BSA Leader Training School Offered by Backpacking Light May 21-23
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
BSA Leader Training School Offered by Backpacking Light May 21-23 on 02/23/2010 17:50:31 MST Print View

Hello All:

In partnership with Montana BSA, Backpacking Light is offering a leader training on May 21-23 open to a nationwide audience:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/wilderness_skills_ii_bsa.html

Please let us know if you have any questions, and sign up for a stock alert if intersted - we will likely be opening registration tomorrow.

In addition, we'd appreciate any help in getting the word out to the USA Scouting Community about this course.

Best,
Ryan

Edited by ryan on 02/23/2010 17:54:01 MST.

Ryan Jordan

Registration for BSA Leader Training/Ultralight Backpacking Course Now Open on 02/24/2010 09:32:44 MST Print View

Link above in previous post, registration is now open for this program.

Douglas Prosser
(daprosser) - MLife

Locale: Camarillo, California (SCAL)
LIghtening up your Philmont Packs on 03/02/2010 11:27:24 MST Print View

If you are really interested in lightening up your packs for Philmont come on out to Montana for a long weekend & we'll show you a "different" way of backpacking. We'll have you all set for your June, July, August treks.

You will be the lightest people at Philmont!!!

Looking forward to the fun & opportunity to share & learn from all of you.

terry a thompson
(terry588) - MLife

Locale: West
Re: Registration for BSA Leader Training/Ultralight Backpacking Course Now Open on 03/08/2010 16:19:45 MST Print View

Hi Ryan,

I paid for two spots for the leader training class in ultra light backpacking. When I went to the registration page it only has registration for the boys trek the box at the bottom for the leader trek has a line thru it. Was there another registration form that I missed? How do we register?

thanks, terry588

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Re: Registration for BSA Leader Training/Ultralight Backpacking Course Now Open on 03/08/2010 16:49:18 MST Print View

Hi Terry,

Are you using the page Ryan linked to in his initial post? That should take you to the leader training page and allow you to add it to your shopping cart. You can PM me or email school -at- backpackinglight -dot- com if you continue to have problems.

Thanks,
Chris

Edited by simplespirit on 03/08/2010 16:49:55 MST.

Joe Huber
(electronic3y3) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area
Southern California Course? on 03/11/2010 07:51:01 MST Print View

I hope this course is a success. I would love to attend, but I can't justify the transportation costs this year. (I'm not in an active backpacking troop, but I would like to change that).

I think this is a valuable course and would like to use it to supplement HAT training in our council. We don't have any UL instructors.

michael mercer
(mmercer)

Locale: Northern Virginia
May 21-23rd Leader Training on 03/17/2010 20:07:42 MDT Print View

Looking forward to the training as the advice from my Council literally has me loading down scouts with 40% of their body weight in their pack - not just nutty but downright unsafe. Thanks for offering the course.

Have access to the company plane leaving from Washington DC to Montana. Can take others or pick folks up on the route if you don't want to hassle with the airlines. You can even bring your knives! Let me know if you want to ride in style.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: BSA Leader Training School Offered by Backpacking Light May 21-23 on 03/17/2010 21:42:12 MDT Print View

Too bad this wasn't for the first trek or I'd take you up on the flight. I have a conflict with the May training event.

Ryan, how has the response to this been?

Edited by topshot on 03/17/2010 21:42:57 MDT.

Ryan Jordan

Re: Re: BSA Leader Training School Offered by Backpacking Light May 21-23 on 03/17/2010 21:55:10 MDT Print View

The response has been outstanding to this course, and we are nearly sold out. I'm trying to figure out how to open up a few more slots :)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
BSA Leader Training School on 03/17/2010 23:14:53 MDT Print View

I'm trying to figure out how to get the time off for a spot! And wishing Texas was on the flight path between Washington and Montana.

Emil Friberg
(friberge) - MLife

Locale: Washington DC
Re: May 21-23rd Leader Training on 03/22/2010 11:51:09 MDT Print View

Mike Mercer -- could contact me offline regarding your transportation offer? Thanks, emilfriberg@hotmail.com

Cubby Brendle
(cubster) - F
Re: May 21-23rd Leader Training on 03/22/2010 21:47:11 MDT Print View

Mike Mercer,

I'm also interested in your travel arrangement depending on departure time. Most likely I won't be able to go because of prior engagements, but if you're leaving late I may be able to swing it. If you could pm me that would be great. Thanks

Cubby

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Re: May 21-23rd Leader Training on 03/22/2010 21:58:18 MDT Print View

Mike,

I am also interested in details, please PM me or send me an email at kitraeeyeofdrakonus@hotmail.com .

Edited by goosefeet on 03/22/2010 21:59:05 MDT.

JASON CUZZETTO
(cuzzettj) - MLife

Locale: NorCal - South Bay
to: "BSA Leader Training School Offered by BPL May 21-23" on 03/22/2010 22:11:18 MDT Print View

I don't have a company plane I can use, however, I have a car and am willing on driving from the bay area to Montana for the class if anyone is interested? It will be a long drive but I am use to long hours so no worries there. Any takers? Otherwise, I will use my Miles.

Thank you,

Jason Cuzzetto

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
RE: May 21-23rd Leader Training on 03/29/2010 23:22:58 MDT Print View

I've signed up for the course, and I have a question: Is there a mailing address to send TSA restricted items (specifically a knife)?

JASON CUZZETTO
(cuzzettj) - MLife

RE: "BSA Leader Training School - Air Travel with Knife on 04/02/2010 14:29:56 MDT Print View

If you check a piece of luggage at the ticket counter you can bring your knife. You just don't want to have it going through x-ray. I bring a knife for work when I travel all the time. I just can't hand carry it on the aircraft. It must be in your checked baggage. I keep mine in my shaving kit.

Thanks - Jason

JASON CUZZETTO
(cuzzettj) - MLife

to: "BSA Leader Training School: Inova 8 tried and failed - too narrow on 04/02/2010 14:56:37 MDT Print View

So I have been working the school's list pretty hard.

I am a big guy and have big feet. The Inova-8 shoes didn't cut it for me. Size 13 length was good and the fit at the back of the heal was ok, however the front toe box was crowded for my wider feet.

I use to manage an outdoor shoe store so I have a lot of experience with shoe fit. These would do better for the narrower footed person.

Jason

Edited by cuzzettj on 04/02/2010 15:14:27 MDT.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: BSA Leader Training School Offered by BPL May 21-23 on 05/26/2010 21:44:01 MDT Print View

How did it go?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
BSA Leader Training School on 05/26/2010 22:26:07 MDT Print View

I'm still bummed I didn't get to go.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: BSA Leader Training School on 05/28/2010 12:35:36 MDT Print View

My post

Sam's post

There will also be an article in a least one of the major Scouting magazines.

Edited by simplespirit on 05/28/2010 12:36:25 MDT.