Should I walk the PCT this year?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: PCT? Hell YES! on 02/12/2010 03:11:11 MST Print View

> Time to get my permit and the Yogi guide...
AND a camera! And a log book.

Cheers

wander lust
(sol)
do it on 02/12/2010 03:58:06 MST Print View

+1 Ryan Linn

Do it!
You won't regret it and you will probably see the world a bit different. There is almost nothing better than to experience nature and yourself in such a way. The nice thing about long distance hikes are that you really get into that feeling.
I also wouldn't be too concerned about your career, because it is not too bad to have such a thing in your resume.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: do it on 02/12/2010 06:11:32 MST Print View

Take some awesome pictures. You'll never have another chance like this for some time. It will be life-changing.

G Foster McLachlan
(hunter13) - F

Locale: NYS
Re: Should I walk the PCT this year? on 02/12/2010 07:40:48 MST Print View

Don't do it.

Ed Engel
(Doorknob) - F

Locale: West of what you think is west
PCT on 02/12/2010 09:19:22 MST Print View

Glad to see you are committed to the trip. As you know it is quite an undertaking. You will have your up and down emotional days. Take everything in stride. When you reach the end you may find it's the people you meet along the way who make the trip very special.

Luke Ochsenbein
(LukeOchsen) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Re: Should I walk the PCT this year? on 02/12/2010 16:37:03 MST Print View

Best of luck on your 2010 thru. Don't worry, there are plenty of lawyers to screw things up while you are gone. ; )

Ed Barkowski
(edbarkowski) - F
Y vote on 02/12/2010 18:03:24 MST Print View

Well said, Luke.

Nothing quite like getting buried under student loans, a high-stress job with limited vacation time, the crippling effects of old age and a nagging wife. Yikes.

Alternatives?

Go, go, go!

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns
Re: yes on 02/12/2010 18:12:02 MST Print View

Thank you all again for giving me ammo with which to try to explain my desire to people. My family has been surprisingly supportive of the idea. Just wish I had more cash to spend on gear!

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
No on 02/12/2010 18:28:30 MST Print View

Don't do it! All you do is walk and eat and look at beautiful scenery. It get's really boring. Plus all the other hikers smell really bad!

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Re: yes on 02/12/2010 18:32:03 MST Print View

"Just wish I had more cash to spend on gear!"

Don't we all?

heh. I guess the only downside, really, is that you might end up liking it too much and not want to go to law school. That's not exactly how it worked for me (on the AT), but I definitely haven't had a "real" job since then. But that's just me.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
regrets on 02/13/2010 13:30:19 MST Print View

I'm a surgeon. Needless to say, being a professional of any sort cuts into your hiking time. Add a family to that, and I have to tell you...

I regret nothing that I have done in this life, but rather those things that I didn't do. I could have done these epic hikes when I was younger and uncommitted, but I didn't. Now I may never do so- and that is a tragedy.

You're a fool if you don't do this.

(Oh, and doing these epic hikes AFTER law school isn't such a hot idea- all your prospective employers will be wondering why you have that big blank spot on your resume. Then you have to explain it, and they might not believe you and think you're covering something up, or if they do believe you they may be callous people who think that hiking is immature and pointless escapism and dislike you for not sharing their petty priorities, etc.)

Edited by acrosome on 02/13/2010 13:37:10 MST.

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Re: regrets on 02/13/2010 16:03:57 MST Print View

Dean, that is a big motivator. The anticipation has been killing me, its been hard to fall asleep at night.
I dont want to have any regrets about NOT doing it since I do have a "carpe diem" tattoo after all...

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: regrets on 02/13/2010 17:01:34 MST Print View

Hi Dean

> I could have done these epic hikes when I was younger and uncommitted, but I didn't.
> Now I may never do so- and that is a tragedy.

Retire EARLY!
I did.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
retirement on 02/13/2010 17:10:07 MST Print View

Instead of retirement, some of us are still trying to figure out what to be when we grow up.
--B.G.--

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: retirement on 02/13/2010 17:16:34 MST Print View

I'm interested to know that is Law School is all doom and gloom with regards to no life and big loans to pay back...why are you doing it? sounds like entrapment for a big part of your life

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
reply to Dean on 02/13/2010 17:30:27 MST Print View

"I'm a surgeon."

Dean, I think the readers here would love to see a contents list for the first aid kit that you take on the trail. Obviously, you don't intend to do surgery on the trail. OTOH, a friend of mine was seriously injured on the trail (due to glacier moraine rockfall), and the first person to wander along the trail to him was an emergency room physician who had a complete kit and did the surgery, right out on a rock.
--B.G.--

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: growing up on 02/13/2010 18:10:33 MST Print View

"when we grow up."

Whatever for?? ;}

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: regrets on 02/13/2010 18:18:37 MST Print View

"I do have a "carpe diem" tattoo after all..."

Then carp the diem, man! Go for it!! Dean speaks with straight tongue.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: regrets on 02/13/2010 18:27:46 MST Print View

"I do have a "carpe diem" tattoo after all..."

If you don't go, you'll have to change the tattoo to 'carpe dontem,' and who wants that!

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Re: regrets on 02/13/2010 18:41:45 MST Print View

haha even throwing the idea of the tattoo around before i got it was kind of moot since it begs the question in way. I said to myself "should I get it?" "Might as well- carpe diem!" Same goes for this I guess :)