Forum Index » Chaff » The most polite forum

Display Avatars Sort By:
bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)
The most polite forum on 02/21/2010 20:11:18 MST Print View

It has come to my attention that of all the forums I belong to or visit, BPL is by far the most polite. I have several intensive hobbies that keep me wandering forums for several hours and this one is always the mellowest. People are for the most part polite and that is very refreshing.
As an aside, am I the only one jonesing for spring? I have read every guide book I own and am now working on Edible Plants of the Rockies (for probably the tenth time). My Ed Abbey collection was exhausted by Christmas.

Snowbound and Down
BJ

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
What global warming? on 02/21/2010 20:34:34 MST Print View

BJ, it is nice of you to post that. I grew up in Choteau, MT, and was happy to get away from those -15*F winters. So I ended up in Boulder, and this winter I've had a dark and cold blue ice glacier on my north-facing driveway for the last 3 months, and I'm about to vote for a global warming iniative. I ran out of Abbey a month ago, so now I'm reading about Costa Rica. Our Fed. disaster medical response team was hoping for a Haiti deployment, but no go. But at least the days are getting longer, and we can plan things besides snowshoeing, skiing, and hot brandy. Hang in there, girl.

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

mmm... Costa Rica on 02/21/2010 21:50:28 MST Print View

Mmm... Costa Rica. I hear it's warm there this time of year. I am a bio major from way back. There used to be a research station in Costa Rica that was literally mowed to the borders. I have often wondered if the last couple of square miles survived. Some questions you just don't want to know the answer to. Gonna have to google earth to remember.

4 Degrees F. and falling.

BJ

Edited by lilorphanbilly on 02/21/2010 21:53:39 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: mmm... Costa Rica on 02/21/2010 21:52:43 MST Print View

At least you guys out west have mountains to look at during long winter! I've got gray flatlands here in Wisconsin.....makes for a looooong winter.

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

mountains on 02/21/2010 21:58:43 MST Print View

As a general rule the mountains this time of year are either breathtakingly beautiful or totally invisible, usually the latter. It is kind of eerie when you know the horizon should be there but it isn't and everything is white. Actually it is really cool. I get to drive several hundred miles to work tomorrow and check out two of our island mountain ranges so yeah, it is a killer place to live. By the way, where I live is flatter than Kansas, only with MTs in the distance.

-2F

BJ

Edited by lilorphanbilly on 02/21/2010 22:08:56 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: mountains on 02/21/2010 22:07:43 MST Print View

Mountains are always great to look at no matter whether there's snow on them, trees, brown scrub, or if the whole thing is on fire.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: mountains on 02/21/2010 22:21:50 MST Print View

Mountains are even beautiful when you can't see them!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
The most polite forum on 02/21/2010 22:23:55 MST Print View

This is my favorite forum. So what is it like not to be able to camp year round?;-)