(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Size? on 02/19/2010 09:30:12 MST Print View

Height, Weight, Shoe size?

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Who wants to try posting a list? on 02/19/2010 09:38:23 MST Print View

With the items listed and committed? I might be able to get it done tomorrow but it's work today!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Who wants to try posting a list? on 02/19/2010 09:51:49 MST Print View

I'll do it. I'll start with a skeletal listing and put it up in "The Cloud" so people can add their items, make changes, etc.

john flanagan
(jackfl) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Hiker in Need!! can you help? on 02/19/2010 10:15:12 MST Print View

Hey Don - I have plenty of stuff that I can send as well but it's looking like things are getting pretty well covered! I can add a Tarptent Cloudburst to the mix, evafoam sleeping pad, size large tops, medium bottoms.

The list that Ben has offered to build will help guide both us and you. Truth to tell, looks to me like you will end up pretty well equiped to start.

At some point, it might be helpful to build on the idea of helping with food drops, pre-paid gift charge cards mailed to pickup points to assist with on the trail exspenses (like shoe replacement, socializing, etc.) Happy to help with either. I mirror the hope that you'll shoot an occasional post along the way if opportunity allows.

Godspeed.

Shawn Peyton
(alifeoutdoors) - F - MLife

Locale: Iron River, WI
Hiker in need on 02/19/2010 10:27:44 MST Print View

Hey Don sorry to hear about your trouble. I have some clothing I could help you out with if you're into wool. The shop I worked for was the first in the US to carry Icebreaker so I have more tops than I know what to do with. I could send you a full run of 190, 200, 260, 320 but they are all in XL. If this will fit you I'd be happy to send a care package of wool. I can do bottoms too if this doesn't gross you out hahahha. 200 and 260.

Also have a used Pocket Rocket and Titan Kettle I could send your way if you don't want to go with alcohol stove. Thought spirtits is going to be a lot cheaper than the MSR canisters.

Just send me a PM if interested whenever you can get back online and check this thread. Or you can email me at smpeyton@alifeoutdoors.com

Good luck Don and take care.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Don's Gear List -- A Work In Progress on 02/19/2010 10:40:29 MST Print View

Folks,

I've built a simple Excel spreadsheet. To add items, please:

1. click HERE .
2. Find the proper gear category.
3. Within the proper category, try to group like items together.
4. Indicate item name, description, size, etc.
5. Indicate your name (as shown in BPL)
6. Note that everything listed is considered a gift -- unless you indicate "Loaner" in the remarks column!

Don -- please indicate your height, weight, torso size, etc. in the area highlighted in RED.

I've left this document editable by everyone.

Edited by ben2world on 02/19/2010 10:52:21 MST.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Hiker in Need!! can you help? on 02/19/2010 15:05:40 MST Print View

This Community is AMAZING!
This isn't the first time I've seen something like this on BPL. It is incredible!

Elena Lee
(lenchik101) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)
Re-supply on 02/19/2010 15:24:51 MST Print View

I can help you with the re-supply at Snoqualmie Pass (Washington). I can leave a package for you at the Ski Gas Station.

Email me elena.lee@live.com with what you need, approximately by when you'll need it to be delivered there, and I'll buy it for you.

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Locale: Central Valley
Re: Don's Gear List -- A Work In Progress on 02/19/2010 15:49:51 MST Print View

You have to log in at google to save your changes, btw.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Don's Gear List -- A Work In Progress on 02/19/2010 15:59:36 MST Print View

Lori:

There is no "save" function on the spreadsheet. Whatever you add or change will simply remain.

As the document creator, I can log in and do a formal "save" -- and I'll do that from time to time.

Edited by ben2world on 02/19/2010 16:01:55 MST.

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Hiker in Need!! can you help on 02/19/2010 16:54:58 MST Print View

Ben! Nice job. I take back all those things I said about you

Greg Lewis
(gpl916) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: Hiker in Need!! can you help? on 02/19/2010 17:00:09 MST Print View

I don't have much gear laying around, but I can add a Visa gift card with a little cash on it. Maybe I could mail it to one of the members arranging a resupply? I would assume one of the early ones would be best.

Greg

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Poncho on 02/19/2010 18:04:56 MST Print View

Thanks for putting up the list thats great. The only rain gear I see is a poncho. I have a jacket I could loan, but it doesn't breath that well and it might have a leak on the shoulder (not sure). Don if you want it I'll be happy to send it but I would personally suggest that Equinox poncho thats actually what I use most of the time. I would hope that Don takes a lot of pictures. If he doesn't have a camera maybe a bunch of us could contribute disposables.

Edited by Cameron on 02/19/2010 18:07:41 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Hiker in Need! Resupply on 02/19/2010 18:10:05 MST Print View

I can offer a resupply and trail magic at Scott Mountain, section P.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Hiker in need can you help? on 02/20/2010 12:48:17 MST Print View

Hey Don, The BD trekking poles are in the mail- these are not loaners they are yours to keep...Hiking is good for the soul!!!!

-Jay

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Hiker in Need!! can you help?" on 02/20/2010 13:27:03 MST Print View

Ken - If you are going to do a resupply, I can give my donated food to you so I can avoid postage.

Seems silly to pay almost as much in postage as the food costs.

Hey Jay - before you donate anything else, check with me first, ok? ; )

Don (Biloxi) Carter
(donjuan70) - F

Locale: Red Neck Riviera
all I can say is WOW and thank you all on 02/20/2010 14:55:43 MST Print View

well 1st off let me say that I am blown away by all the generosity that has came from my request.
once again this BPL community has blown me away with there kindness and help.
however it may be tonight or possibly tomarrow before I will have enough time to sit down and really go through all the items offered and put together a list, the only net access I get is very limited to when my sister is home and I can get a ride.
with that let me offer my sizes for things to help out some
I am right at 6ft tall a nd weight around 200lbs I normally wear large and Xlarge clothing my shoe size is 11 to 12. someone here offered some icebreaker wool tops and bottoms. yes I need them they are actually some of my most missed gear.maybe a light weight and a mid weight set would work out best.
anyway I will look through all the post when I have a little more time to do so and go from there, but the address I gave is good if you have already sent things..and all stuff not used will be sent back to the members here that helped.
now, I do feel that I need to say something here to a couple of members that emailed me about a concern.
here it is last year I met a very wonderful,kind man here on BPL and we became friends, he helped me tremendously with redoing my setup to help with a shoulder injury that I had been dealing with.
he bought and let me pay him back over time, well after paying half of it back.really hard times hit and then the divorce,moving and not being able to find work.
and just the shear embarrassment of not being able to fullfill my promise to him.I do still owe him for a piece of gear.I have contacted him and let him know that I am sorry and that I do still fully intend to pay him what it owed plus some additional for his trouble and for it taking so long to fulfill my promise.
all else that I can do is again say I am very sorry and as soon as I do get work, he is 1st on my list.
he is a good man, a nice and kind man and I had let him down and for that I am sorry,that I lost his friendship above all.
well there it is..I hope that doesn't change anyones mind about helping me out, but if so I will understand.
I have always prided myself on my word and I failed to Thom.if anyone needs to contact me about this please do use the number listed in the 1st post please.
well my time is about up for today but maybe tonight I can come back and check this again.
I will try to respond to everyone as soon as possible.
thanks again to EVERYONE..you all are great, the tenitive PCT date is May 5th but if things work out maybe I will make kickoff!!
there will be an extensive trip report with pictures by the way..thanks again and GodBless us all.
Don

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

@ DON on 02/20/2010 15:30:02 MST Print View

Don:

I just sent you a PM letting you know we have a consolidated listing of contributions. Please go there to indicate next to each item whether it is something you want -- or not. The link is in your PM. Thanks.

PAUL RICHARDSON
(p178@aol.com) - F
Do I understand this correctly? on 02/20/2010 16:43:33 MST Print View

You owe someone money and you have decided to go hiking for an extended period instead of obtaining a job and paying him back?

Hike your own hike I guess....I certainly couldn't sleep well at night.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Do I understand this correctly? on 02/20/2010 16:56:17 MST Print View

Not that I know Don at all, but just reading his post -- the guy lost his job and went through a bitter divorce. I think it's quite OK to try to give himself a temporary break. It's not like he's been bumming off strangers his whole life.

After this temporary break, when he's all refreshed, employed, and gives a helping hand to others -- then the world becomes a little better off -- and that sounds just fine to me.