November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Marmot Trails Bag
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Stoughton
(TxTengu) - F

Locale: Seattle
Marmot Trails Bag on 04/27/2006 09:55:15 MDT Print View

Has anyone had any experience with the Marmot Trails bag? According to the manufacturer it's a synthetic liner/summer bag rated to 45 degrees. At 1lb 3oz and $79 it seems like a pretty good value.

Tariqa Mead
(fenester) - F
info from marmot rep. on 04/27/2006 10:05:14 MDT Print View

I don't have any experience with it, but I was looking at it as well and talked to a Marmot rep. regarding using it as a liner. He said it would add 10-15 deg. to another bag's rating as an OVERbag. Despite their listing as a liner, he said it would work better over another bag and would be a tight fit inside most mummy bags.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Re: info from marmot rep. on 04/27/2006 11:27:05 MDT Print View

>>>" Despite their listing as a liner, he said it would work better over another bag and would be a tight fit inside most mummy bags."<<<

This almost sounds like a contradiction. If it would be a tight fit inside most mummy bags, would it be large enough to encompass another bag?

Laurence Daniels
(GNR) - F

Locale: Boston
I owned one... on 04/27/2006 15:59:14 MDT Print View

very briefly. I am a cold sleeper, so I use a zipperless bag even on warm nights. I tried using the Trails bag, but I would always feel chilly. I felt even the slightest of drafts, as there is no loft, the Driclime just wasn't warm enough for me. I used it as a blanket at home, as it unzips fully, but then felt like a gear wierdo and sold it.

I too agree that as an overbag, things would be a bit tight, however, I never tried it as a liner.

david fausnight
(rckjnky) - F
trails on 04/27/2006 16:25:57 MDT Print View

I also own one of these, and I like it very much. I have used mine at about 60F and stayed warm enough. I might be able to take it to 50 F if I put on a hat etc. However, if I was worried about being cold I would chose a down bag that would be far warmer for the weight. Its a great bag when the concern is being too hot.

I just tried it both as a liner and an over bag with my Marmot Hydrogen. I liked it better as an over bag. The driclime fleece has a little too much "grip" to make sorting things out inside the bag very easy. But again its a weight/warmth issue, I rather take a one warmer bag.

Patrick Young
(lightingboy) - F

Locale: Southwest
Marmot trails on 10/30/2008 12:49:19 MDT Print View

I have the new Trestle Trails. It is unfortunatley heavier at 24oz. I'm going to modify it into a quilt. Hope to drop it to under 16oz. I have taken the bag down to 28.8F wearing my MontBell Ul inner jacket and pants with a ss base top and wool boxers and wool socks and light balaclava in a bivy. I needed more warmth for my feet. Other than my feet I was actually comfortable.