I made this tarp using some of my own ideas and a combination of features from other tarp designs that appealed to me. I added 12 inches to Jay Ham's original ridgeline length of 78". I also used a catenary curve in the ridgeline. I used the spreadsheet to calculate the curve that is available on Lance's Web Page at http://www.wvi.com/~ulmyog thanks to Lance Marshall. The deviation was -2 9/16" at midpoint. I used 1.1 oz silnylon seconds and Gutermann thread for this project. This silnylon tarp in its stuff sack weighs in at 10.8 oz without lines attached. My hammock weighed in at 2 1/2 pounds.
All of the tieouts have 1/8" shockcord and Kelty Triptease Lightline attached to them. The shockcord and Triptease are joined together using two overhand knots threaded through each other and pulled tight against each other forming what is called a "fishermen's knot".
The shockcord is attached to the tieouts using a "lark's head" knot and the Triptease is knotted to form a loop at the end using a doubled figure eight knot. The resulting loop is formed into a "lark's head" and attached to 6 1/2" titanium stakes.
After adjusting and final setting my stakes the tension provided by the shockcord under tension should keep my tarp pitched tightly through the night.
I made my front and rear tieouts using grosgrain ribbon and brass grommets.
The tips of my trekking poles are located in grommets installed in doubled over and sewn 3/4" grosgrain ribbon. These ribbons are attached via boxstitching to the tarps ridgeline reinforcements. I got the idea to adapt this method and modify it for use on my personal MYOG SUL tarp after viewing Glen Van Peski's 2009 SETUP VIDEO of the SpinnTwinn™ tarp. Thanks Glen. Now there will be no more guess work or fumbling with half hitches in the front and rear guy lines.
On the front and rear overhangs I used shockcord threaded through the tieouts and joined at the ends using the "fishermen's knot".
I didn't pull the two overhand knots tightly against each other this time because I wanted some adjustability in the loop of shockcord.
Inside on the underside of the ridgeline I sewed in two 1/2" grosgrain ribbon loops as attachment points for the support of a future bug net MYOG project of mine.
The accessory loops are the two dark spots along the ridgeline. The front loop is stitched into the front tieout reinforcement and the rear is stitched into the felled seam of the ridgeline about halfway to the rear.
This is not the end! :-) I still need to seam seal the tarp and melt the ends of the shockcord and Triptease to avoid unraveling of my guylines.
Thank you very much to George Carr, Jamie Shortt, James Lantz and Matt Lutz for your kind words, advice and input on my thread "Pitching My Tarp Experiment :-)". Setting up this new tarp was very easy after applying your advice and suggestions.
Making my own personal hiking gear is simply part of my hobby which is ultimately hiking. If I were doing it for a living I'd probably lose my shirt. :-) It is very satisfying and rewarding. Thanks again for everyone's help. :-)
Party On ! 2010