Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ohio trip ideas?

Display Avatars Sort By:
John A
(JohnA) - F

Locale: Great Lakes State
Ohio trip ideas? on 02/25/2010 12:59:42 MST Print View

I'm looking for ideas for an early April 4-nighter in mid to southern Ohio. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

John A

martin cooperman
(martyc) - M

Locale: Industrial Midwest
'4 days in O-hio' on 02/25/2010 13:41:51 MST Print View

You might be able to stretch the Shawnee State Forest into a 4-day trip if you do it slowly and use all the trails.

It's a shame you said 'southern' Ohio, as I can see a nice flat 4-day trip just north of me in downtown Cleveland and you get to bag Canada as a bonus.

Marty Cooperman

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Ohio trip ideas? on 02/25/2010 13:51:06 MST Print View

I would recommend going about 2 hours further South into Kentucky's Red River Gorge. You will be rewarded with some of the most spectacular overhanging oxidized sandstone cliff-line labyrinths in North America.

One of the many (88 major) arches in the wilderness area:

RRG Angel Arch

One of the convenient bathing facilities:

RRG Waterfall

Sections of the Sheltowee Trace Trail would make a good through hike, but my preference is to follow the meandering ridge lines and use the trail systems within the wilderness area itself. PM me for more detail, or search online. It is an awesome place!

Edited by biointegra on 02/25/2010 13:57:21 MST.

John A
(JohnA) - F

Locale: Great Lakes State
OH/KY hikes on 02/25/2010 19:19:59 MST Print View

Nice pics of the Red River Gorge!

I had Shawnee in my sights, actually. Think we'd be able to make the entire loop, plus the Backcountry/Wilderness area trail (another 9.8 miles, I think)? Would you recommend it as an interesting trip?

Thanks to you both!

John A

Edited by JohnA on 03/30/2010 10:24:41 MDT.