Kmart Grease Pot tips and mods?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
90 degree wall on 01/28/2010 12:55:17 MST Print View

> Pretty much agree there. Would prefer 90 degree exactly though.

That's pretty hard to do and release from the mould.

> Well, I'm off to do two things.

Good man... ;-)

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
forums on 01/28/2010 19:11:40 MST Print View

whiteblaze.net, the other "bpl" bplite.com, for example.. threads have been going about these greese pots for a couple of years.

Ti goat modifies these to fit on their cylindrical tent stoves if I recall correctly.

There's mention on the zen-stoves site even.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
Re: forums on 01/29/2010 08:03:25 MST Print View

@ Javan Dempsey (jdempsey) said:

"whiteblaze.net, the other "bpl" bplite.com, for example.. threads have been going about these greese pots for a couple of years."

Thanks, I've not really checked out either of these, but I will asap. Will let you know if I find anything interesting.

"Ti goat modifies these to fit on their cylindrical tent stoves if I recall correctly."

Awesome... didn't know that. Off to check this out.

"There's mention on the zen-stoves site even."

Sweet... exactly the sort of background I'm talking about.

Research. Research. Research. All of it good no doubt.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Re: 90 degree wall on 01/29/2010 08:16:43 MST Print View

@Kevin Beeden (captain_paranoia)

Re: 90 degree side pots being hard to release from molds.

I have an MSR blacklite kit. It has a bowl exactly as we're describing to a T. It has 90 degree sides, a nice rouded corner bottom, and nests beautifully inside the smaller pot in the kit.

Indeed carrying this one bowl and one pot would be my ideal kit were it not for one problem. They're to big and heavy. The pot weighs 5.4oz. The bowl 3 oz. This weighs almost as much as my entire UL woodgas stove and cook kit, lol.

Re: my two things

I had no luck finding a bowl to fit in the Kmart pot yet, nor any luck finding a bake tin that might work as a frying pan.

I think I'm going to chill on fry pan idea... it was always a long shot. Of course I'll probably still keep an eye out for the next year for something that might work everytime I go in a store, but I'm not going to make it a priority.

Thus far my kmart pot kit is still missing a bowl to claim perfection.

Meanwhile my UL Heineken can pot kit is perfect in every way with a Ziplock Twist-n-lock container. Fits my UL woodgas stove, two ti stakes, spoon, bio-soap, optional alchy stove, alum lid and prime stand and weighs in at about 10-12 oz. Still finishing some diecuts in the wood stove to drop an oz or two.

Also I need an alternative to fiberglass wick insulation on the heineken pot which is both heavy and dirt collecting. I'm thinking reflectix band around the middle of the pot wrapped in a single layer of aluminum foil

I do love how I can grab the heineken can immersed in flame from the fire with the fiberglass without burning myself. It's just so darn hevy and dirty though.

Peace

-Mike

Tom Coston
(Tomwc) - F
wire bail on 01/29/2010 14:11:30 MST Print View

I put a wire bail on my heine with a hole punch and some picture hanging wire.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Bowl for Grease Pot on 01/29/2010 14:47:42 MST Print View

Here are a few pictures of a Snow Peak titanium bowl with a K-Mart grease pot. Bowl came from REI and weighs 1.6 oz. This setup works good for two people.
bowl and pot

cook set spread out

cook set nested

Edited by Lancem on 01/29/2010 14:48:33 MST.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Re: Bowl for Grease Pot on 01/29/2010 15:57:50 MST Print View

@ Lance Marshall (Lancem)

I like the titanium bowl... not going to rush out and buy one just yet though.

The thought has occured to me that maybe I could make a bowl that suits my needs by making a reflectix cozy for the kmart pot and then lining it with a ziplock freezer bag draped over the sides.

It's not after all much different then the whole concept of freezer bag cooking and you could choose to wash and reuse it or chuck it for a new one (i.e. that your food is packed in) as you felt the need.

BTW Lance, Do you still have the screen for that thing. This is a perfect example of what I was talking about with using the screen instead of the lid.

If you do still have the screen, do me a favor and put a piece of aluminum over the pot and then push it into the pot with the screen so it forms a nice airtight lid. (don't worry it will rise as necissary for pressure)

Then ditch your lid and pot grabber and try using it over the stove with a simple hot pad or pack towel.

Because the lid is recessed you should easily be able to grab it without taking the lid off. The lid also protects your thumbs from being burned by the water. What's more in playing with it I can still pour with the lid on. Works pretty well in fact.

You could actually remove the foil from one corner and thereby have a nice strainer lid.

This solution weighs about .2 oz less then the original lid.

If you like you CAN use the pot grabber... and once again you don't have to take off the lid to use the pot grabber. However ditching the pot grabber is the single best thing about the solution in my opinion.

P.S. If you do decide to keep using the original lid.. use some nice stiff cord to put a big old loop handle on the top. Works great, weighs nothing. Can even use it with gloves on.

Anyway, thanks, just hoping someone will try my screen lid idea and verify I'm not a UL nutcase. :)

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Re: Re: Bowl for Grease Pot on 01/29/2010 16:03:09 MST Print View

@ Lance Marshall (Lancem)

one last thing. Have you tried the beer can side jets?

I have a couple made out of budweiser cans.

Solid, hot, efficient.

One will boil two cups of water in the kmart pot in 2 minutes and 30 seconds, but only runs for 6 minutes on an ounce of fuel. I guess that's not to inefficient come to think of it... it implies it'll boil using only a half oz or less.

However my other one takes a nice six minutes and I think it uses only about .25oz to .3oz.

The best part is they don't need pot stands and since they're very short you can reduce the height of your windscreen to just a few inches meaning it's not only lighter but the whole setup catches less wind.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Re: Bowl for Grease Pot on 01/29/2010 18:31:20 MST Print View

mm:

Thanks for your 'critique'. FWIW, here's an explaination of the choices I've made.

I consciously chose to use the original lid for a number of reasons. I like its durability. I like that the lid is one piece and cleans easily. I've tried various knobs, tabs, loops, and wires on top and prefer none. I like how it protects the pot and contents when stored. I like the way the compact, smooth 'package' stores in my pack. I don't mind the .2 oz penalty.

I like the metal bowl for a second person because it fits well, its durable, I can use it for cooking, it cleans and dries easily and can be sterilized on the stove.

I like the stability of a pot stand. A cone shaped stand/windscreen like the TD Caldera has the ultimate stability. Putting a pot directly on a pop/beer can stove has the least. I've knocked over a few meals and prefer a little more stability. I chose a simple, lightweight wire stand as a compromise. I also prefer a stove that doesn't require a warm-up period before putting a pot over it.

Most of the time, I'll accept the weight penalty of the pot grabber. I have better luck removing the lid from the pot or the pot from the fire one handed with the grabber than with a gloved hand. It's easier for me to reach inside the windscreen with the grabber than my gloved hands. Less chance of scalding a finger or scorching a glove. As a kit for two, it's still pretty light.

My choices will change over time, but for today, I'm satisfied.

Just my 2 cents,
-Lance

Edited by Lancem on 01/30/2010 01:18:18 MST.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: Re: Bowl for Grease Pot on 01/30/2010 17:07:17 MST Print View

Lance, I too refuse to give up the pot lifter, especially since I cart a light Al fry pan with me most trips..

I have the same pot lifter as you, but refused to accept the stock weight. Here's a photo, and it could still be trimmed a bit more.Pan with pot lifter

You can drill out the whole center of the top and bottom handle, it's the bent sides that support the load. You can also drill some small holes in the side walls.. Just do a bit at a time.

Mine doesn't show any loss of lift ability (can still pickup a big pan with a couple L of water), and I dropped 8 or 10g off the weight so far, it's hovering right at 1oz.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Re: Bowl for Grease Pot on 01/30/2010 17:46:21 MST Print View

@Lance Marshall (Lancem)

Thanks for entertaining my suggestions and questions with a response.

Much respect to your reasoning particularly on the pot stand vs. beer can stove. excellent stability and of course can easily be made to pack nicely in the pot. I may end up making one if not a DIY cone.

I do like the bowl btw. Best solution I've yet seen.

Am going to try the Ziploc in a grease pot kozy idea for a bowl right now and see how well it works. If it does work it's a technique I can use with any pot kit, at least until I find / buy a better bowl.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Re: Re: Bowl for Grease Pot on 01/30/2010 18:03:07 MST Print View

@Javan Dempsey (jdempsey)

Nice pan. I like your mods. (handle removal and pot grabber adaptation)

Is that the one egg wonder? (looks larger) Do you have the weight and diameter?

Regarding the pot lifter:

I'd certainly use one if I could find a nice frying pan.

My MSR one weighs about 1.6 oz stock. Not terrible I guess.

Can't find the weight on the aluminum Coughlans pot holder.

There seem to be some lighter designs that weigh an oz: http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=msr0061

Not sure if you could shave more weight off that.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Free Cone Template on 02/01/2010 11:22:20 MST Print View

Here's a template for making a cone windscreen/pot stand for the Kmart Grease Pot. Designed for 1-1/2" tall Pepsi can stove plus 1" space between stove and pot.
Kmart grease pot cone template
More info and pictures here. Scroll down if necessary.

Free PDF template here.

-Lance

Edited by Lancem on 02/01/2010 17:46:43 MST.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

My pan on 02/01/2010 12:16:07 MST Print View

Yeah, that's an 8" diameter fry pan I got from "The Dollar General" store.. $5. Weight:Pot on scale without lifter

5.9oz

Although another guy on the forums found one at walmart, mainstays brand, that was an oz lighter for the same size. Which puts it about the same weight as a Ti pan with handles.. 1oz more for the pot lifter, which is multi-use.. 1oz penalty for even heating is a fair trade to me.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Kaveman can cook in Kmart pot on 02/02/2010 11:45:15 MST Print View

Caveman cook eggs.......eat'um quick

The photos give a good idea of how it was done. Alum foil on the strainer sprayed with pam olive oil, 1/2 cup water in pot, heat and we got eggs done just right.............
I peeled the aluminum foil up and slid the eggs right onto the plate, no hang-ups....sweet I'm getting attached to my Zmart kit. ;_0(conical windscreen, modified StarLyte stove and the grease pot)sonsistant at boiling 2 cups with 1/2 ounce denatured)

<center>

</center>

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Re: Re: Kaveman can cook in Kmart pot on 02/02/2010 13:00:31 MST Print View

This is pretty awesome. Just as long as the aluminum foil doesn't become a mess and can be reused.

One of the things I love about winter touring is that you can take virtually anything.

It just occured to me today I could put some frozen concentrate OJ in a ziploc and have fresh OJ for breakfast every morning.

P.S. so far I'm really liking this Ziploc / Reflectix cozy bowl idea. Awesome. Ultra Light. and will work with ANY size pot / cook kit.

I may never need to hunt for the right size bowl for a pot kit ever again.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: Re: Re: Kaveman can cook in Kmart pot on 02/02/2010 16:02:02 MST Print View

If you can find fresh farm eggs that haven't been refrigerated yet, you can cart them along in summer also. I mean, don't leave them sitting in the sun, but otherwise, they'll be fine for quite a while.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kaveman can cook in Kmart pot on 02/02/2010 19:14:44 MST Print View

jdempsey, why does refrigerating make them not good for taking on the trail for an extended amount of time?

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kaveman can cook in Kmart pot on 02/02/2010 20:09:20 MST Print View

Honestly, I don't know.

All i know is, just like mayonnaise that's been refrigerated, it's screwed afterwords. It's one of those old-timey things. When I was growing up, we never put the eggs in the fridge, just left them out, because we got them from the oldsters that lived behind us that had chickens.. That's country wisdom. :p

Just because I don't know the reason doesn't mean I'm wrong.!

Anyway, I haven't gotten salmonella yet, then again, you already know my threshold for danger don't you Dan? :p

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kaveman can cook in Kmart pot on 02/02/2010 20:42:40 MST Print View

You've got a high threshold for danger for sure. You could eat salmonella and still feel good the next day, growing up behind the oldsters gave you imunity:p