hike in snow camping spots in Northern California
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
hike in snow camping spots in Northern California on 01/30/2010 16:09:54 MST Print View

Hey all!
I am trying to find a spot to take some friends snow camping in Northern California. We are looking for a spot that would be a short snowshoe hike in (few miles), and a good spot for digging out snow caves.

Have any good recommendations for spots to go?
Thanks
Dan!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
snow camping spot on 01/30/2010 17:37:01 MST Print View

Find Highway 88, also known as Carson Pass. Just east of the pass, just at the bottom of the hill, is a place called the Red Lake Turnoff. You park there, and that is the beginning of a jeep road that goes due south called the Blue Lakes Jeep Road. You follow that for about two miles. Typically, X-C skiers stick to one side, and the snowshoers stick to the opposite side of the route. Somewhere around 2-1/4 miles in, you camp before going back uphill over Forestdale Divide. There is a semi-sheltered valley, sheltered by the high ridge of Elephants Back. In the middle of winter, look for the spot where there are remnants of old snow shelters.
--B.G.--

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
snow camping on 01/31/2010 13:49:17 MST Print View

Thanks Bob! Ill looked on a map and think I found the spot you are talking about. Its pretty close to kirkwood ski resort right?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Carson Pass on 01/31/2010 14:01:14 MST Print View

Uhhh, yes, sort of. Kirkwood is the ski area several miles west of the pass. The Red Lake Turnoff is a couple of miles east of the pass.
I used to lead beginner snow camping trips there once per year.
There is another group that did beginner trips, and they would start from the Snow-Park lot at the pass, which requires permits. They would head only about a mile south of the pass and camp.
There are areas around there where snow machines are allowed. Then there are other areas where they are not allowed. The rub is when the drivers don't care which area they are in.
--B.G.--