Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Free Shipping? If it's this Retailer...
Display Avatars Sort By:
kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Free Shipping? If it's this Retailer... on 04/18/2006 16:41:38 MDT Print View

it aint necessairily so.
Be advised that the outdoor retailer, Mountain Gear (mgear.com), despite banners on their site promising "free shipping" will not honor it if you are purchasing a sale item (no matter how expensive, in my case, some Randonee boots). In their defense, Mtn.Gear pointed me to a rather obscure portion of their site which does state that sale goods are exempt. Of course, I found this out after they processed and shipped my order. I should have doublechecked the policy of a concern I had not done business with before.

Caveat emptor.

Edited by kdesign on 04/18/2006 17:51:15 MDT.

Charles Strusz
(infochuck) - F
Re: Free Shipping? If it's this Retailer... on 04/18/2006 20:22:35 MDT Print View

I'll post verbatim what I posted in response to your post on the other board you've complained:

think you're off-base here - if I see a big "FREE SHIPPING" thing (as is on their site), I always click it, rather than just assume that everything no matter what is free shipping; exclusions and restrictions always exist, and clicking that button would've told you, in the table for "SALE Items" (allcaps theirs), that there were no free rides.

Seems to be standard practice to me, and it seems like needless disparagement on your behalf.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Free Shipping? Hah! on 04/18/2006 21:14:40 MDT Print View

And as I posted, elsewhere, in response to you. It is far from standard practice--- they're are many E-retailers I use that offer free shipping for sale goods. I use them---like Backcountry.com, Randogear, Bentgate.

On top of that, I feel that Mgear's CS response has been rather insulting. I'm use to being treated much better by retailers.

I won't be doing business w/ them in future.

Are you with Mgear? You've been following me all over the Web on this.

Edited by kdesign on 04/18/2006 21:21:20 MDT.

Charles Strusz
(infochuck) - F
Uh... on 04/19/2006 07:09:45 MDT Print View

You've posted this in two places that are very popular amongst UL backpackers - especially those that make their own gear, as do I. No, I havn't been following you around the web, and I don't work for mgear - I just read both board, saw you getting libelous in both places, and felt compelled to respond. I just think it's wrong to criticize someone (I should probably say, 'disparage') for YOUR obvious inadequecies as a consumer.

You say, "It is far from standard practice--- they're are many E-retailers I use that offer free shipping for sale goods".

Within the context of my post, that is meaningless; I suspect you need to re-read my post and/or take some reading classes. I said it was standard practice to NOT OFFER free shipping on EVERYTHING, regardless of order total or other common factors. You offer up backcountry.com as someone who offers free shipping on sale items, but they too have restrictions- you must order $50 or more. EVERYONE has restrictions on promos like that; ALL of the places you listed certainly did.

Now, I will say this, as someone in the other thread pointed out - there is typically an (*) or something indicating there are restricitons, and mgear does not have one - they should. I still think this is you complaining just because that's the type of person you are.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Uh--back at you on 04/19/2006 10:21:46 MDT Print View

It's you who should really read what I had to say.
There's nothing "standard" in the world of e-commerce. There are retailers on the web, including the one's I had previously cited that offer free shipping on everything (over a certain dollar amount) whether or not the item is on sale or not. In fact I just ordered some close-out skis from a concern on the web w/ free shipping.

As I said in another post on another site ( which you no doubt read)-- I have never brought a complaint against a retailer on the Web, before. I did so, only after not getting any satisfaction from them, after several communications. Quite the contrary.

If you want to make it really personal--we can do that.
You are meddlesome and have nothing much to offer but apologetics for the retailer. Maybe you can get a job w/ Mgear's customer service--- you talk like them.

This is novel, responding to the same poster on a number of Forums.

Edited by kdesign on 04/19/2006 10:28:19 MDT.

Charles Strusz
(infochuck) - F
I don't think that word means what you think it means. on 04/19/2006 10:40:38 MDT Print View

"There's nothing "standard" in the world of e-commerce. There are retailers on the web, including the one's I had previously cited that offer free shipping on everything (over a certain dollar amount) whether or not the item is on sale or not. "

Yes, some retailers offer free shipping on all items, sale items or not. Does that mean you should assume all retailers do, and not bother to read their specific restrictions?