Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Gravity filter

Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Gravity filter on 02/08/2010 18:28:39 MST Print View

Prompted by the thread "Water Treatment - Hybrid Filter" in the gear section and Travis's version of his Kathadyn Hiker filter inside the Nalgene Cantene ( Mine is the Pur version) , I thought of a way of securing the filter to the Cantene.
Not wanting to butcher the Cantene top, I found on my gear shelf two lids that fit. One is from a mineral supplement container, the other from a sauce container (I already had chopped the squirter off...) .
So 15 minutes later I had a screw on sleeve for the hiker.
If you look at the picture of the lid with the top chopped off , you might jst see that I have made a bit of a groove so that it now screws on the thread of the Hiker. So you screw the modified spare lid onto the Hiker and that will screw on the thread of the Nalgene. If your filter has no inner thread than you can tape it on.
Franco
BTW, as you can see on the top picture, mine stays there without the screw on lid, but may come lose with use . The O ring seem to do the job.
Gravity filter
Gravity filter 1
Gravity filter 2
Gravity filter 3
Gravity filter 4

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Gravity filter on 02/08/2010 18:47:08 MST Print View

NIce work! At some point I was going to try something like that, but got lazy and never did. After taking the O-ring off my Katadyn filter, it fits snug enough that I really doubt it'd fall out. Maybe I'll play with some lids...

Edited by T.L. on 02/08/2010 18:48:26 MST.

James Wyrwicki
(jim1233988) - MLife
gravity filter on 02/10/2010 21:09:40 MST Print View

would you happen to know the brand of the supplement or sauce? I have the nalgene and filter already, but like you i do not want to butcher the lid. This way i do not look too crazy looking at container threading at the store.

also do you just pack the filter in the nalgene or do you use a light case to protect it? I'm use to using chemicals, but i have a trip coming up that a filter better suits.
Thanks
Jim

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: gravity filter on 02/10/2010 21:34:44 MST Print View

I don't know about the bottles--Franco would have to chime in--but I just put the filter in a ziploc while in my pack. You could pack it up with the nalgene just as well I think.

There are some subtle nuances with this setup. "Priming" the filter, emptying it after use by blowing in the tube, since there are a few ounces of water still trapped in the filter...

If you're seriously considering this setup, look at this thread also:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28707&skip_to_post=239457#239457

Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
gravity filter on 02/10/2010 21:38:06 MST Print View

I'm not familiar with the mouth of Nalgenes. Did you simply plug the filter in the existing Nalgene opening? What does the threaded new cap do? When you say "Hiker", are you referring to Katadyn's filter?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: gravity filter on 02/10/2010 21:44:43 MST Print View

Yes, the filter is that from Katadyn's Hiker Pro.

The cartridge just happens to fit very nice and snug in the Nalgene's opening. Franco will have to give more details on his threaded cap system. I've found it to work just fine by sticking it in there snugly. Doesn't even leak. Check out the thread in the previous post. That's where most of the information is.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Gravity filter on 02/11/2010 22:52:05 MST Print View

The point of the threaded cap was to show how to make one...
With the Hiker it appears to be redundant (IE the filter remains in without holding it in when upside down) but for security or on a loose fitting that cup could be helpful.
Franco