Trip Suggestions for Father and 8 y/o Son
Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Some facts on 03/01/2010 21:38:48 MST Print View

Brian for what its worth here are the numbers on the Four Pass Loop compared to the loop I mentioned in Indian Peaks according to my mapping system (it seems to round milage down so assume a bit more).

Four Pass Loop
23.1 miles
Elevation gain 8511 ft
Elevation loss 8509 ft.
Average Grade 14 (the higher the number the greater the difficulty)

Indian Peaks Loop
22-23 miles
Elevation gain 6935 ft.
Elevation loss 7004
Av. Grade 12

The Indian Peaks loop looks a bit easier but in the big picture I'm not sure its radically different if you're doing all this over five days or more. Both loops have good side hikes if you're going faster than expected. If this is at all helpful I would be happy to punch in a few hikes for the Durango area, there are so many down there I'll let you chose. My family is actually looking at the Mt. Sneffals area too.

Greg Lewis
(gpl916) - F

Locale: PNW
Shuttle on 03/02/2010 09:24:28 MST Print View

Brian,

I started another thread entitled shuttles for BPL members. You might want to take a look at that.

If you want to come to the Seattle area, I could give you a ride up into the Snoqualmie or maybe Stevens Pass area where you could hook up with the PCT. I am sure other members could get you a ride back to the airport- if not I could do that too.

Greg

Brian Camprini
(bcamprini) - MLife

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Re: Shuttle on 03/02/2010 15:31:13 MST Print View

Greg,

Great idea. I just posted that I could help with rides to the AT. Thanks for giving me yet another option!

Brian

Brian Camprini
(bcamprini) - MLife

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Re: Some facts on 03/02/2010 15:45:29 MST Print View

That's great info. Sounds daunting in numbers, but like you said, spread out over a few days it's not too bad.

I spoke with a Forest Svc employee today in the Uncompaghre (sp?) and have a map headed my way. Probably leaning more towards the hikes you mentioned for the ease of logistics, but I'll make it to that area sometime even if it's not this trip.