November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Light Weight Tripod
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Champion
(bachamp) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne / Australia.
Light Weight Tripod on 02/02/2010 23:06:45 MST Print View

My heavy Manfrotto Tripod, is not going coming hiking with me, but I still need something so I can take long shutter speeds.

90% of the time I shoot low to the ground, less than 50cm roughly. But often on rocky ground beside streams, or of on the cost, down on the rocks. This means I need something with adjustable legs. So I was thinking of a tripod with 2 section legs (so they can be shortened) and also legs that can be bent to 90deg from the camera (so camera can basically be sitting on the ground. I dont want a center column, and would need to be Carbon to save weight.

Camera and lens weighs 2kgs (4lbs), so it needs to be strong, and sturdy. I would like a ball head, if possible.

Dont really have a budges, but hoping that since its small, it will be cheapish.

Does anyone know of a tripod like this?

Ben Champion
(bachamp) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne / Australia.
Gitzo GT0541 + G1178M on 02/03/2010 00:38:25 MST Print View

Gitzo GT0541 + G1178M

I wonder what the weight of the GT0541 would be if I took off the center column and 2 of the legs.

Rakesh Malik

Locale: Cascadia
Probably a bit late, but worth a try... on 04/08/2010 15:32:28 MDT Print View

I have one of the Feisol traveller tripods that they sell, and I use it for my 4x5... excellent product for the price. There are also cheaper (and lighter) models than the one that I purchased, which might be better options if you're not a big camera or big lens user.

Edited by Tamerlin on 04/08/2010 15:33:05 MDT.