Forum Index » GEAR » Shelter Nostalgia

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph Reeves
(Umnak)

Locale: Southeast Alaska
First single wall gore-tex tent on 02/22/2010 23:24:57 MST Print View

This tent was purchased in 1976 or early 77 from Early Winters. I bought it while I was living in the Aleutians and it went with me to Sierra Leone, both very wet places. The goretex fabric held up well, but I could never adequately seal the seams along the front. Last seen sometime in the mid 80's, lost in a move.

On the road to Falaba, 1979

Light Dimension Tent

Roman Dial
(romandial) - F - M

Locale: packrafting NZ
old tents on 02/22/2010 23:47:54 MST Print View

mmore! please!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Shelter Nostalgia on 02/23/2010 01:19:42 MST Print View

Unfortunately I don't have any old pictures because I rarely took a camera with me, because they weighed too much. From the 60's until sometime in the 80's my only camera was a Yashica twin lens reflex. Finally got rid of it when 120 roll film became hard to get. Plus I would either loose the film, it would get wet, or I couldn't afford to get the pictures developed. So those who remember that camera will probably remember this tent.

This is an old Sierra Designs Super Flashlight, which is in excellent shape. I took these pictures for my daughter when she borrowed it a few years back for a trip. The purpose of the pictures was for a set of instructions so she could set it up. BTW I lived in this thing for 48 hours straight when I got stuck in a blizzard on San Jacinto (even though it is a 3 season tent).

Super Flashlight Front Nest

Super Flashlight Rear Nest

Super Flashlight Front Fly

Super Flashlight Rear Fly

In the early 80's SD came out with the Flashlight, which had two modified hoops. Then the Super Flashlight, which was larger and had 3 modified hoops. Then they came out with the Clip Flashlight series.

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
Halfway Hijack on 02/23/2010 13:29:38 MST Print View

A bunch of vintage outdoors photos from the U of Wash. have been put up on flickr.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uw_digital_images/sets/

Edited by akajut on 02/23/2010 13:31:24 MST.

s k
(skots) - F
Re: Re: Shelter Nostalgia on 02/24/2010 10:12:10 MST Print View

Nice thread Miguel,

During the mid-nineties, I ran into a couple that was interested in pursuing an outdoor gear business. At the time, I was interested in a tent that was immune to child/kid abuse and suitable as a group tent for canoeing lay overs. The couple had been experimenting with a modified center pole design and had completed one prototype. I think that the one pictured below is the second rendition, as well as the last. Rare and easy on the eyes.

Tent Photo

It is 88 sq. ft., single wall 70d nylon, with a 200d floor, and a center zipped vestibule that attaches to either end. Sans vestibule, the "taj" pushes the needle at the local basic materials dealer, just past 15lbs. The vestibule is not practical for entry, but decent for gear storage, and as you might imagine, quite welcome in wind. It is dry, ventilates very well, but challenged by cool, still, humidity.

I was hesitant about the lack of bathtub floor, but when set up the perimeter seams tension up about 1 1/2-2 inches above the ground. It is very skillfully sewn. Instead of counting sheep as I drift off to sleep, I'm prone to counting roof panels and following the endless seam lines.

Still in use, three of us used it in the Boundary waters last Sept. The photo is from the South Arm of the Knife.

Lucas Boyer
(jhawkwx) - MLife

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
re: backpacker 78 on 02/25/2010 07:42:40 MST Print View

I had to double check the magazine name on Rick's wayback thread, the advertisements had me thinking I was perusing an adult publication. A few gems I found:

Alpenlite Packs

"Isn't it time you let your hips shoulder the load?" (photo of woman in tight jeans w/ hip and hind quarter prominently displayed as leg is lifted.)

Alpine Products Inc.

"In the dark they all look alike. But looks aren't everything. At some point you'll have to use your sleeping bag."

Madison avenue Madmen! So dirty.

This thread doesn't make me feel so bad about holding on to a Eureka Timberline 4 man. It mostly collects dust in my basement, but I hate parting w/ gear.