Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking near Southern Alabama

Display Avatars Sort By:
Derek Cox
(derekcox) - F

Locale: Southeast
Hiking near Southern Alabama on 01/25/2010 18:32:26 MST Print View

Just moved to southern alabama near mobile to work for a year and was wondering what places are close by to do some hiking. anyone familiar with the area or have any ideas? Mostly just looking for 1-2 night trips to get out there.

Eddy Walker
(Ewker) - M

Locale: southeast
Re: Hiking near Southern Alabama on 01/25/2010 19:50:19 MST Print View

I am not familiar with that area but here is a website that might work for you www.alatrails.com

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: Hiking near Southern Alabama on 01/25/2010 19:55:07 MST Print View

Its not close, but I used to do some hiking at Oak Mountain State Park just south of Birmingham. It was great considering it was just 15 minutes away from where I lived. But I would imagine there are much better options within a 3 hour drive from the Mobile area.

Dale South
(dsouth) - M

The Conecha Trail on 01/25/2010 20:59:10 MST Print View

I grew up in South Alabama. The Conecha Trail in the Conecha National Forrest is about 2.5 hours east of Mobile. Nice trail except in summer. Several lakes and ponds. Mostly pine and lots of dogwood. Deer, turkey, fox, racoon, beaver and more. My wife's parents lived on it's edge. Good fishing especially Open Pond and Blue Lake.

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
hiking near south Alabama on 01/25/2010 21:08:23 MST Print View

the Florida Trail, the section crossing Eglin AFB near Niceville FL is suppose to be a nice section. I'll be hiking it in Feb. I have heard the Blackwater Trail is scenic. All flatland hiking though and permits are required for certain sections

http://www.floridatrail.org/

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/GWT/guide/regions/panhandlewest/trails/black_heritage.htm

Derek Cox
(derekcox) - F

Re: hiking near south Alabama on 01/26/2010 21:30:53 MST Print View

thanks for the suggestions everyone. i'll look into them and let you know how things go.