Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
air travel with a backpacker stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: an evil thought on 02/04/2010 17:56:15 MST Print View

"I had a positively evil thought.....Then, if they confiscate it, I can raise a stink."

Never, ever, pick a fight with the security folks. Win or lose, you lose. Fun to think about though. As a psychiatrist friend once observed, your thoughts can't be held against you". Yet.....

Frank Deland
(rambler)

Locale: On the AT in VA
airline regulations in review on 02/05/2010 08:06:47 MST Print View

http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
shipping fuel on 02/05/2010 11:03:00 MST Print View

I'm not sure that shipping or mailing fuel has any bearing on the issue at hand. I can't ship or mail anything to my destination. No post office and no mail delivery. Two moose and a beaver!

--B.G.--

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: shipping fuel on 02/05/2010 11:37:56 MST Print View

Interesting, I have received Esbit Fuel tablets which were posted internationally.

However, the information does not say what can be checked in for international flights.

BTW in Australia there was a case where the TSA persons (equivalent thereof) stopped a school group from flying because they had stoves (no fuel) in their luggage. (Still looking for the actual article)

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: air travel with a backpacker stove on 05/28/2010 23:27:12 MDT Print View

So to bring up an old, but not to old to be irrelevant thread... so nobody ever said about a canister stove. I know no fuel can be brought, but what about a stove.?

Is this thread, (which isn't the most entertaining thread I've ever read:) it is alluded to the fact that TSA may have a certain degree of discretion. If I tried to check a bag with poles and a Jetboil (which would be in the cup, and obviously part of some commercial product to boil water) do you think I'd work? Portland to Sacramento

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: air travel with a backpacker stove on 05/29/2010 09:38:49 MDT Print View

Jeff:

There is NO problem checking a stove. You can even carry it on if you wish. Fuel is the problem. So when bringing a stove (checking or carrying) -- make sure that it is completely free of any fuel residue -- or any trace of fuel smell.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: air travel with a backpacker stove on 05/29/2010 10:55:41 MDT Print View

Thank you sir,

How would one go about cleaning the stove?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Re: air travel with a backpacker stove on 05/29/2010 11:02:25 MDT Print View

My alky and canister stoves both stay pretty darn clean actually -- prolly because I only ever boil water with it -- so no grease or filthy coating. And no fuel smell either. The only thing I've ever done with them is a few wipes after each use.

But if your stove is dirty with grease, etc. -- then I would give it a good wash -- and let dry thoroughly. If you smell fuel residue at all, you can gently burn it off.

Edited by ben2world on 05/29/2010 11:03:21 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: air travel with a backpacker stove on 05/29/2010 11:07:42 MDT Print View

Dang quick answer:)

All I do is boil water. No food residue. I guess I'll be OK. hopefully won't have to rent a locker...

Thanks, Ben

Mike Melancon
(mjmkjun) - F
Re: air travel with a backpacker stove on 02/18/2012 08:00:04 MST Print View

Stow 2 bics in check-in bag(s). Stow 2 in carry-on bag. TSA will removed the ones prohibited. You can claim confusion at wording of regulations.
Pack cotton balls and a jar of vasoline. At camp process fire-starters: smear cotton balls well with vasoline and double bag in ziplock bags--they burn long enough. It can't rain everyday, can it? :/

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
wood pellets on 02/18/2012 13:02:18 MST Print View

If you can't locate a source for a small amount of pellets, check out pet stores that sell more "natural" supplies. Some of the alternative kitty litters these days are compressed wood products--sawdust. Just make sure you don't get the ones that are newspaper based. You should have enough time before you leave to conduct a burn test, and how could a little kitty litter be a hazard?