Forum Index » Chaff » Winter Storm; Southern Appalachians

Display Avatars Sort By:
obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Winter Storm; Southern Appalachians on 01/28/2010 17:24:03 MST Print View

Planning an east coast mountain trip this weekend?

A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON WILL TRANSITION TO MOSTLY SNOW BY FRIDAY EVENING ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. PRECIPITATION WILL LINGER INTO MUCH OF SATURDAY AND LOCALES SOUTH OF I-40 HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR SNOW TO MIX WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...BEFORE TAPERING OFF BY SATURDAY EVENING. ALTHOUGH UNCERTAINTY REMAINS REGARDING THE AMOUNT OF PRECIPITATION THAT WILL FALL...CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED ACROSS MOST OF THE WARNED AREA. AMOUNTS MAY BE A LITTLE
LESS IN THE VALLEYS OF THE SOUTHWEST MOUNTAINS...AND IN THE
PIEDMONT...WHERE SNOW WILL MIX WITH SLEET AND RAIN OR FREEZING RAIN AT TIMES. SNOWFALL TOTALS MAY BE HIGHER ACROSS THE HIGH ELEVATIONS OF THE MOUNTAINS...ESPECIALLY IN AREAS NEAR THE BLUE RIDGE.

Wouldn'y want to be driving in that!

Edited by obxcola on 01/28/2010 17:25:46 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Thanks for the heads up on 01/28/2010 17:47:20 MST Print View

Thanks for the heads up. I live nearby and just might camp out in it just for the heck of it (and to try some gear in the snow).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Winter Storm; Southern Appalachians on 01/28/2010 17:55:16 MST Print View

I'll be backpacking a bit north of that (actually quite a bit north in the GW National Forest) but still expected to get snow. Should be fun!

Edited by idester on 01/28/2010 17:56:26 MST.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Winter Storm; Southern Appalachians on 01/28/2010 18:09:07 MST Print View

Probably will do an over-night or at least a long day. SNP most likely.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Winter Storm; Southern Appalachians on 01/28/2010 18:46:46 MST Print View

31 degrees and pouring rain here in Tulsa. Heading that way.

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Landscape Arch on 01/28/2010 20:25:36 MST Print View

Is that what it is Joe? I looked at every arch in the southwest. I think it was landscape but now I forgot. Stressed out! Wish I was in the fiery furnace or out at the double O.

Hey this storm is going to get the GW too Douglas! Though not sure if it runs up the coast or pulls out to sea. Everything from At least Staunton south ought to get some weather. Cville south looks to get a plenty + ice +

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Snow camping on 01/28/2010 20:45:06 MST Print View

Dougles where are you going? I'm planning on hitting the AT in the Lynchburg area. If I feel like it I'm going to try my SUL gear in the snow.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Snow camping on 01/28/2010 20:54:54 MST Print View

Ramsey's Draft Wilderness 16-mile loop. Going with a small backpacking Meetup group I belong to. Plan to be at the trailhead (around 15 miles west of Churchville, VA) around 10 a.m. Sat. Around 11 miles Sat., finish Sunday. Want to join us?

And yeah, Cola, supposed to get snow! Somewhere between 6-12 inches. Probably closer to 6, as the storm is really staying south at the moment.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Snow Camping on 01/28/2010 21:05:48 MST Print View

Thanks for the invite Dougles, I'll probably have to pass on that one I'm only free on Friday and Saturday. Maybe next time.