Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lending/Borrowing Gear
Display Avatars Sort By:
Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Lending/Borrowing Gear on 02/04/2010 13:49:36 MST Print View

On "Gear Swap" a few minutes ago, David in the E. Bay area expressed a desire to buy some winter gators.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process#forumtop

After one response to sell David some gators, Jay Wilkerson, also of the E. Bay area responded that he had a pair that he would lend David.

I was touched. I also wanted to get some feedback from my fellow BPLers, so I started this thread.

Some people are generous with their "stuff" generally, and others are not. Some may feel they worked hard for the money to be able to buy what they need and want. Some perhaps believe that few others would care as well for their gear as they, the owner would. They may feel they sacrificed by foregoing other items—nights out on the town, a fancier car, having kids, or otherwise.

Few of us would like to be taken advantage of by someone always borrowing our stuff. However, many of us may be willing to occasionally loan some piece(s) of gear if we know someone had a need. Even those of us with that attitude might choose to never lend anything on our current gear list. Or only to family members but never to friends. Or friends, but not family. Or maybe we draw the line at items worth under $50. Or, we'll lend anything but our Nunatak or Western Mountaineering bag, because of the potential for a "sweaty" return.

What do you think? How do you feel about lending and borrowing?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
lending? on 02/04/2010 14:02:38 MST Print View

Lending out the Western Mountaineering winter bag?

NEVER!

--B.G.--

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Lending / Borrowing Gear on 02/04/2010 14:05:56 MST Print View

I'm going to assume you're talking about lending or borrowing items when the owner won't be around during their use. If that is the case then. . .

I'll lend out gear or items only if I don't mind if I'll get them back.

If I happened to borrow an item from someone I would only do so if I have the ability to immediately buy the person a replacement item if need be.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Lending /Borrowing Gear on 02/04/2010 14:19:49 MST Print View

If I have spares are duplicates of gear I always lend them out to friends and family who need them...Why not lend them out? In my community I am always trying to promote backing and UL Backpacking-most of my friends just do not understand the concept of UL. I am a giver by nature and it feels much better to help peolpe out then to turn them away. That being said-who can lend me 1 Million dollars-Please!!! It is better to give then to receive my brothers and sisters!!!!!

-Jay

Edited by Creachen on 02/04/2010 14:20:51 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

lending on 02/04/2010 14:24:18 MST Print View

You don't look like the Wall Street banker type, so we will withhold our millions for you.

--B.G.--

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Lending/Borrowing Gear on 02/04/2010 15:15:32 MST Print View

Hell No! - base layers, socks, sleeping bag.

Sure, why not? - everything else (assuming responsible hikers)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

lending gear on 02/04/2010 15:29:53 MST Print View

I loaned a good Thermarest mattress in its stuff sack to a friend. The stuff sack even had my name on it. I know, because I specifically renewed the name marking on the sack.

The friend returned the bare Thermarest one week later. No sack.

I inquired. The friend claimed that there never had been any stuff sack.

OK. Right. We'll see if they ever want to borrow again.

--B.G.--

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Lending / Borrowing Gear on 02/04/2010 17:44:35 MST Print View

For me, its all 'a case by case basis' (I hate that term). I'll lend ANY piece of gear to the right person. Have I been burned? Def. Am I bitter and remember those burns? Occasionally. But I LOVE to lend a sweet piece of gear to a skeptical or greenish person and see the glint of awe in their eyes when they tell me their stories of how incredible that piece of gear is.

There are a lot of folks that aren't allowed to borrow my headlamp, or some cheap thing; but on the right day, the right person can borrow any tent or bag.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Lending / Borrowing Gear on 02/04/2010 20:10:49 MST Print View

Agree with Jeff. It depends on the person and the circumstance. There are a couple of people to whom I would lend anything I own as their friendship is the most valued thing in that equation. And there are some people to whom I wouldn't lend a battery. And then there are a large group of people in the middle to whom I would lend many things, but not anything.

JR Redding
(GrinchMT) - F
Re: Lending/Borrowing Gear on 02/22/2010 12:48:12 MST Print View

The only thing I wont loan to someone are my clothes and my pack. If they are inexperienced, I wont loan my down bags or quilt either.

Other than that, I'll loan whatever it takes to help a friend have a successful trip.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
borrowing on 02/22/2010 13:34:52 MST Print View

I have been the recipient of some very generous gear loans: Snowshoes and mat from David, tent, poles, from Josh on several occasions. I like to think I have been a respectful borrower and I would loan out what I can. I am getting my gear together but can't get it all at once and the generosity of others has allowed me to still go out and try things out, before I just go out and buy everything. I would not ask to borrow sleeping bags or clothes.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
. . . . . . . on 02/22/2010 13:46:13 MST Print View

. . . . . . .

Edited by asandh on 02/23/2010 00:24:37 MST.

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
I never loan money or gear... on 02/22/2010 15:50:56 MST Print View

that I expect to get back. So if I can't live without it, it's more than I'm willing to lose, or if I can't afford to buy another, I wont loan it.

John Drollette
(tradja) - F

Locale: Central Oregon
Loans on 03/22/2010 17:47:59 MDT Print View

I haven't loaned much gear. Back in Tahoe, I lent a Moonstone Bivy and a PUR Hiker to a buddy's roommate. After months of calls and visits, I was able to at least recover my bivy sack. Never saw my filter again.

I have one UL buddy locally and would lend him anything without hesitation. Even though he has a dog. Gearheads know what this stuff is and how to treat it.