Forum Index » Chaff » 2010 Trail Days- Are you Going?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
2010 Trail Days- Are you Going? on 02/05/2010 22:07:07 MST Print View

Wondered if anyone is making plans to go to 2010 TrailDays?

I noticed fewer 2009 thru-hikers there last year- maybe because the date has been the same weekend for decades and the thru-hikers have gotten faster ( lighter!) and are well past here by then...

I'm not sure there were more than a few dozen hikers I saw in the vendor area that were interested in SUL/ UL gear vs reg or light gear.

About two weeks after last years TD's I was setting out a cooler of drinks for thru-hikers at the trail crossing the James River and a group of about 10 came through and I got to talk to them about TD's- all of them had been to TD's that year but only one remembered the MLD (or the GG, BPL, etc) booths set up in the park...)

I always have fun seeing friends and customers and just throwing open a conversation about TD's in recent years looking for any other perspectives.

Trying to decide if it's worth setting up a booth this year...Maybe better to rent a house and have a big MLD invitation only party!

Ron Bell

Re: 2010 Trail Days- Are you Going? bump on 02/06/2010 13:44:58 MST Print View

bump- or maybe the question has been answered!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: 2010 Trail Days- Are you Going? bump on 02/06/2010 14:20:50 MST Print View

I missed the first post! I've never been to one, but am thinking of going this year, so I hope you have a booth! I'd love to stop by and chat!

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Re: Re: 2010 Trail Days- Are you Going? bump on 02/06/2010 15:40:00 MST Print View

Ron, I've met you a couple of times at TD. For me, it isn't a mandatory requirement to go even though I like the atmosphere. Personally, I go because I want to put my hands on gear put out by cottage manufacturers which otherwise I could only see online. Seeing your stuff at TD led me to purchase several items from you and also to declare quite loudly that I think your finishing features are the best on the market. Consequently, in recent years TD has been taken over by hammock vendors and many UL vendors haven't been making an appearance. Nothing against hammockers, but when GG and BPL don't show up, it leaves MLD sitting across from SMD which only allows a small window for loitering as I've seen everything else. BPL was on the list last year and apparently backed out at the last minute. GG said they'd probably go this year, but their plate is always full. Zpacks is now in FL and likely won't make it, so that pretty much leaves MLD, SMD, and Anti-Gravity Gear to fight off Appy Trails, the hammockers, MacCat, and AMK.

I haven't decided whether to go this year, but it's always a consideration. Knowing less and less UL vendors are willing to make an appearance ensures I won't come as often either. Last year it was also so hot and muggy that it made me think twice about going this year merely for a casual walk through.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2010 Trail Days- Are you Going? bump on 02/06/2010 16:06:04 MST Print View

Hmmmm. If most of the thru-hikers have passed through by then, perhaps the UL manufacturers should do their own "Trail Days" a bit earlier, and perhaps even a bit further south. Have the place to yourselves -- get much more visibility...

Just a thought.

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
TD 2010 on 02/08/2010 15:53:24 MST Print View

I live pretty close so I may just go to check it out. On my thru-hike last year I wanted to be ahead by the time Trail Days hit just to stay ahead of the crowds, but I was a pretty early season hiker. And most people I hiked with had pretty bad experiences in Damascus as a whole, but I heard it is a totally different town during Trail Days.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
TD 2010 on 02/25/2010 20:41:12 MST Print View

Never been I would like to check it out, where at and what time? Jack

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Information please. on 02/25/2010 20:50:01 MST Print View

Date/Time/Location? Thanks!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Information please. on 02/25/2010 21:02:46 MST Print View

http://www.traildays.us/

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: 2010 Trail Days- Are you Going? on 03/14/2010 09:31:04 MDT Print View

Ron,
I also missed this post until now, but I do plan on going to Trail Days. I missed it last year for the first time in several years. I'm in PA now, so it's a longer trek than when I was in TN. I see that you are on the exhibitor list, which is great! I'll stop by to see what's new.

I'm going also post a note about TD on BPL's Trip Announcements so others see it.

Tom

Craig Roberts
(Homer) - F

Locale: Midwest
Trail Days '10 on 03/22/2010 14:59:22 MDT Print View

Ron and Others,

I'm coming to Trail Days from Ohio, bringing my brother and a couple other guys. As you know from my posts, I'm new to UL but working hard on it. I should be a banner for Ron, sporting my (soon to be received)new Exodus, bug bivy, and tarp. Looking forward to it!

Craig Roberts
Mason, Ohio

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus) - F

Locale: UTAH
Trail Days on 05/02/2010 20:41:00 MDT Print View

I'll be there and i would love to see the SUL/UL cottage gear makers there and especially MLD!

Ron Bell

Re: Trail Days on 05/03/2010 14:41:54 MDT Print View

We will be there on Fri afternoon and Sat all day.

Sat morning group Trail Run planned. 7am???

Thanks.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Trail Days on 05/03/2010 14:53:17 MDT Print View

To answer the original question...

Jacks 'R' Better, LLC will again be at Trail Days...

While we are focused on the quilt and hammock community there is plenty for the ultra light ground dwellers... we will have plenty of the New Sierra Sniveller quilts ...We hope to have the trial run of the winter model, High Sierra Snivellers to debute... Normal assortment of flex air pillows, ti shepard hook stakes etc.

Those not able to attend will find the Trail Days Sale extended to the internet shoppers at WWW.jacksrbetter.com from today through the 18th of may.

Those who can actually attend will find some unannounced bonus sales as well.

Pan