Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Simple Water Scoop and Pre-Filter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Alum on 06/22/2011 20:52:18 MDT Print View

Never tried this, but I've read that a pinch of alum will make fine particles clump together (flocculate) so they drop out or can be filtered.

Ryan Nakahara
(kife42) - F

Locale: Hawaii
plastic photo envelope on 06/23/2011 03:15:54 MDT Print View

1. get page-sized plastic envelope from old family photo album
2. poke 100 holes in corner with safety pin
3. fill with water
4. put corner of envelope into water container
5. done. yay

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Simple Water Scoop and Pre-Filter on 06/30/2011 22:34:04 MDT Print View

Love it. Just made my own, but I'm going to be using a ziploc bag, since I carry several anyway for misc. stuff sacks. I made one with a fixed cap. It works great! Screw on the filter cap, fill the ziploc bag and pour it over the platypus home-made filter cap. Not bad for 0.05oz (I have ziplocs instead of stuff sacks). For a more durable solution, a cuben stuff sack could work also.

I bought spare platypus caps and the Coghlan's fuel filter at REI. Took it apart with tin snips, the mesh filter fell right out, unscathed. Used an exacto knife to cut a hole in the platypus cap, and superglued the filter in place. My first true MYOG piece of art!

filter cap

Edited by lindahlb on 06/30/2011 22:36:30 MDT.

Matthew Swierkowski
(Berserker) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Simple Water Scoop and Pre-Filter on 08/24/2011 11:06:43 MDT Print View

I just wanted to comment on this thread to say that I made one of these (the pull top pre-filter) and it works awesome. I use a 4 liter platy tank so that I can collect all my water I want to use at camp all at one time. If the source is deep enough I can just dunk the whole thing in there and fill it up. If it's not, then I usually scoop water up with my cook pot (Snowpeak 900), which also serves as my treatment container. During the day I use the tank to collect water as needed, and keep it folded up on the outside of my pack when not in use.

At any rate, I just wanted to give another thumbs up on the pull top pre-filter. As Bill & Ted would say it's most excellent (with a short guitar riff at the end).

David Rees
(reesd) - F
lightweight pump on 09/15/2011 11:11:39 MDT Print View

I've used scooping with a plastic water bottle, but sometimes you don't have that option either because you are dealing with trickle or very narrow stream.

So I have been contemplating some sort of pump setup, just to get the water out. So a short piece of platypus tube connected to a pump connected to a bottle.

I haven't found a good, super light-weight pump though. Anyone have ideas? I've thought about an inline squeeze pump or even using a turkey baster :).

d

Elisabeth Chaplin
(elisabitch.) - MLife
My own mod :) on 06/10/2012 20:55:27 MDT Print View

Between Ben's idea, Dale's idea, and the fact that I had all of the necessary components handy, I felt inspired to rig a pre-filter for my upcoming trip around the TRT. I used a Steripen throughout my PCT thru hike last summer, and there were a few lake sources in OR that had some little red critters who met their demise in my gut -- which, while obviously it didn't kill me, I would have preferred to not ingest them. I love my Steripen, it worked flawlessly for five months -- but a "just in case" pre-filter would make it even better! So here is my first ever DIY gear attempt!! I'm pretty pleased with myself :)

I used a FoodSaver quart bag, cut a tiny slit into the corner, and inserted a Coghlan's fuel filter that I cut down to just the bottom bit. I then used a heat gun on the low setting to melt the bag to the plastic. It works!! A finger over the spout easily holds the water in, and I can scoop up water with the open end -- at least in theory, as I haven't trail tested it yet.

At half an ounce, and about $2 (assuming you have a heat gun handy) and about three minutes to make, it'll ride along in my pack this summer! Thanks guys!!

pre-filter2

pre-filter

Edited by elisabitch. on 06/10/2012 20:56:56 MDT.