Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Knows Japanese?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 00:02:35 MST Print View

Jut clicked over to MontBell's N. America website and got this. Can someone translate?

a

Edited by ben2world on 02/08/2010 09:40:24 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 00:08:58 MST Print View

Seems like the site has been shut down since 1/29/2010. Something about 'malware' or hacking or stealing data since 11/2009 -- and the company has hired third party investigators. Bizzare that any website can be shut down for that long! Anyway, hopefully someone who can read Japanese will provide a translation...

Edited by ben2world on 02/08/2010 00:20:34 MST.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
it's like you said basically on 02/08/2010 00:32:11 MST Print View

possible credit card info stolen, so site closed during investigation, etc.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 06:37:52 MST Print View

Just read the Japanese explanation. It seems that someone who made an online order with Mont Bell had all their personal information stolen (identity theft) and so Mont Bell has closed down the site for an investigation. There is profuse and serious apology to the (Japanese) customers, and they offer a hotline to answer questions, while promising to keep (Japanese) customers abreast of what is happening.

Edit: I have removed all comments about my feelings toward the Montbell announcement... I wasn't thinking when I wrote them and feel I am responsible for the direction this thread has taken. It was not my intent to start an "anti-Japan" thread. I have strong feelings (positive and negative) about Japan and those were born out of 40 years of direct experience with Japan, but that cannot be simply translated into a forum thread. Saying anything more would be unfair and inflammatory. So I hope you can forgive my indiscretion.

Edited by butuki on 02/08/2010 23:50:14 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 08:30:26 MST Print View

I was wondering when Montbell's site issues would show up on here. Thanks for the translation Miguel.

I don't know how long it takes to put up a website like Montbell's, but even if it were hacked, it seems that a solution would have been reached by now, and their site up and running.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 08:42:56 MST Print View

Just for fun, I politely sent an email to info@montbell.com to ask if they could put up an explanation in English. We'll see if I get a response.

Does this count as passive aggressive behavior?? ; )

Edited by T.L. on 02/08/2010 08:53:53 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 09:44:04 MST Print View

MontBell changed the address of the above note from their home page to a maintenance page. I updated my link above and the message is now showing again.

@ Miguel:

Edited out. No longer relevant.

Edited by ben2world on 02/09/2010 13:47:51 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 11:44:35 MST Print View

Still curious about MontBell...

Edited by ben2world on 02/09/2010 13:48:25 MST.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 17:21:28 MST Print View

Hey everyone,

Edit: I have removed all comments about how I feel about the Montbell site. They were inappropriate here.

I suspect Montbell is trying to make sure everything is safe and ready for consumer trust before they allow the site to go back online.

Edited by butuki on 02/08/2010 23:53:12 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Know Japanese? on 02/08/2010 19:44:10 MST Print View

Now Montbell's site doesn't even open. "Safari can't open the page."

Elena Lee
(lenchik101) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)
montbell 's customer service on 02/08/2010 21:40:49 MST Print View

I'm really sorry to see these reactions because it's hard to believe for someone, who has personally experienced the level of Montbell's cs, that this represents the real "montbell experience". chill out people. if i had to project the whole idea of "american" based on my limited knowledge of this culture (thru a website!!!), i would end up a hater.

i emailed montbell once about the availability of a version of their parka in us market. not only they promptly replied to my emails, but also said they would bring the product i'm interested in directly from japan on one of their personnel's business trips , just for me. they gave absolutely TOP NOTCH customer service throughout the whole experience i felt i was treated like a queen. Expect that from North face, or Patagonia! even REI doesn't come close in how personal those guys were about me and satisfying me as customer. they show cottage industry attitude while remaining a big manufacturer, that's something to notice.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
gear. on 02/08/2010 21:51:05 MST Print View

this thread is in the Gear forum. it's about gear.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Knows Japanese?" on 02/08/2010 23:32:13 MST Print View

I'm really anxious to see the 2010 lineup. I understand that they are offering a stretchy QUILT that weighs about 14 oz.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Knows Japanese?" on 02/08/2010 23:37:48 MST Print View

14oz? That's nice at *any* rating.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Knows Japanese?" on 02/09/2010 00:01:29 MST Print View

[Edited out] ...Now back to MontBell. It still boggles the mind just how long they have taken down their website!! I really do what to see their 2010 line up.

Edited by ben2world on 02/09/2010 13:49:11 MST.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Knows Japanese?" on 02/09/2010 02:25:55 MST Print View

Just a thought - there may not be many people at Mont Bell's head office with native English.

But it is a bit surprising that the US franchise hasn't contributed something.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Re: Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Knows Japanese?" on 02/09/2010 06:38:01 MST Print View

Im in Korea right now. Been here for a month and will be for another year or so. I've found all the Koreans I have encountered to be very nice, helpful, and kind people. All countries have a bit nationalism. some more than others. you can find it anywhere if you are looking for it.

Concerning Montbell, I think we should really be reflecting on how sad it is we can't check their website for all their great gear. My personal anguish has been multiplied because shortly before my first payday, the shop that sells Montbell that I passed EVERY DAY on the way to work was closed for renovations. This was eerily close to the day of the website closing shop. Now I have to walk 10 minutes out of the way to oggle the wares of Montbell at a pricier store. Can we hold an online candle light vigil for the safe return of Montbell to the web? Maybe another for the safe return of the train station Montbell provider?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Knows Japanese?" on 02/09/2010 08:43:57 MST Print View

"But it is a bit surprising that the US franchise hasn't contributed something."

Yeah, especially considering that the website in question is the US franchise's website -- and not the parent company's in Japan!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: What's Going on with MontBell Site? Anyone Knows Japanese?" on 02/09/2010 08:45:19 MST Print View

David:

I feel for you!

Are there any Korean gear brands and sites worthy of a BPL look? In the old days, the only electronics worth looking into were Japanese; but now, we've got LG, Samsung, etc. Maybe gear too? :)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Monitor Comment on 02/09/2010 13:34:04 MST Print View

Hi All

After some hesitation, I have gone through this thread and edited it down just to the issue of the MontBell web site being off the air. Some of the comments were getting into a tone I would prefer to keep off the Forum, especially after one or two other flame wars recently. I have also asked for the thread to be moved into Chaff.

Sorry about the deletes, but let's all focus on gear and backpacking!

Cheers
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light