Tincture of Benzoin
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Locale: Outside
Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 16:54:02 MST Print View

How many of you carry this? If not, do you carry other stuff that will perform the same functions? What exactly IS its function? Does it have any multiple uses?

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 17:03:37 MST Print View

I carry some in a little tube with a small paint brush. I paint it on where I want tape to stick.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 17:09:23 MST Print View

I carry some in a small micro dropper bottle. I use it to make tape stick. Another use for it is to toughen your feet up, but that's not really multiuse for the field. I'm a big fan of ToB.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Tape on 01/31/2010 17:13:00 MST Print View

I don't need to use Benzoin because I use Leuokotape. It works very well and I've never needed to apply benzoin to get it to stick.

-Sid

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Re: Tape on 01/31/2010 19:20:26 MST Print View

I am not well versed in wilderness medicine, but plan to learn more ... so, pardon the stupid questions. Does Sterile Gauze wrapped with duct tape around a wound provide the same functionality as leukotape? What is the leukotape primarily used for ... blisters?

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
fixing your feet on 01/31/2010 19:26:15 MST Print View

Right here on our blog:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/fixing_your_feet_book.html

Edited by obxcola on 01/31/2010 19:27:00 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
tincture of benzoin on 01/31/2010 19:26:40 MST Print View

The high school track coach always made us apply this stuff to our feet before taping. Also, the alcohol in it has a slight effect of toughening the skin. It is kind of messy to use on the trail, though, and it tends to stain your socks brown.

Some of the modern alternatives are more portable.

Personally, I don't use the stuff anymore. I carry one good roll of cloth-based sticky first aid tape (which doubles as your garment repair tape).
--B.G.--

Lloyd Hill
(g8trh8tr) - F

Locale: South East
Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 19:45:51 MST Print View

I always carry Tincture of Benzoin in my 1st aid kit. It works great as an adhesive for moleskin or any other bandages that you need to stay in place.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 19:46:30 MST Print View

I use it for bonding tape to a trouble spot. I have some in one of the BPL dropper bottles. The dropper tip serves as an applicator.

Once a spot is clean, and then de-oiled with alcohol, I spread enough benzoin to cover the target area, plus a little. I then apply Leukotape. I have not any tape de-bond over the course of a week and 100+ miles.

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Re: Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 19:51:17 MST Print View

So what if you use pre-cut blister pads for blisters, and carry sterile gauze + the appropriate ointments etc. for larger "wounds" ... is tape ever needed? And therefore ... Tincture of Benzoin?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 20:02:54 MST Print View

I've never been able to keep pads or simple tape on my feet for very long. Benzoin and Leukotape make a near permanent application. The potential for blistered toes or heels is a far more likely scenario than a flesh wound. And Leukotape by itself will suffice for those.

YMMV.

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Re: Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 20:15:42 MST Print View

Thanks Greg.

What do you use in the unlucky event of a larger-ish wound?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 20:20:22 MST Print View

If it is truly serious, I clean it, use some antibiotic, cover it with anything relatively clean, and tape down the edges. I wouldn't "close" it.

If it's pizza leg, I clean it and ignore it.

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Re: Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 01/31/2010 20:30:36 MST Print View

Pizza leg ... is that like lots of gravel and scrapes from abrasion ... akin to road rash?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 02/01/2010 07:49:45 MST Print View

Christopher,
Yes. The generic "slip and scrape."

There have been recent threads on what makes a good first aid kit, and why. Brad Groves' article "Be Prepared, Not Equipped" touches on this. Wilderness First Aid courses emphasize the need to improvise.

Perhaps another thread is in order, to preserve the integrity of this one.

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Re: Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 02/01/2010 09:50:33 MST Print View

Hi Greg,

I agree - there have been quite a few good threads on first aid lately! I've learned a lot from them - but that Tincture of Benzoin just kind of got away from me.

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Re: Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 02/01/2010 11:01:37 MST Print View

Hey Greg,

I've been reading up on the Leukotape more. Do you use it post-blister as well, or just as a preventative measure?

If not, what are you using for blister treatment?

Chris

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Tincture of Benzoin on 02/01/2010 14:25:46 MST Print View

Both preventative and active care.

At the first sensation of trouble I check things out. If a sock swap doesn't resolve it, I apply benzoin and tape, over and well beyond the trouble spot.

If it's already a blister, I do the same thing, again being careful to go well beyond the trouble spot. Sometimes things go downhill and the blister ruptures, but even so, enough of the tape stays in place that I don't need to do anything else.

I palpate for tenderness to make sure infection isn't setting in, but otherwise leave things alone until tape and skin come off. Sometimes a week or two.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
multi use on 02/06/2010 03:27:10 MST Print View

I've read that its also great for treating tooth aches on the trail.

Also, cut and pasted from wikipedia:

"Tincture of benzoin has two main medical uses: as a treatment for damaged skin and as an inhalant.
It is often applied to skin before applying tape or other adhesive bandages. To some degree, it protects the skin from allergy to the adhesive in the tape or bandage, but mostly it makes the tape or bandages adhere much longer.[1][2] It is also used by athletes for its reputation of toughening skin exposed to the tincture.
It can be applied to minor cuts as a styptic and antiseptic (an effect of both the benzoin and its alcohol solvent)[2].
It is also used as an oral mucosal protectant, for recurring canker sores, fever blisters, and the like.[3]
It can also be inhaled in steam as a treatment for various conditions including bronchitis and colds. There is some disagreement as to whether or not benzoin should be used as a treatment for asthma.[4][5]
It is used in the U.S. military to treat blisters. A common treatment utilized by medics in the U.S. Army is to drain the fluid from a blister and to inject the same amount of compound tincture of benzoin, to help seal the space created by the blister, to serve as a local antiseptic, and to prevent further abrasion or loss of skin. This is commonly known as a hot shot amongst military personnel due to the burning sensation experienced. An older and ill advised method of the same name involves identical procedures using bleach as a substitute for tincture."

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: multi use on 02/06/2010 05:51:03 MST Print View

I would not put tincture of benzoin in my mouth (ingesting it), nor would I inhale it.