Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Scrap Ideas..
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Baker
(Slvravn) - MLife

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic
MYOG Scrap Ideas.. on 01/22/2010 06:08:16 MST Print View

While its one thing to pick out a project, buy the materials and then finish it, its quite another to take a look into your scrap bin and find something to make with a few odds and ends.
I think it might be interesting to throw out some MYOG project ideas for those scraps of material that you have lying around but just cant part with.
Here is some of what I have and a few ideas for them:
- 3'x3' piece of .6 cuben (some small internal accessory pouches or a pack cover)
- 2.5'x2.5'of red silnylon (stuff sacks, accessory pouches or a camp water bucket)
- 4'x5' of blue silnylon (pack cover, mittens, booties, baclava...)

Anyone else have any ideas for what to do with your MYOG scraps?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: MYOG Scrap Ideas.. on 01/22/2010 08:17:09 MST Print View

from my quilts i have tons of scrap climashield in every weight imaginable. I plan to make some hats and booties and maybe a pillow if i ever get a chance.

I save all my decent sized scraps and use them when i get the chance. Sometimes they work perfect to make the drawcord tubes in my quilts, sometimes the stuff sack for a shelter. Sometimes i have made entire projects from materials left from other projects. I have made child's and dog's quilts with "scrap" insulation and nylon.

I made a sling bag for a forum user a few years back that he uses for his back country fishing from all scrap fabric.

From that silnylon you could make a SUL pack using the "5yds 2SUL" plans on this site. Or you could use the sil for the "heavy" parts and the .6 cuben for the "light" parts. This would be a very light and still usable to carry weight in the teens pack.

-Tim

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: MYOG Scrap Ideas.. on 01/22/2010 09:19:01 MST Print View

for the cuben, a dry sack or two might be nice. could also make some VBL booties or mitten inserts. i made a nice compartmentalized organizer pouch w/cuben. made a pretty decent little pillow from small climashield scraps and scrap nylon. have also used climashield cut-offs for a hat, etc. sometimes use different color/fabric inside/outside, but who cares...

Eric Smith
(ES) - F
Shell Mittens on 01/22/2010 17:16:38 MST Print View

I made a pair of mittens from a scrap of nylon. It was quick & easy, and I've been very happy with them. They weigh 10g & disappear into a pocket. If I'm reasonably active, they're all I need down to at least 30F. I just made a wide trace around my hand for the pattern. There's no left or right which is convenient. They could even be put on inside out, but they do work a little better one way since the way I put in the wrist elastic makes something which acts like a sleeping bag baffle, so the fabric is off the skin more, creating a little space of warm air. Just sew the elastic into a loop, put on the mitten, slide the elastic over the mitten like a bracelet, fold the wrist part of the mitten back over the elastic & mark where to sew so you end up with the elastic in about a 1/2" wide tube. If you try it, also make the thumb part about 1/2" longer than you think you need, especially if you use hiking poles.