Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Seeking Poncho/Tarp help
Display Avatars Sort By:
Anitra Kass
(Anitraten) - F

Locale: SoCal
Seeking Poncho/Tarp help on 04/17/2006 00:24:50 MDT Print View

I am 5'5" and I was wondering if anyone around my height had any experience using a poncho/tarp as a poncho. I am concerned that it maybe very big, bulky and long and it might lend itself to getting caught on shrubs just off the side of the trail. Thanks in advance for any insights you can give me.
NITRO

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Seeking Poncho/Tarp help on 04/17/2006 03:21:17 MDT Print View

You have a few inches on me. I like my P-T's and capes long - most of them come mid-shin. Eliminates needing any rain gear for the lower legs. Usually, gaiters, even shorter ones, suffice just fine.

Yes, sometimes if the trail is overgrown, it catches. Have never ripped or torn a P-T yet. Many of the nicer ones have a means of tying up at least the rear of the P-T which helps alleviate the problem you're envisioning.

If you're real concerned, it should be a small matter to sew (and seam seal the threads) small velcro dots to the P-T to allow you to, what's the word???, "hem up" (sorry, senior moment) the P-T whenever you need to.

Off-trail, any P-T on anyone catches if the brush is thick.

Erich Foster
(erichlf) - F
Re: Seeking Poncho/Tarp help on 04/17/2006 09:11:48 MDT Print View

I just made a 5'x8' poncho tarp. I am 5'7", and it does not seem to be a problem. I was worried about the same thing before I made it. The other thing is that if it is too long you can tuck the corners in your waste belt or something along those line, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Re: Seeking Poncho/Tarp help on 04/17/2006 12:22:07 MDT Print View

I am 5'6" and use the Oware Poncho/Tarp and have not had any issues with it being too long. It helps to have it cover my pack as well, which sometimes gets more slashing on the back of my legs. Like Paul, it almost eliminates the need for rain pants / chaps by using gaiters. I still like to bring a rain suit in case I go out of the tarp in the rain.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Re: Seeking Poncho/Tarp help on 04/17/2006 12:58:36 MDT Print View

I am 5' 10" so I dont have any thing to say other than that there are smaller ponchos like the bozeman mountain works poncho tarps.
they are lighter too

Edited by ryanf on 04/17/2006 12:59:14 MDT.

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Re: Re: Re: Seeking Poncho/Tarp help on 04/17/2006 15:06:03 MDT Print View

Mountain Laurel Designs makes custom tarps in 1.35oz/y silnylon and .97oz/y spinntex. My understanding is that pretty much any dimensions are possible within the parameters of the fabric rolls.