Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiker in Need!! can you help?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Many Hikers in Need on 03/16/2010 12:03:43 MDT Print View

Kathleen:

The spreadsheet I put together was for Don. However, if folks are interested, I can add a generic one as well.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: "Hiker in Need!! can you help?" on 03/16/2010 12:33:07 MDT Print View

Thank you, Kathleen, for your kind words. That's really nice. Thanks to Thom Darrah and other very generous and kind members of BPL I only need one piece of gear for my kit to be complete. And, that I can get on my own.

As for sustainable employment, something will pop. I'm sure of it. I am grateful for the work that I have been able get since this whole thing started.

Patrick Matte
(JPMatte) - M

Locale: N. Georgia
Filter on 03/17/2010 18:38:52 MDT Print View

It will be shipped in the am!Have fun!!!!!!!!

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
Good Journey on 03/17/2010 21:27:02 MDT Print View

Honestly I don't know why I lerk here anymore. I don't backpack much anymore, busy family life and what not. Then I read a thread like this and realize that you all are fine and generous people and I respect you for that.

As a natural skeptic I was worried that Don was taking advantage of everyone, but I completely believe his sincerity. I even feel guilty that I have nothing to donate. I work hard and all the gear I have is all I can afford.

Don this is for you,
I hope your journey is a revelation and not just a quick escape from your problems. You have been through some very tough times but there is a fine line between running away and a well needed break. I hope your journey shows you more paths then the just the trail. Go and find your center and make these people proud to have helped you.

Don (Biloxi) Carter
(donjuan70) - F

Locale: Red Neck Riviera
general update on 03/23/2010 18:14:45 MDT Print View

hello everyone..
sorry for the long break in between updates but my sister has been on her vacation this past week or so.
anyway, alot of gear has arrived I want to thank
Cola.V for the tarp and pack (I will be returning the pack)going with the GG pack..but thank you so much
Jack.F for use of the tarptent
Patrick.M for the filter..got it!!thanks
Terry.T for sending the guides and info
Evan.C for ursack and bug bivy
Jeff.K..gloves and fleece
Dave.S and Tony.W and George.C and Heesoo.C all of you Thank you!!
I know I missed some people.. but really each one here thank you, without BPL this hike would have never been possible,I honestly thought my hiking plans were done until this happened
as of now, the plan is the same I will start the trail April 17th and give it my all..I wish I had more time here to really explain my feelings and reasons for this hike along with my hopes,fears and expectations of myself, but I don't and maybe thats for the best.
I play this hike out every night in my mind,the HOW?
and it changes nightly
I have all the needed gear,the means to eat while on trail and the WANT..along with the NEED to do something different
because what I have been doing clearly is NOT working.
as of NOW..my mom is doing great and I feel she will be fine for awhile without me.
I have no work in the near future and to much time on my hands.
my kids are grown and making their own mistakes.
and for the first time I can remember, no one to depend on me!so I think it is ME time
just in the last 10 years sooo much has happened and I made it!!
how?...by the grace of God.it's the only way I can explain it..why ME? so I take things as they come, and this hike has come!!
I dont know how I will be changed by this trip, but I am sure something is in store for me!!good or bad it is meant to be.
I will probly be on here 2-3 times before I leave, I hope to keep everyone informed as to how the hike is going
I want to keep a journal for the hike and would love to find a transcriber here..any volunteers let me know
anyway..thank you everyone again, if I missed you..sorry I lost my list of who sent what and am trying to remember now..lol
if anyone would like to talk or contact me..feel free, my info is in the 1st post and on the sheet of gear Ben made up
thanks to everyone that responded with gear or just well wishes and understanding..THANK YOU
I will do my best to make BPL proud. God Bless
Don

D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
right on Don! on 03/23/2010 20:11:52 MDT Print View

Get to it man, enjoy the journey and soak it all in! Amazing bit of humanity assembled here on this humble forum----sort of restores your faith in our species.

couch

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: right on Don! on 03/23/2010 20:30:51 MDT Print View

Yeah, Don- ENJOY

From one Mississippi boy to another- Get the hell offa Point Cadet and get your butt in the woods!

John Drollette
(tradja) - F

Locale: Central Oregon
OR/WA book on 03/25/2010 11:24:16 MDT Print View

I've got a spare current-edition OR/WA PCT guidebook (Shaeffer, et al) if you need it. Email sent and spreadsheet updated.

Evan Chartier
(evanchartier) - M
Don on 04/04/2010 01:12:42 MDT Print View

Don- hey man the weather is great out here in SoCal! Come on down! Hope to see you at kick off!
Evan

Don (Biloxi) Carter
(donjuan70) - F

update for my thru on 04/16/2010 19:16:30 MDT Print View

Hey everyone..
well I made it out here to San Diego and I start the trail in the morning I am staying with terry.t tonight and he is dropping me at the border tomorrow, I wanted to thank everyone again for all your help, without this site, this trip would have remained a dream,but here I go!!
wish me luck..and I will do my best to make BPL proud!
good luck to all this years class I hope to meet lots of you along the way..I will be back for the kick off next weekend hope to see some of you there..THANKS AGAIN
AND GOD BLESS US ALL!!Don

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Don does the PCT on 04/16/2010 19:45:57 MDT Print View

Step by Step.

Savor it. It may easily be the great adventure of your life! Good luck and Godspeed.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Go, man on 04/16/2010 21:15:22 MDT Print View

Go with God, Biloxi, knowing that a lot of BPL folks are rooting for you. You'll do fine...

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Hiker in Need!!! on 04/16/2010 21:19:20 MDT Print View

Good luck Don--Enjoy the trekking poles..I will be by HWY 108 and HWY 4 several times in June and July if you are up there at that time..I could help out with a resuply if need be....Have fun and Enjoy Dude!

-Jay

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Hiker in Adventure!!! on 04/17/2010 19:02:06 MDT Print View

Don:

Have tons of fun!!! Post updates and pics when you can!

terry a thompson
(terry588) - MLife

Locale: West
DON'S Hike Adventure!!! on 04/17/2010 19:49:39 MDT Print View

Just an update to let everyone know that I dropped Don off at the boarder at 6:30am this morning and plan to pick him up in Warner Springs on Wednesday in the am and take him to the ADZ kickoff for the weekend. He was in much better spirits this morning after a good nights sleep and removing 13lbs of unneeded stuff from his pack.

We all wish him well!!
Terry T.

david hensley
(AliasDave) - F
Biloxi on 04/25/2010 17:30:00 MDT Print View

I met Don at the kickoff and even shared the same campground with him. He is an awesome guy, and we became quite the good trail friends! Hopefully, I'll do some hiking with him in this coming PCT thru-hike!

You guys and gals did a great thing for Don/Biloxi and he is so thankful and couldn't stop talking about all the BPL members!

Zombie- PCT 2010 hopeful

Mike McHenry
(mtmche2) - F
Great Story on 04/25/2010 17:42:12 MDT Print View

This is a great story guys. Makes me even more proud of the hiking community. I hope all goes well.

Graeme Finley
(gfinley001) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Great Story on 04/26/2010 12:12:01 MDT Print View

I got to meet Don at the kick-off as well. He was in pretty good spirits. I also saw him featured on the attached local SD news report about the bad weather in the Lagunas about 40 miles north of the border (click on 2nd page of Videos Gallery for video titled "Storm dropping rain, snow and temperatures")

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12345793

Don (Biloxi) Carter
(donjuan70) - F

update from the trail on 05/05/2010 00:06:55 MDT Print View

hey everyone..I am still alive and on the move.
right now I am in Temecula staying with a former thru Tall Paul 04 great guy. having some knee issues but got cortisone shots 2 new braces, new shoes and will be back to resume from Warner springs..yep only 109 in so far I missed 3 and half days to kick off and 2 here recovering and resupplying and 1 on trail zero after some TERRIBLE weather.I have had it all,
hot start,freaking blizzard thru laguna,rain and some wind send from hell,blisters,knee problems,and I sat on a freakin cactus..talk about fun..
but I had 2 corndogs in the rain and things magicly were better, so I climbed from scissors in a wind ALL day to a semi secluded area ,battened down and stayed for 2 nights, had my 1st break down and took off, it's been better since, nice hiking the last couple days into warner.
the kick off was great..got to meet some GREAT people,
alot of thoseI had always said I would like to meet
BILLY GOAT
MEADOW MARY
YOGI
WARNER SPRINGS MONTY on and on and on....
the PCT is special the people , the volunteers,the organizers..all I can say is WOW
I have witnessed the trail angels leaving water, they hauled in to 3rd gate, the unbelievable trail work a short way from the border.
the tremendous effort it takes to even pull off ADZPCTKO
and I feel so blessed to be here.
as I have said before, I couldn't be here if it were not for BPL with all the help I recieved.
THANK YOU ALL.
anyway I am learning more as I go, getting used to my gear
letting my body dictate my pace, I am listening to it
I will continue to progress and get stronger..I sure am not 20 anymore TOTO but I made it this far, so no reason I cant do it.
on a side note ..when I started I weighed 200lb I weighed tonight and I am 182.5lb thats alot since the 17th with 5 zero's..but I am not hungry..I force myself to eat..o'well I guess the HIKER HUNGER with kick in eventualy.
I want to thank Terry Thompson for picking me up and getting me started aswell as cutting my weight and saving me on Laguna and just being a good person..thanks Terry
and Tall Paul 04 for getting me back to Laguna and letting me heal at his house and getting me back to Warner tomorrow
anyhow I was able to meeet alot of hikers, ALOT..
and it was cool, to explain to some just how this BPL community came together to help a felloew hiker even be there, choked me up a few times..
thank you all ..well its now 4th almost 5th and and I am behind of where I thought I should be..but you know what I am just where I am supposed to be
109 down..lots to go..KEEP PUSHIN
Biloxi

ps.ZOMBIE.thanks bud..missed you

Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Thanks for the update! on 05/05/2010 07:52:52 MDT Print View

Don,

It's great to hear you're doing well despite the challenges. You knew they had to come! In the end, you'll be a better man for "it all".