weather, my baselayer top is also my hiking shirt, but I've had too many bugs bite through the porous fabric (even when sprayed with permethrin). I therefore use a supplex (or similar) shirt in the summer.

Edited by hikinggranny on 02/26/2010 18:22:13 MST.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
wool is fine on 02/26/2010 20:14:05 MST Print View

I like lightweight wool long johns and long sleeve top. Icebreaker 150 is good for most three season use around here (NC). In winter I use Powerstretch tights and a 100-weight microfleece top. And a good hat, of course.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 20:28:48 MST Print View

> don't want to trash my new down bag
Right!

My wife uses a silk liner. I use cover-all silk pygamas (hood and foot covers included). MYOG of course. Both work well, and are easy to wash.

Cheers

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
especially if you're already wearing two layers. on 02/26/2010 20:28:57 MST Print View

If you've already got a baselayer + something over it for hiking, the baselayer isn't likely to be dirty unless you're mud wrestling a sumo.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/26/2010 20:30:22 MST Print View

Roger,

Do they have those little plastic soles on the bottom of the feet like the gear I used to wear as a toddler? =D If so, I'll buy!

It's the new snuggie!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/28/2010 02:24:53 MST Print View

I sleep in whatever I hike in. Extra clothing is unnecessary weight.

+1.

You can wash a bag. I do this about once every 10 years.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Base Layer for Sleeping on 02/28/2010 02:45:17 MST Print View

So no tangible danger of "oiling up" the down in your bag from a sweaty day of hiking? (obviously by the time camp is set up you're 'dry')

Insect repellent transferring to bag from clothes?

I'm usually pretty good about carrying extraneous stuff, but its hard to ween myself off of down-protecting sleeping layers!--even though I've been thinking about dropping the silk layer...