November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Stovemaking possibility?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Stovemaking possibility? on 04/21/2006 16:25:16 MDT Print View

And I thought the Guinness can was nutty.

Could it be the case that once you've pawned the Miller off on your brother-in-law and drained out the chemicals, you might be able to reverse-engineer this can into a heating vessel? Not for another year, of course.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Wolfgang Puck's Self-Heating Latte on 04/22/2006 10:51:02 MDT Print View

There were some self-heating cans a while back (would have been great for soup), but unfortunately they paired it with some NASTY sugar-free coffee drinks (tasted like soap)... always thought the idea had some merit, but it's probably very earth unfriendly...

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Wolfgang Puck's Self-Heating Latte on 04/23/2006 12:11:35 MDT Print View

Yup, a lot of waste. I had a couple of the self-heating MSR meals they sold a few years ago and, while they were great for snowshoeing day trips there was a *lot* of stuff to tote and throw away.

With the self-cooling can, I was thinking that it could be adapted to become something like a Jetboil pot, with all those heat-exchanging chambers and all. Will need to dissect one at some point!