Forum Index » GEAR » The iPad Thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 17:54:55 MST Print View

Talk of the iPad doesn't belong here anyway. Now the iPad UL, err, the iPhone....that may fit.

And no, the Newton and tabletpc are nowhere near the same, although the comparison between the Newton and iPad might be a good one if the iPad was any good as a handwriting tool.

Bill (L.Dog) Garlinghouse
(WJGhouse) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Re: The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 18:49:22 MST Print View

I'm excited about it ... Well, I'm excited about the rumor that there will be a smaller version about the size of the smaller Kindle.

A book reader with a color screen
A web browser
A nearly full-sized keyboard
A bunch of apps

How cool would it be to have all the guidbooks for a particular thru-hike? To be able to keep a journal and upload it to a blog/web page/Facebook/BPL? Be able to browse topo maps? Pull into a place with wi-fi and catch up on email? Take as many books as you want? Listen to music?

I'd want it to be light enough, when coupled with a proper protective sleeve (cuban fiber) to make this a realistic option. We'll see...

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 18:55:11 MST Print View

You're 7 years too late to be an early adopter.

Ah, but I did say I was waiting for an Apple tablet. I was fully aware of the Campaq tablet and considered it at the time, but first, it was too big and heavy, second, and this is a BIG consideration for me, it was loaded up with Windows, which I, most especially at that time, did not and still do not consider a proper OS. I can't tell you the headaches and days of frustration I had trying to keep the Windows system running smoothly, without the absurd worrying about viruses and constant hangups. I never even considered getting a machine that involved Windows and still won't today.

As to the iPad not being suitable for the G-Spot forum, well, I have an iPhone and while I love it and use it everyday, for just about everything, including travel and walking, I just don't consider it a serious tool for the things I spelled out above. I don't need another smart phone, I need something that will let me do work and hobbies in the field without weighing a ton and yet also being big enough to actually get some work done. Ever tried to write an essay or lengthy journal report on an iPhone? The iPad is the only computer-like device I've ever seen that does just that (I did used to love my Psion 5mx, but it was plagued with problems, and the netbooks that are so popular today just don't cut it). It certainly does fit here in the G-Spot forum!

It's not the first tablet (back in 1990 I used a Cambridge Z88), but it's certainly the most up-to-date, most accessible, most feature-rich, and has an absolutely huge number of apps to choose from.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
staying black on 01/27/2010 18:55:44 MST Print View

Personally I will just keep my 2.4GHz MacBook that I made out of spare parts. What I have to ask though, am I going to have to fix these at work? Thankfully we don't do iPods or iPhones.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 19:14:02 MST Print View

Ah, but I did say I was waiting for an Apple tablet. I was fully aware of the Campaq tablet and considered it at the time, but first, it was too big and heavy, second, and this is a BIG consideration for me, it was loaded up with Windows, which I, most especially at that time, did not and still do not consider a proper OS. I can't tell you the headaches and days of frustration I had trying to keep the Windows system running smoothly, without the absurd worrying about viruses and constant hangups. I never even considered getting a machine that involved Windows and still won't today.

At least admit a bias. A proper OS? The iPad doesn't even have a full OS. I can understand if you don't want a Windows OS because you can't get it to run properly. Some people don't think about the changes they make, open attachments thoughtlessly, ignore all sorts of warnings, or install crappy software and blame it on Microsoft or keep silent if the same thing happens on a Mac. I've never had a virus, not in 15 years of continuous Microsoft OS computing, and only recently started using a non-free anti-virus program. I do agree that it's absurd to worry about them when it's so easy to prevent.

Still though, I think it's ridiculous that Apple installed a hack OS instead of the real deal. They took something that could've been extremely useful and chose to make it an oversized iPhone instead. I guess that could be nice in 30-40 years when I lack the dexterity and eyesight to use a regular iPhone.

If they really want to make this thing usable, they'll add a real OS and a wacom dual digitizer. The first will make it a proper ebook reader. The second will make it a real tabletpc. That's something I'd consider if they sold it around the $1000 mark....IF, the tabletpc software companies ported their products or suitable alternatives became available. I simply have no need for this extremely limited product, not when there's something that better in so many ways. It's a start, but it's still a generation or two from catching up with its competitors.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 19:24:45 MST Print View

Miguel does admit a bias. Pretty plainly.

As far as all the shortcomings of the iPad, it's obviously not for you. Fair enough. It isn't for everybody. But it will certainly be for a lot of people, including me. The OS is more than robust enough to do everything I want it to do. For me, this will be extremely useful for absolutely everything I want to do with a computing device. I'm not a power user. Like millions of other people. I do email, web surfing, write the occasional paper, play a few simple games when I'm trying to wind down, upload a few photos. Play a bit of music. That's pretty much it. I haven't needed the power of the computers I've purchased for quite a few years now. For me, this thing is almost perfect. I wish it were a bit lighter, but that's it.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 20:07:55 MST Print View

At least admit a bias.

Of course. I would be lying if I said that I'm not taken by the Mac bug. And I've used Macs since 1984 and gone through the whole slew of updating, fixing problems, and maintaining the systems to know what the problems are with Macs and will be the first to admit that the Mac OS is not perfect.

And yes, the iPad OS is not a full-fledged Mac OS. But I wouldn't call it a "hack". It's an OS designed for a small, mobile device. It uses less power (saving on battery life) and needs less computing prestidigitation. That's fine. As Douglas pointed out, it's all I need for such a device... it's not meant to replace my desktop and notebook computers. I wouldn't know what to do with it if it did! And I would feel that my main computers were redundant! The iPad can do things, as the iPhone can, too, that a notebook is just not convenient for or capable of, like GPS, accelerameter functions, and proximity metering.

May I ask, then what would you offer and desire in such a device if this one doesn't do it for you?

Gordon Smith
(swearingen) - MLife

Locale: Portland, Oregon
RE: Potential on 01/27/2010 20:30:58 MST Print View

Jeff Eberhard wrote:

"It's a step toward the clunkiness of technology disappearing. It reminds me of the tech in "Minority Report" (without the creepiness of Tom Cruise, as a bonus)."

ROFLMAO!!

(Where are the emoticon buttons when you need them?)

G

Edited by swearingen on 01/27/2010 22:02:34 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 20:46:16 MST Print View

I thought I stated it earlier, but my choice is a Fujitsu u820 because:

1. Smaller (coat pocketable)
2. 1.54 lbs with extended battery, 1.3 with regular battery
3. Reviews have it getting 8+ hours, which means I'll probably get 12+ with the way I'll use it
4. Higher resolution with excellent viewing angles and brightness
5. $500 if you know where to shop
6. GPS antenna
7. A real OS, and I believe some people have found a way to stuff OSX on it...at least on some other Fujitsu tablets
8. Keyboard
9. Touchscreen with stylus
10. Webcam
11. 60-120 gigs
12. Wireless
13. Cellular modem
14. SD & CF card readers
15. USB port

What do I want it for? I want it for all my guidebooks and maps, and I want to view fullscreen without scrolling. The guidebooks are all scanned into pdf's (not like you could buy them digitally anyway) and the maps are pdf's from USGS. I want to be to use Garmin Mapsource to send new maps to my handheld gps...because frankly, I'll actually still want a rugged-spec device when I'm out. I want to offload pictures from my camera, edit them along with my journal and upload those to my online journal. I may also install Microsoft Streets & Trips to make my time hitching into resupply towns more productive.

I didn't expect the iPad to have gps (it only works around cell towers anyway), but it still would've met my requirements if it had a real OS....and a usb port...and a card reader.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 20:53:46 MST Print View

I want to get two of those. That , my Tevas and a poncho tarp and I expect free beer along the trail.

iPad x2

Franco
iPad,iPod,iPood

Edited by Franco on 01/27/2010 20:54:22 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Weight Saver on 01/27/2010 20:59:40 MST Print View

I can see the iPad being a weight saver if you currently carry a lot of books. If the total weight of your books, GPS, notebook, pen etc is equal or greater than 1.5 lbs then the iPad would make sense and it would add functionality in other areas too with all the apps.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
ipood on 01/27/2010 21:40:40 MST Print View

Franco made my night ;)

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: The iPad Thread on 01/27/2010 22:25:54 MST Print View

"Except I was using it back when it was really invented by a company called Compaq which was later purchased by HP."

I had one of the Compaq TC1000 tablets. Well, I still have it, but it is just so old and slow it is unusable. I loved that tablet - I wish they would update it and re-release it.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Newton's law on 01/27/2010 22:37:55 MST Print View

I still have my Newton. But seriously it is a niche item and something that I would not take backpacking. Nor would I my MacBook. Just take a 300 page paperback you bought for $1 and rip the covers off to reduce weight. The rest can be used as toilet paper. The iPad is too underpowered for things that most people do in their life.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
The iPad Thread... on 01/28/2010 00:50:41 MST Print View

Oh Great!! I guess this means that after walking 3 days into the backcountry for some peace and quite, I can now expect to be greeted by a group of "happy campers" watching movies on their wide screen iPad (in full surround sound I suspect...).

Edited by skopeo on 01/28/2010 00:51:20 MST.

Lucas Boyer
(jhawkwx) - MLife

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
re: miguel on 01/28/2010 09:15:26 MST Print View

" it's not meant to replace my desktop and notebook computers."

Miguel, you have provided some compelling reasons to carry this thing along on a trek. You're probably one of a very small minority that can pull this off. Unfortunately, as your quote above states, this thing is not intended to replace anything. It's another "thing" to purchase from Apple. There's a whole philosophical debate waiting here on the "purpose" of a company. Do you provide tools for better living? Do you contribute to the greater degradation of society by resource depletion and e-waste? Do you sell stuff for the sake of selling stuff? The glitter is shiny. Milk and honey seep from its pores. Wait a bit, it wears off and you're left w/ another electronic museum collectible. "Honey, we need another storage unit! Steve Jobs has some more stuff for us to buy." Sorry for sounding like the Unabomber. I haven't locked myself in the cabin yet, but my manuscripts are growing more anti-technology.(as I type this on my Macbook )

For those of you that have pointed out the lack of need for a full powered computer. I wholeheartedly agree that eliminating a complex OS, whether Windows or Mac is a step in the right direction. The app makers look to be creating the next realm of software development. Apple might be credited w/ the beginning of the end for a traditional OS. Is that so bad? There's no reason the IPAD couldn't become a home computer by selling a docking station and TV connector. Personally, I don't know that Apple knows where the market is going, but I think they are putting feelers out. They seem to listen to their users too. I'm quick to cynically dismiss the marketing fluff on these things, but I have a strange fascination with seeing where Moses... er I mean Steve Jobs, will lead us. (Franco, you're a rockstar)

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
depends on what you use it for ... on 01/28/2010 13:13:18 MST Print View

I think the reaction to the iPad might depend on how and where a person wants to use it. For me personally, and in a backpacking context, it's massively un-interesting. That's not to say it's a bad product, I just don't put it on the radar screen for backpacking use. In that context, it's basically a giant iPhone but without the phone (!), without the camera, and I still haven't seen a definitive answer on whether it has a true GPS or just a version of aGPS that requires cell towers to work.

I carry lots of eBooks on my smartphone; very small, light reading glasses (there's a BPL thread on this topic if you look ...) makes the small screen no problem even for my aging eyes. My smartphone is a lot lighter and much more functional for trail use.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The iPad Thread on 01/28/2010 15:13:37 MST Print View

During the presentation, Steve Jobs held the iPad vertically (portrait mode) with his right hand low down next to his hip. That was my inspiration.
Franco
BTW, I had a Newton 110, so you can thank people like me for the iPad...

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: re: miguel on 01/28/2010 15:36:54 MST Print View

"There's no reason the IPAD couldn't become a home computer by selling a docking station and TV connector."

I don't even think you need the TV connector. From what I've seen of the specs, this could easily be my home computer for what i use computers for. It's the notebook computer I've been waiting for. Small, light, functional. For me.

And, for all intents and purposes, it does have a phone. Skype will work on it, you only need wi-fi!

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
The iPad Thread on 01/28/2010 15:37:58 MST Print View

I owned a Newton too. Yay for vintage Apple stuff!