Forum Index » GEAR » GoLite Infinity VS GoLite Jam

Display Avatars Sort By:

(Anonymous)
GoLite Infinity VS GoLite Jam on 04/28/2006 19:09:31 MDT Print View

Im just wondering what you guys think. Let me know

Richard Loar
(loarrh) - F
Re: GoLite Infinity VS GoLite Jam on 04/28/2006 21:49:28 MDT Print View

I have the infinity and absolutely love it. My trail weight of the pack is usually sub 20 lbs. When I BP with my wife, the weight goes to just under 30. The pack easily handles these weights comfortably.

douglas ray
(Dray)

Locale: Olympic Peninsula
A Plug for the Jam on 04/29/2006 09:28:59 MDT Print View

I own the Jam and honestly, of the 8 packs I own or have owned, it's my favorite. Durability was a bit of an issue for me and so far it's shown no signs of wear even in the brush and on the rocks where people report shredding the silnylon packs from golite. I don't feel the need to baby it at all. It's very comfortable, a soft pack conforms to your back in a way that no frame pack I've ever carried does. It almost feels more like wearing a vest than carying a pack. Up to 25 pounds it's the most comfortable pack I've worn.
I also like the feature set, as it can carry all of the tools that I want to carry (ice axe, instep crampons, poles, snow claw, snowshoes) and it is just the right size for 1-4 night trips. But if you think you might need to carry more than 25lb much the infinity would be better. The unlimited suspension is impressive if you need the load hauling ability, but extra weight if you don't. And the durability issue depends on what you are going to do with it.

Edited by Dray on 04/29/2006 09:30:11 MDT.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: A Plug for the Jam on 04/29/2006 10:37:14 MDT Print View

I own a Golite jam as well, It is the most comfortable pack I have used. I works great for general backpacking and lightweight mountaineering.

With the adidtion of one strap going across the front of the pack like on the golite gust, It has been able to attach anything from crampons to snow shoes, and the 2 ice axe loops are over kill, I only use one. I plan on using this pack for an AT thru hike as well as a summit pack for mountains in the cascades, and a trekking/summit pack for a few of the seven summits.
its a dang good pack

And if you are considering a larger/ heavier pack I like the wild things andinista pack

3lbs 14oz
5500 cu.in. (1800 cu.in. if fully compressed)
tough, light, and has all the bells and whistles
and with the compression system you can go from a day pack to a large mountaineering pack. great all purpose pack
$350 or $650 in spectra

Edited by ryanf on 04/29/2006 10:53:15 MDT.

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: A Plug for the Jam on 04/29/2006 22:11:42 MDT Print View

I own both packs and both are excellent. For me the could would come down to what pack weight would be more typical for the trips I do: Jam for 25 and less, Infinity for 30+.
-Mark

Stephen Eggleston
(happycamper) - F

Locale: South Bayish
Re: GoLite Infinity VS GoLite Jam on 05/01/2006 07:06:15 MDT Print View

I own the Jam and love it. I have only tried a friend's Infinity and have no practical experience with it. I prefer the fabric on the jam to the fabric on the infinity.