Announcing Montana High Adventure 2010: Ultralight Backpacking for Scouts
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Announcing Montana High Adventure 2010: Ultralight Backpacking for Scouts on 02/03/2010 10:06:25 MST Print View

Hello All,

I serve as Montana BSA's High Adventure Committee Chair, and I'm happy to announce that in 2010, we'll be launching the new, and nation's only, BSA High Adventure Camp dedicated to ...

... you got it ...

Ultralight Backpacking.

We'll be operating two sessions out of Montana this season, and each session will be open to 10 Scouts that must meet minimum age and rank requirements for BSA High Adventure.

The dates will be:

June 26 - July 3 (Sat-Sat) - Session 1
July 15-22 (Thu-Thu) - Session 2

I will be providing much of the gear for the program (packs, shelters, sleep systems, cook systems, etc. - and all new, state of the art stuff!), as well as the core curriculum and staff training.

If you have an interest in:

1. Being a program instructor/crew leader for either the first, or both weeks (you must be a BSA-registered Adult Leader);

2. Sending a boy to this program;

Please let us know via email: bsa@backpackinglight.com

And I'll contact you back directly.

Morgan Rucks
(rucksmtr) - F
... on 02/04/2010 16:37:16 MST Print View

Super Awesome.

Fred Eoff
(fredeoff) - F - M

Locale: Northwest
UL Backpacking for Scouts on 02/06/2010 15:56:54 MST Print View

I think this is fabulous. It sometimes seems so hard to break through old attitudes for UL techniques in scouting. Kudos to you for spearheading this Ryan!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Announcing Montana High Adventure 2010: Ultralight Backpacking for Scouts on 02/06/2010 17:04:10 MST Print View

How cool is that. What's it cost? Wish I knew if I could get off that time of year, I'd lead a crew or whatever.

Edited by skinewmexico on 02/06/2010 22:06:31 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Scouts on 02/06/2010 17:12:03 MST Print View

We never had anything like that when I was a kid!

In the scouts, the most adventurous that we ever got was to wrap a potato with foil and bake it in the campfire.

--B.G.--

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Announcing Montana High Adventure 2010: Ultralight Backpacking for Scouts on 02/06/2010 20:47:40 MST Print View

That is fantastic. I could almost shoehorn the first session in between our troop's annual canoe trip (which I organize) and our trip to Philmont ... (sigh) I'd better not push my luck.

Best wishes on this. I'm guessing (hoping) the goal is to grow the program. If so I'll be promoting it to our guys.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Announcing Montana High Adventure 2010: Ultralight Backpacking for Scouts on 02/07/2010 16:07:00 MST Print View

Win. Just win.

Kelly Brent
(kbrent) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
Ultralight High Adventure Camp on 02/11/2010 20:57:18 MST Print View

Ryan 2 sessions of 10???? Are you looking to simply develop the program the first year? This will be wildly successful and a much sought after program. I have a webelo scout. How long do we have to wait????

Thank you for staying true to Scouts. You will certain have an big influence.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Announcing Montana High Adventure 2010: Ultralight Backpacking for Scouts on 02/11/2010 21:13:06 MST Print View

That is sweet! I would have done so much more backpacking in my adolescence if my troop had done this kind of thing!

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Registration now open for Montana BSA ULTRALIGHT BACKPACKING High Adventure on 03/02/2010 10:41:54 MST Print View

Information, and registration is now open for both SCOUT and SCOUT LEADER TRAINING programs at:

bsa

Edited by ryan on 03/02/2010 10:43:10 MST.