Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Two poles & the Duomid
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Two poles & the Duomid on 01/29/2010 08:50:30 MST Print View

Has anyone ever tried setting up the Duomid using this method described by Ron:

• For \"Special\" Duo Use- Both hikers connect their poles together to make two long poles and place poles to form a wide inverted V in the Shelter OR find two long long poles and use them on the outside of the shelter to tie up to the Exterior Apex Loop.

How long do the poles in the V need to be? IF solo, could two pole jacks extend a set of trekking poles enough?

Could this be done with the poles inside the mid rather than outside?

I was thinking of this as a way to create more space for duo use, and by perhaps using the mid-panel tie-outs and some guyline, as a way of fastening the poles to the panels and providing more support in the event of high winds and snow.

I don't have a backyard to set up the mid myself, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: Two poles & the Duomid on 01/29/2010 08:57:36 MST Print View

I have only setup my Duomid for one night so I don't have much experience, but while I was playing around I tried the two poles trick on the inside of the DuoMid. With a 12 pole jack and the regular length LT4 poles they were long enough.

I only had it setup that way for a minute as I was just playing around and testing different things. That being said, it did provide more room, and seemed stable. The poles helped support the walls. It seemed liked a good option and once I get another pole jack (I only had one so had to temporarily jury rig the other) I will give it a try overnight and see how it goes.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Two poles & the Duomid on 01/29/2010 09:25:44 MST Print View

Jim - have a look at the pictures for the SoloMid. You can see how the inverted V works inside the shelter.

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Two poles & the Duomid on 01/29/2010 09:36:38 MST Print View

The Solomid is what gave me the idea; then I went and looked further at the Duomid and saw that Ron did provide and explanation for using the inverted V with the Duo.

Geometry was never a strong suit of mine, so I'm not sure if the added with of the Duo would make my fully extended poles (~55") too short to get a tight pitch.

I'd want the poles either outside, as Ron suggests, or inside but full-on against the walls to fully exploit the interior space of the tent.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Two poles & the Duomid on 01/29/2010 10:05:50 MST Print View

Ah - okay. I think one will need the pole jacks (2) but I suspect Ron will have to answer this directly.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Two poles & the Duomid on 01/29/2010 14:22:33 MST Print View

Just doing the math (Pythagorean theorem anyone?) you would need about 66" long poles for the duomid inverted-v.

Julian Thomas
(jtclicker) - F
Re: Re: Two poles & the Duomid on 02/01/2010 13:14:05 MST Print View

I do this - 2 pacer poles, handles in the roof, 2 x 12inch pole jacks

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Re: Re: Two poles & the Duomid on 02/01/2010 13:43:03 MST Print View

I've been wondering the same thing, but I don't have a Duomid to experiment with. I had pythagorized the same 66" (65.299 rounded up), but most of my poles are fixed length at 115cm (45 in.) and would therefore be impractical, unless strapped together in sets of two, which would require a non-solo use of the tent ;).

Nonetheless, I'm curious to hear other peoples ideas on the strength benefit this could/should/would/did provide. I imagine that for exposed + snow use, a setup like this could be of great benefit.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Two poles & the Duomid on 02/01/2010 16:19:33 MST Print View

I used my LT4s, one with a pole jack and one with the LT4 extender (that I'm hoping they start selling soon as I want another one!) and it worked fine. Had tons of room inside. Seemed quite stable (though I only had the chance to set it up in my yard). I should soon get my new DuoMid (couple of weeks maybe!) that I had modded with an additional four clips/grossgrain loops sewn in the inside but much lower than the already present clips, and an innernet without the netting (so floor only) with attachment points to tie/clip up, so I get a full bathtub floor in the Mid with, thanks to an inverted V, lots of stretch out room! Can't wait!

Jonathon Rogers
(signet77)

Locale: East TN
Inverted V on 02/02/2010 11:56:43 MST Print View

I always use the inverted V setup now...so much more comfortable. I found I needed my trekking poles fully extended (135cm) plus 12" polejacks to get it to where it needs to be.

Here are some pictures

iv1

iv2

iv3

iv4

dms

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Two poles & the Duomid on 02/03/2010 08:29:08 MST Print View

Jonathan, those pictures are great, exactly what I needed to see. Living in a city, I don't have a backyard to play with my toys.