Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What's your favorite rain jacket?
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
What's your favorite rain jacket? on 01/26/2010 16:24:48 MST Print View

I'm considering going from a wind shirt/umbrella to a rain jacket and would like to discuss the pros and cons of both.

I've recently purchased a Driducks jacket and had some success with it, but the cheap fabric and zipper have left me wanting more. I love the simplicity of the Driducks (no zippered pockets, etc), and the weight savings that accompany the lack of features. At 6.25 oz (men's xl), it saves me a whopping 6.05oz over my Golite Chrome Dome umbrella + Golite Ether jacket. What I haven't found is a good quality rain jacket with extremely breathable material that comes anywhere close to the Driducks weight due to the fact that the manufacturers seem to think consumers need lots of heavy features. If I go with the heavier full featured rain jacket, I lose the weight savings, the breath-ability of the wind shirt, and the flexibility of the umbrella.

So...what's your favorite setup and why?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
one suggestion on 01/26/2010 16:37:38 MST Print View

I mentioned this one recently. Anti Gravity Gear offers a very simple sil-nylon hooded rain jacket. No frills. Very little breathability. I think they claimed 4.6 ounces or something. Mine came a little closer to 4.0 ounces. I think it was only $65+shipping.

As long as I control my underneath layers, I don't sweat it up. I'm happy with it.
--B.G.--

Weiyi Wang
(wwyjedi)

Locale: mid
Re: What's your favorite rain jacket? on 01/26/2010 17:23:13 MST Print View

marmot essence for the breath-ability and the weight

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: What's your favorite rain jacket? on 01/26/2010 17:44:56 MST Print View

Anybody know of an eVent Rain jacket with only chest pockets, and a helmet compatible hood? (I say helmet, not because I need one, but because I've got huge hair, and normal hoods don't fit me). Pit zips would be nice, but I figure I'll have to do that myself.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
rain jacket on 01/26/2010 18:54:11 MST Print View

Montane Atomic DT 2.0

10.5 oz
No frills
packs small, size of an orange
Entrant DT is almost as breathable as eVent, yet lighter and more packable

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: What's your favorite rain jacket? on 01/26/2010 18:56:21 MST Print View

Rab Momentum
only chest pockets
helmet compatible hood
no pit zips
12 oz

http://us.rab.uk.com/clothing/shell/new_momentum_jacket---131/

Edited by Gabe on 01/26/2010 18:57:32 MST.

James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Rain Jacket on 01/26/2010 19:33:25 MST Print View

I love my GoLite Virga. Very simple, very effective, very inexpensive, & very light at 7 oz.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
rain jacket on 01/27/2010 06:32:36 MST Print View

Norrona Falketind Gore-Tex Pro. Westcomb Mirage SE a close second.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Re: What's your favorite rain jacket? on 01/27/2010 09:16:59 MST Print View

Thanks for all of the feedback.

B.G., the Antigravity jacket looks like the perfect simple design, but since it's made fron Silnylon, I can't imagine hiking in it without being very sweaty.

I've read that some of the WPB fabrics can wet through eventually. Has anyone experienced this and if so, with what fabric?

I'll be doing some comparison shopping and let you know what I decide.

Happy Trails! John :~)>

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: What's your favorite rain jacket? on 01/27/2010 09:41:25 MST Print View

I don't know if they wet through but the DWR can wear out and without the DWR the fabric can't breathe and you sweat inside so much. I think most people who think they have had a jacket leak, have really just been wet with their own sweat. It is amazing how much you can sweat in a rain jacket and not even know it.

Eric Krumland
(Eric_K) - F

Locale: The northwest is the BEST
favorite jacket on 01/27/2010 13:20:38 MST Print View

Ive been happy with my tnf triumph, 5.5oz, find one on sale.

Ed Barkowski
(edbarkowski) - F
jacket on 01/27/2010 13:50:44 MST Print View

MH Quark is excellent.

Zips, light, very well made.

A little hard to find (discontinued?) but seems to be on sale when you do.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
DWR durability on 01/27/2010 21:14:27 MST Print View

Gore-Tex fabrics can eventually lose waterproofing from soiling. Wash your jacket with a detergent-free product (Ivory Flakes, Atsko Sport Wash), dry in the dryer on the highest setting recommended by the manufacturer, and treat with a DWR "restorer." The cleaning and heat drying alone can work wonders.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Re: Re: What's your favorite rain jacket? on 01/27/2010 21:35:54 MST Print View

I'm not sure how to paste my Excel spreadsheet onto this post...

It seems like TNF Triumph is a good choice, being the lightest WPB fabric at 5.5oz, but there's some controversy on this weight. Can someone confirm the actual weight/size? A bit pricey at $179, and it's a pull-over, meaning if useds as a wind shirt/rain jacket combo, you have limited control of heat.

Driducks is next in weight at 6.25oz (my actual xl version) and $14.79 is by far the least expensive. But, if you do any off trail, this won't work...fabric is very fragile.

Golite Virga weighs in at 7.6 oz for $80 (on sale on their website right now for $56). The "2.5 Layer Waterproof-Breathable Nylon Ripstop Fabric with DWR" fabric has some mixed reviews in breath-ability, which for my purposes as a dual purpose wind shirt/rain jacket, makes me wonder.

The Marmot Nano in GORE-TEX®Paclite® 100% Nylon Ripstop 2.2 oz/yd claims to weigh in at 8oz. This seems like a good choice, but costs $250 (found on sale for $175 at rockcreek.com - never purchased from this co)

From there, the weight jumps up to 10oz and above, which isn't an option for me.

Side note...Richard, $400-500 jackets? You must be much more well-off or dedicated than me :~)>

Thoughts or other suggestions?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"What's your favorite rain jacket?" on 01/27/2010 21:46:32 MST Print View

Marmot Mica is a good option for relative featureless simplicity and low weight. Nice hood, adjustable cuffs, better cut and fit than the Driducks. No pit zips, just 2 zippered hand pockets which are kinda worthless under a belt though. The weight is a mere 7 oz. and you can find the jacket for around $100-$130 depending on you luck with the online retailers and discounts.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
"What's your favorite rain jacket?" on 01/27/2010 22:06:24 MST Print View

Patagonia Specter

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Re: "What's your favorite rain jacket?" on 01/27/2010 22:53:05 MST Print View

Eugene,

The Marmot Mica looks like a great choice. I found a BPL post here http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17722

Also the Marmot Essence looks very similar...somehow I missed Weiyi Wang's earlier suggestion.

Both are similar in weight, breath-ability, and features. The Essence has a chest pocket and is made of 1.9oz/yd material vs. the Mica with the hand pockets (I assume that means 2 vs 1) and 2.2oz material...

Marmot claims the Mica as 7oz, but doesn't show the weight of the Essence. Since the Essence has only 1 vs 2 pockets, and is made with 1.9 oz/yd material vs. the 2.2 oz/yd material of the Mica, I would assume the Essence would weigh a but less. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks for all the help with this complicated subject :~)>

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: "What's your favorite rain jacket?" on 01/27/2010 23:31:09 MST Print View

Edited by annapurna on 05/02/2010 07:45:45 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: Re: "What's your favorite rain jacket?" on 01/28/2010 08:58:37 MST Print View

My Men's Medium Essence weighs 6.4oz.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Research on Rain Jackets on 01/28/2010 21:27:57 MST Print View

Here's what I've gathered so far (thanks Greg23)

Rain Jacket Comparison