Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
2.2 ounce stove system
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Locale: SouthEast
2.2 ounce stove system on 02/09/2010 07:52:16 MST Print View

Cook KitGettin' Its Flame On

the pot is the bud light can. the windscreen is the cut down fosters can. and the stove is the cat can. right at 1 ounce. the way I see it boiling water is boiling water, and this ultra light 1 ounce system works for me since most meals i make on the trail usually call for 2 cups or less.
Everything fits into each other and wraps inside a bandana, finally secured by an ultra fat rubber band thus finally weighing 2.2 ounces. hope you like it. comments and random jibberish welcome!

Edited by getupandgo on 02/09/2010 07:58:46 MST.

Hal Potts
(halpotts) - F

Locale: Middle Tennessee
2.2 ounce stove system on 02/09/2010 08:00:22 MST Print View

I like it Kyle. Super light, but probably likely to get crushed along the way. Google "Caldera Cone Keg H" and you can see a similar version with an anti-crush case. I think total weight is 6 or 7 ounces. It's a good stove for boiling water but I have found if I don't use the case the windscreen tends to get seriously banged up in the pack.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: 2.2 ounce stove system on 02/09/2010 08:09:11 MST Print View

never mind

Edited by MarshLaw303 on 02/09/2010 08:09:50 MST.

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Response on 02/09/2010 08:36:08 MST Print View

Hal- Thanks, I usually keep it on the outside of my Ohm and it's usually fine. It has fuel in it and fork and it usually stays pretty in tact from my experience. Maybe I'll look for some sort of casing like you suggested in the future.

Tim-
What do you mean "never mind"?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Response on 02/09/2010 10:31:59 MST Print View

i had a comment but answered my own question, so never mind.

-Tim

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Response on 02/09/2010 10:41:47 MST Print View

I'd just be worried about the jagged edge. Can you smooth it down or fold it over? No need to invite gushing wounds in the backcountry.

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Yea on 02/09/2010 10:54:57 MST Print View

Alright. And yea, I cut the edges in a curved way so that they wouldnt poke, but still maybe slice? But I think it is very unlikely. Fair trade in my opinion for the weight. It was just kind of an idea floating around in my head. You could also not even take the Fosters windscreen and just use aluminum foil?

Edited by getupandgo on 02/09/2010 10:56:20 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Yea on 02/09/2010 10:57:17 MST Print View

The Foster's windscreen would be much more durable than aluminum foil, but its just the whole sharp edge thing. The only sharp edge I have in the backcountry is my knife. But, ya can't beat the weight and price of your setup!

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Thanks on 02/09/2010 10:58:59 MST Print View

Yea, I appreciate it. I guess I'll just have to be SUC in the backcountry =(Super Ultra Careful). :)

Nicholas Miller
(nmiller08) - F

Locale: Montana
nice on 02/09/2010 11:01:55 MST Print View

I like it a lot, especially if you've got a method down that protects it. It also seems like each of these components is fairly reliable even if (moderately) damaged. Everything can pretty much be bent back into usable shape in the field given the simplicity. That counts for a lot.

Edited by nmiller08 on 02/09/2010 11:02:30 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: nice on 02/09/2010 11:04:11 MST Print View

I do have a question though...

That can is gonna be hot! How are you going to pick it up?

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Bandana FTW on 02/09/2010 11:10:56 MST Print View

Thank you Nicholas.

Travis- why, my multi-use bandana of course!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Bandana FTW on 02/09/2010 11:11:58 MST Print View

Ah, just making sure you've got a plan! : )

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

No fun on 02/09/2010 11:15:55 MST Print View

OH yea, learned that lesson the HARD way. :/

Edited by getupandgo on 02/09/2010 11:16:35 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: No fun on 02/09/2010 11:17:52 MST Print View

Yeah, the first time I used my titanium cup as my pot, I learned a lesson or two. The handles weren't too hot, but I just didn't think about the rim where I put my lip on. OUCH!

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re:2.2 ounce stove system on 02/09/2010 14:19:40 MST Print View

Since you gave a choice I was going to go with random gibberish, but decided on a comment instead.:P

Perfect dirtbag hiker setup. Simple design, don't worry about dents, low budget. I like it.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re:2.2 ounce stove system on 02/09/2010 14:41:42 MST Print View

Hey Kyle,
George here makes some mighty fine-lookin' stoves. I just ordered his Gram Weenie. Worth a look at least, and here's why:

I went looking for an alcohol stove that would work well for my Snow Peak 450 mug. Its small in diameter, so most stoves would shoot the flames out over the sides, like in your picture. (not tryin' to diss your setup BTW). The Gram Weenie seemed to fit the bill.

Like I said, I'm not trying to take away from your DIY project, but just throwing more options out there. Here's the link to the thread I started:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28627

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - MLife
2.2 ounce stove system on 02/09/2010 15:42:15 MST Print View

Another option.
If you want a short 24oz fosters can, with more of a freindly cup lip, a good way to do it is cut it down and epoxy on a 24oz Heineken can top.

Fit over it perfectly for a 2 cup boiler.

Also fits inside a short country time lemonade container which makes it crushproof, but the container is a bit heavy. It does however work for a cup, measuring (lid is marked) and for bag cooking food inside.

Here is one I made a while back. I made this one upside down so it would fit into another type container, but it will fit in the short country time lemonade container with the normal fosters bottom.

Thats silicone rescue tape around the top of the can.

This entire rig weighs 4oz less the fuel bottle
and less the two face to face cups with the yellow ring around..

Photobucket

Edited by tammons on 02/09/2010 15:43:12 MST.

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
nice stove on 02/09/2010 17:13:59 MST Print View

It looks like you've got a solid system set up for you. I dig it. At first I was thinking I'd kill myself on those edges (knowing thats about how pretty of a job I'd do as well) but since you wrap it up in a bandana when you're not using it seems like you have it worked out.

I'm into it

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Thanks on 02/09/2010 18:44:23 MST Print View

Thanks everyone. I've heard of the lemon aid container as a case. I prefer my bandana though. Maybe I'll use a modd pringles can? anyway, here are some more pics to confirm.

Components of Kit

Size Comparison