Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » 20L backpack pattern ?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Guy Bouchard
(gbouchar) - M
20L backpack pattern ? on 02/11/2010 18:44:04 MST Print View

Do you know a simple 18-22L backpack pattern? I would use it for mountain bike touring (water bladder + clothes) and as a winter xc skiing daypack.

Thanks!

James Wyrwicki
(jim1233988) - MLife
backpack pattern on 02/11/2010 19:30:02 MST Print View

have you looked at the MYOG: 5 yards to SUL article series? The backpack pattern (part 4 i think) is pretty easy. The pack is a little bigger then you are looking for at ~27L, but since you are making it i think that it would be an easy mod to just make it a little smaller. Adding a hip belt, a bladder sleeve and using tougher material, and i think it would work just fine for biking with.

Nicolas L.
(MSLdesign) - F
I sell back pack pattern on 02/12/2010 05:21:40 MST Print View

My brand new blog:

http://msloutdoordesign.wordpress.com

or see:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28034

I think this would be perfect for you... I also use it for XC skiing.

Edited by MSLdesign on 02/12/2010 05:22:43 MST.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
20L backpack pattern ? Free plans on 02/16/2010 14:28:49 MST Print View

Guy,

I have plans for a 32L pack that could be narrowed 2 inches to approximately 20L. You're welcome to use them.

Front and back:

pack frontpack back

Vs Womens medium Golite Jam2:
pack vs jam2pack pattern

Link to pattern

You can have the pattern printed full scale for about $7.50 at a print shop.

-Lance

Edited by Lancem on 03/01/2010 18:25:07 MST.

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
Lance... on 02/16/2010 14:48:48 MST Print View

While it may not be exactly what the OP is looking for, it is exactly what I'm looking for, so thanks.

Greg Wheelwright
(gdw) - M
Bikepacking.net on 02/16/2010 17:18:30 MST Print View

Try posting your question on the Bikepacking Forums: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?www

A number of the members make their own gear and a couple have made backpacks. The most popular commercial model used by that community seems to be the Osprey Talon 22. It has an excellent harness system which you might want to copy.

Guy Bouchard
(gbouchar) - M
Re: 20L backpack pattern ? Free plans on 02/17/2010 20:33:21 MST Print View

Thanks.

I have drawn one before seing yours but i will double check mine on yours. I will probably catch errors on mine this way. Before seeing your plan, i already see idea to modify mine!

Thanks again!

Will Elliott
(elliott.will) - F

Locale: Juneau, AK
easy on 02/22/2010 00:17:54 MST Print View

Get a cheap kids backpack at the thrift store and a drybag style stuff sack from your local outdoors store. Cut the pack body off, leaving just a backpanel and shoulder straps. Sew your drybag onto that. Saves hours of sewing. Or check out CiloGear's 20L worksack. I use it for mountain biking and climbing.

Guy Bouchard
(gbouchar) - M
Was New Easy on 03/01/2010 17:51:49 MST Print View

Have seen the CiloGear 20L. Look pretty nice. I prefer a padded backpanel for mountain biking. I though about the dry bag + kid backpack.

I took several ideas and am sewing one right now. I will post picture when done. It will not be as light as some BUT it will be mine and adapted for my use. Much work than i thought. In fact, the padded backpanel tooked more time than i was thinking. Everything else is not too tough.

Thanks!

Guy Bouchard
(gbouchar) - M
20L Backpack ready to test! on 03/10/2010 18:56:25 MST Print View

Guy Bouchard's backpack

Here my new backpack. You can see more at http://guybouchard.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/projet-sac-a-dos-20l-backpack-project/ . Weight? Can't tell but pretty good. Don't forget, i will use it for day skiing so i need to operate it with glove and mitts. Can't wait to test it!

Guy Bouchard
(gbouchar) - M
I forgot on 03/10/2010 18:58:15 MST Print View

I forgot to thanks everyone for advice, plan and suggestion!