Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Hot drinks

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
Hot drinks on 02/11/2010 19:26:48 MST Print View

I'm going on a snow trip this weekend and would like suggestions for hot drinks.

I don't drink coffee or tea and I really don't want to drink too much hot chocolate.

It's been recommended to me to try miso or broth, which would probably work.

I want something I can sip on all day out of a thermos.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Hot drinks on 02/11/2010 19:34:29 MST Print View

If you are really sipping it all day hot water is a good choice for your teeth. I'd drink an unflavored white tea from Todd and Holland (not that fruity-flavored grocery store junk).

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Hot drinks on 02/11/2010 19:45:15 MST Print View

In the winter I carry either a thermos of hot cranberry juice (just heat it up out of the big Costco jug), or hot apple cider (2 packets of Alpine brand dehydrated cider, reconstituted). Both are very satisfying.

As for the thermos, I've tried various insulating tricks that were lighter, but nothing so far has worked as well as an actual thermos.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Hot drinks on 02/11/2010 21:36:27 MST Print View

For all day I drink herbal teas (like something fruity by Celestial Seasoning). That way I don't get overloaded on sugar.

Now though...what is also nice is chicken soup and similar. Warm with calories....you can always cheat and use Lipton packets.

When I do long snowshoeing trips I will sometimes carry the weight of a bullet style thermos along with my stove. That way I can make more drinks as I go!

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Locale: Central Valley
Re: Re: Hot drinks on 02/11/2010 22:19:54 MST Print View

I've added Emergen-C to hot water - not half bad. Sort of like real thin Jell-O. Which we used to drink hot as kids, and if you don't mind the sugar overload it's sort of like thick Tang, which is another one we liked as kids -

Dang, memory lane here.

Speaking of Tang, there's a recipe in Freezer Bag Cooking I've been meaning to try with Tang and ice tea mix as ingredients... a number of the backpacking recipe books have hot beverage mix recipes too. Might try to google for some.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
"Hot drinks" on 02/11/2010 23:26:40 MST Print View

Jello hot is good also.

Edited by djjmikie on 02/11/2010 23:27:10 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
recipe with Tang on 02/11/2010 23:32:58 MST Print View

Tang powder + Vodka = Tangeroo

At high elevation, it will knock you on your a$$.

--B.G.--

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: Re: Hot drinks on 02/12/2010 00:00:29 MST Print View

double cranberry-pomegranate emergen-c with a bit of everclear added. It's good for the soul, but bad for the guts. If you need less warmth, but more sunshine, substitute tequila. Add hot sauce if you're a masochist like me!

P.S. F the weight, nothing will keep it hot all day in the winter except a glass vacuum sealed thermos.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Hot drinks on 02/12/2010 13:56:37 MST Print View

"It's been recommended to me to try miso or broth, which would probably work."

Miso soup has worked really well for me. I should think a good rich chicken broth or something similar would also do the trick. Much depends on individual taste, but I find a savory, salty drink really hits the spot, taste-wise, and also helps replace at least the sodium component of the electrolytes lost when exercising strenuously.

Morgan Rucks
(rucksmtr) - F
... on 02/12/2010 23:45:16 MST Print View

scotch. that's what i'll be drinking this weekend

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Hot drinks" on 02/18/2010 16:45:01 MST Print View

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Ended with a pomegranate "tea" that stayed warm in the thermos all day and tasted good.

It wasn't cold enough in the daytime, next time I'll probably just sip on it at night.