Bivies
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Lundemo
(Jibbs) - F

Locale: Nevada
Bivies on 01/26/2010 18:57:37 MST Print View

So I'm researching materials and such to make my own bivy and it seems that the materials are a little spendy. 25$ a yard of cuben fiber of 54" width. I'm 5'6" on a good day, so how much would you figure I'd need as far as being safe? 3 yards probably? Is cuben fiber and momentum ripstop an acceptable combination of materials? I think I've seen that combo before, but am making sure. At 13.50 a yard, thats a bit more money in the pot. So I am wondering if the cost of the materials is going to nulled by the waight of the final product. What are your thoughts and opinions on this subject. I am in the process of searching around and finding info, so I appreciate the help.

James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Bivies on 01/26/2010 19:51:12 MST Print View

I would save myself a lot of time & trouble & look at the MLD Superlite Bivy. It weighs 6.9 oz, has 2 available hood configurations, a side zip, silnylon bottom, Momentum top, & eVent foot. It costs only $155. It also weighs only 2.5 oz more than their cuben fiber LiteSoul bivy & is almost $100 less. I own the SuperLite & it is awesome, with great condensation resistance, roominess, ease of entry/exit, & impecable quality/craftsmanship.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Help with Bivy Yardage on 01/26/2010 20:22:53 MST Print View

John;

The last bivy I made took 86" material for the bottom and 95" material for the top. I'm 5'9" and would not want my bivy any shorter. Depending on your design you might need slightly more or less yardage. Here are a couple of pictures:

bivy with hood down

bivy with hood up

Hope this helps.
-Lance

Edited by Lancem on 01/26/2010 20:32:19 MST.

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re: Help with Bivy Yardage on 01/27/2010 02:40:23 MST Print View

Is that made from the Meteor bivy pattern?

Derek Goffin
(Derekoak)

Locale: North of England
Bivi yardage on 01/27/2010 04:58:44 MST Print View

2 yards of cuben is possible for the base if you have a seam. I have glued cuben with aquaseal effectively and easily. Whether cuben is right for the groundsheet is an experiment.
You need to tell us if the bivi is for under shelter or not for whether the top materials are good.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Re: Help with Bivy Yardage on 01/27/2010 05:20:41 MST Print View

Great looking Bivy Lance,

Cheers

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re: Re: Re: Help with Bivy Yardage on 01/27/2010 06:10:32 MST Print View

+1 looks great

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
yardage on 01/27/2010 09:21:50 MST Print View

I started my cuben/momentum bivy with 3 yards of cuben and 2 yards of momentum. Found that to be just right!
I sold my new MLD Superlite that had been slept in once, and used the money to buy the materials to make this. Ended up weighing 4.091 ounces, almost 3 ounces less than what it replaced. MLD stuff is really well made... excellent products! ...but if you know your way around a sewing machine, then you can figure out how to end up with similar results... and you will have parted with less of your stash and cash ;)

bivy1

Edited by goldenmeanie on 01/27/2010 09:35:34 MST.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Bivy Yardage on 01/27/2010 12:13:39 MST Print View

John,

As Derek suggested, you can purchase less yardage and then splice pieces together to reach the length you need. The material will be much wider than your bivy, so the scrap can be used to extend length. It's a pain to do, but saves a few bucks. Two yards is a safe minimum.

Thomas,

Re: Bivy design;

I wanted a bivy with both bug protection and storm protection, easy to get in and out of left or right, material away from my face and a seamless bathtub floor. I looked at the Meteor bivy and others and put together my own design by using a CAD program and building two prototypes. Silnylon/Momentum/Na-no-seum. 8-3/4 oz.
Here's a drawing of the pattern pieces:
bivy pattern
Hope to share the pattern in the future. Just not there yet.

Thanks for the kudos!

Edited by Lancem on 01/29/2010 15:33:25 MST.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Meteor Bivy on 01/29/2010 07:04:38 MST Print View

Hey Lance,

I looks like you made what I would consider an improvement over the shortcomings of the Meteor Bivy.
I do like the Meteor bivy a lot, but yours has a full bathtub bottom and the full coverage option is nice. I'm sure it adds weight though.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Bivy design on 01/29/2010 15:31:50 MST Print View

Thanks Steven!

Weight penalty is primarily from 166" of zipper and 4 zipper pulls! But still comparable to other bivies with side/full zip and hood. Count this in with my 'luxury' items.

-Lance