Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: delete from ULA on 03/25/2010 06:34:29 MDT Print View

It's confusing, isn't it?

青柳さんはULAのパックを買いたいと思ってますか?
今まで買った事有りますか?
もし持ってるならパックの事どう思ってますか?

Sometimes I wish I had taken the opportunity to buy a ULA pack while I had the chance...

Yohei Aoyagi
(zzz_bear) - MLife

Locale: Tokyo
Re: Re: delete from ULA on 03/25/2010 09:04:10 MDT Print View

ミゲルさん、こんにちは!

>It's confusing, isn't it?

Yes, That's right.
I have used the ULA packs and like it.
So I was looking forward to the Camino too.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: delete from ULA on 03/25/2010 09:13:13 MDT Print View

こんにちは、青柳さん!
冬の山行ってますか?
大菩薩峠に行こうと思ってるけど、ちょっと天気が心配。

I have only used the ULA Arctic Dry Pack, which I like, but is inconvenient in some ways. I'm wondering what the Camino is like and what the Epic will look like. Both the Epic and BPL's autumn Arctic Pack both have me very curious.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
They must be doing something right (business wise) on 03/25/2010 09:41:45 MDT Print View

On my last section hike on the lower AT I saw more ULA packs than any single other brand.

Out of the 30 or so people I ran into, over half of which were early thru-hikers (this was early feb), I counted literally 14 ULA packs.

12 of which were Catalysts, one Ohm, and one Circuit. Obviously the Circuit and Ohm users were the only ones that really had done any major research into their packs, as I asked almost everybody that was carting around a catalyst how they liked the pack. Some people didn't even really know how they chose the Catalyst, I'm guessing they're getting recommended left and right.

Guys I ran into from the WestCoast said that when they did their PCT thru, it was by far the most popular pack on the trail also.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: They must be doing something right (business wise) on 03/25/2010 09:49:18 MDT Print View

They were. The company is under new ownership and there hasn't been enough time to tell how things will do now.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: Re: They must be doing something right (business wise) on 03/25/2010 09:54:02 MDT Print View

Well, I have no idea how well they're doing from a business management perspective, but I'm just saying, they're selling the hell out of Catalysts.

90% of those packs were brand new, one still had tags on it.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: Re: They must be doing something right (business wise) on 03/25/2010 09:59:06 MDT Print View

Probably all purchased from Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap. They push Catalysts pretty hard there.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: Re: Re: Re: They must be doing something right (business wise) on 03/25/2010 10:03:16 MDT Print View

Yeah I noticed.. They've also got some like, 2 year old stock of SMD's.. Good prices actually on those.

Let me know if you want to go hiking sometime Chris :p

I'm in GA also.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
ULA <3 on 03/25/2010 10:05:43 MDT Print View

I think it is great to see ULA packs on the AT and PCT, instead of Gregory, Osprey and similar packs. Hell, I just watched a (2008, German produced featuring US Americans) AT documentary yesterday and in 90 minutes I saw ONE GoLite Pinnacle, everything else was Gregory, TNF, Osprey, Deuter, and all other major players, no single cottage pack. So of the 2000 or so attempted AT thru-hikers only a tiny % seems to make an effort of educating themselves on gear, and if they end up with a ULA Catalyst, good on them.

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
Re: ULA Camino on 03/25/2010 11:01:15 MDT Print View

On my AT thru last year the top 3 brands of packs I saw were Granite Gear, Osprey and ULA. Shelters on the other hand were more onesided with a majority being a Shires Tarp Tent. So I'd say the small home brew companies have a major place on that trail.

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
On the PCT... on 04/17/2010 01:35:08 MDT Print View

ULA had a huge presence, partially due to being at the Kick Off. I was actually pretty surprised. I must admit the Catalyst really held up amazingly well for the abuse I put that thing through. A good pack indeed.

Dirk

Shawn Oakley
(oakleyhoma) - F

Locale: western NC
Camino, last I heard on 04/20/2010 14:58:03 MDT Print View

I was watching for the Camino and saw it disappear from the website. I contacted ULA and was told their dyneema shipment wouldn't arrive in February as expected, now will be early May. So maybe in production sometime in May and (I hope) something on the ULA site about it... soon I'm hoping.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
ULA Camino on 07/15/2010 15:42:28 MDT Print View

ULA CAMINO

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
re: ULA Camino on 07/16/2010 14:47:21 MDT Print View

Hmmm... 48oz panel loader with frame stays, but the volume capacity of a Conduit. I don't think the panel loading feature (for me) is worth the additional weight. I'll be interested to hear others weigh in on this.

Caitlin Peerson
(Mtngirl530) - F
Re: ULA Camino on 07/26/2010 16:58:25 MDT Print View

Not quite a reply so much as a new question. How's the back panel on this pack? I'm concerned that it won't breath and my back will be soaked with sweat...

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
2400ci on 07/26/2010 19:27:56 MDT Print View

2400ci main body, which is the same size as the Circuit, but with smaller front and side pockets. Twin stay frame-sheet, which kicks the weight up a bit. I would think you could remove the alum. stays when carrying lighter loads, if needed?