Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Vancouver 2010
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Vancouver 2010 on 02/12/2010 19:05:21 MST Print View

Anyone else watching the olympic coverage and all these shots of BC?

This is bad. Now I want to plan a trip.

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 02/12/2010 19:31:33 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Vancouver 2010 on 02/12/2010 19:07:56 MST Print View

Nope. Haven't had an interest in/watched the Olympics for quite some time now.

But Vancouver is another story. I'd love to backpack up there!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Vancouver 2010 on 02/12/2010 19:25:01 MST Print View

My folks live in BC and there are good reasons why this city keeps getting rated as one of the most livable cities in the world. Vibrant urban center aside, its surroundings are top notch for nature lovers as well. Makes Seattle look positively shabby IMO (one of my brothers lives there).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Vancouver 2010 on 02/12/2010 19:28:20 MST Print View

I also have a brother who lives in Seattle. Probably adds to its shabbiness.....

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Hiking on 02/13/2010 13:10:58 MST Print View

Yup, lots of good hiking up here :)

It's great how varied the terrain is. Vancouver Island is so lush with huge trees, cliffs, waterfalls etc and then just North of Vancouver you've got some awesome parks (ie. Garbaldi) with classic epic BC terrain and then a couple hours further North (ie. Stein Valley) you get into more rugged and drier terrain. It's all awesome.

Edited by dandydan on 02/13/2010 13:14:39 MST.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Ski hajj on 02/13/2010 13:26:02 MST Print View

I've skied Whistler-Blackcomb and, brother, every North American who skis MUST make a hajj to that place once in their life. It is mandatory. It was the most outstanding skiing I've ever experienced.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

WB on 02/14/2010 03:52:50 MST Print View

Yeah it's a lot of fun. This season has been great too. The annual average snowfall is 403" and we're at 420" already with over 2 months to go. That's Whistler in my profile pic.

One of my favourite things about WB is how accessible the backcountry is. Regardless of how crazy the crowds get on weekends, you're never more than a 30 minute hike away from an amazing run in bottomless pow. Tomorrow will be day 55 for me this season :)

Edited by dandydan on 02/14/2010 03:53:33 MST.

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
Yep its beautiful! on 02/20/2010 21:57:02 MST Print View

From Canada myself but from the East. Been to Vancouver many times. BC as a whole is amazing! Its a pure trekers dream! Cept for the Grizzly... other than that its great. Just carry some bear spray and dont keep any food on your camp site!!

Had a Grizzly come into our camp at night a few years back... we had to hang back for a good two hours before he left. Split my tent along the side and got into it, didnt tear up anything else though. Nothing some Duct tape didnt fix. Was our own fault though. We didnt take care of the food before leaving camp for a short hike.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Vancouver on 02/21/2010 00:08:32 MST Print View

It's also rated as one of the most expensive to live in in North America.

"Vancouver is now only four percentage points cheaper than New York and more expensive than any other city in North America. "

It will be interesting to see the housing bubble collapse after the Olympics....

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Vancouver on 02/21/2010 00:15:11 MST Print View

Dave,

Methinks LA aside, most host cities experience 'bubbles' after their Olympics euphoria (and building binge).

I don't know much about Vancouver real estate -- but buying stuff and eating out don't seem to be any more expensive than LA (where I live).

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Vancouver on 02/21/2010 00:19:25 MST Print View

The average bungalow style home in Vancouver proper is $829K. In Calgary, for comparison, it is $420K. In Toronto, $450K. In this current global economic environment it makes little sense. And given that average household incomes are no higher than the two other cities mentioned above....well...you get where I am coming from.

Personally, if anyone thinks Vancouver is nice, they need to get out to Vancouver Island - amazing.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 02/21/2010 07:54:16 MST.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Vancouver on 02/21/2010 05:45:14 MST Print View

I loved it so much last summer that I'm thinking of moving there if I can find a way to earn a living there and get past the immigration hurdles. Visiting Vancouver is fun, but I wouldn't want to live in the city proper (and parts of it reminded me of the run down sections of Boston and New York... so Vancouver, too, has its shabby aspect). Victoria Island is heaven for outdoors people!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Vancouver on 02/21/2010 11:57:04 MST Print View

I droned on about how impressed I was with Vancouver not because everything holy and wholesome is self contained within the city -- but that the city is vibrant, modern and clean -- and there are many, many attractions and beautiful natural scenery right nearby.

I've been to Victoria a few times. I do need to see the rest of the island...

EDIT:

Miguel - when in Vancouver, stay away from East Hastings St. Yuck. Comparing Vancouver with my own city (LA) -- Vancouver has its rundown parts, but my city is practically ALL rundown -- the worst combination of a decayed urban core and miles and miles of soulless suburban sprawl. We are trying to revitalize our downtown, but it's been a 35-year uphill battle -- and we're not even a quarter of the way there.

Edited by ben2world on 02/21/2010 12:00:35 MST.

Joe Schroeder
(Westy) - F
Vancouver and Vancouver Island , thumbs up on 02/21/2010 19:02:39 MST Print View

"The average bungalow style home in Vancouver proper is $829K. In Calgary, for comparison, it is $420K. In Toronto, $450K. In this current global economic environment it makes little sense. And given that average household incomes are no higher than the two other cities mentioned above....well...you get where I am coming from.

Personally, if anyone thinks Vancouver is nice, they need to get out to Vancouver Island - amazing."

Both are excellent, island is quite priceless but has it's drawbacks for the average joe and earning potential variety etc. "In this current global economic environment it makes little sense." Well I only wish their was a noteworthy bubble present. Skiing/kayaking and golfing in the same day and then a myriad of top class eateries/evening entertainment with easy airport access etc etc.....theirs good reason Vancouver has it's value.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Vancouver on 02/21/2010 21:11:09 MST Print View

Miguel - when in Vancouver, stay away from East Hastings St. Yuck. Comparing Vancouver with my own city (LA)

LOL! I had no clue about Vancouver when I first got there and needing a cheap place to stay I ended up RIGHT AT THE CORNER of W. Hastings and Homer. Little did I know that the area featured front row seats to drug addicts and gangs of boys haranguing passers-by. It wasn't that bad, compared to E. Hastings (where I later drove through) where I was (I'm used to Allston and Roxbury in Boston, and Brooklyn in New York, after all), but still, it was a genuine shock. When I discovered the West End and the quiet streets of Kitsalano I understood what people meant by "beautiful city". Needless-to-say, when my partner arrived two weeks later after my walk of the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail, I picked a hotel next to English Bay (the Sylvia Hotel... pure luxury at a reasonable price) and she immediatly fell in love.

Victoria Island... hard to really express just how wonderful it was as someone who loves the outdoors. It wasn't just the land itself, but all the outdoorsy types everywhere. I felt like I had finally found my community.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Vancouver on 02/21/2010 21:31:27 MST Print View

I'll be on the West Coast of Vancouver Island in Mid-May for the WCT (Again). Can't wait.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Vancouver 2010 on 02/21/2010 21:43:24 MST Print View

>> Personally, if anyone thinks Vancouver is nice, they need to get out to Vancouver Island - amazing.<<

Family Guy - I think you are mistaken, Vancouver is a MUCH nicer place to book a vacation (which will leave Vancouver Island's trails nice and empty for us locals! ;).

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Vancouver IS nicer than Vancouver Island! on 02/21/2010 21:44:22 MST Print View

Yes - I definitely stand corrected.....

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Vancouver IS nicer than Vancouver Island! on 02/21/2010 22:17:31 MST Print View

David, is there anywhere you haven't hiked! :)

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: Vancouver on 02/22/2010 00:45:07 MST Print View

"I'll be on the West Coast of Vancouver Island in Mid-May for the WCT (Again). Can't wait."

I'm thinking about hiking the WCT this fall in October after it's closed. Hiking it when it's closed is primo. You save $150 in fees, you get the whole trail to yourself and the only downside is a refreshing (and dangerous) swim across Nitnat Narrows. I want to hike it right after it closes in the fall so fallen trees aren't a concern (unlike doing it early spring).

Edited by dandydan on 02/22/2010 00:56:00 MST.