Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Dolly Sods in winter

Display Avatars Sort By:
Praveen M
(prav66) - MLife

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Dolly Sods in winter on 01/19/2010 11:53:44 MST Print View

Hi all,

Planing a winter camping trip to Dolly Sods, possibly as early as this weekend (Jan 22nd).

I hav a fair share of winter experience from a training bout in the adirondacks but was concerned about access, etc in winter time to the dolly sods area.

Has anyone ever gone there in winter? Are the roads leading to it usually closed? If so are there alternative ways to get to the area?

If anyone would be interested in joining the trip as well, do shoot me a PM.

Cheers,
Praveen

Edited by prav66 on 01/19/2010 12:05:05 MST.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Dolly Sods in winter on 01/19/2010 12:26:25 MST Print View

Generally this time of year the roads are closed. They are dirt, deeply rutted from the 4X4 hunting trucks, and once the snow sets in, the roads are closed. But you may be able to find an alternate route. The forcast calls for snow/rain/ice. Dress for cold. It gets windy.

Craig Burton
(MissingUtah) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Dolly Sods in winter on 01/30/2010 15:23:33 MST Print View

Not sure if you've gone yet, but...

Two years ago I was out there in February and I stopped by the Ranger Station somewhere between Elkins and Parsons, and the kind lady there gave me alternative directions for Wilderness access that was open year-round and was not too terribly nasty.

I don't know exactly where I was, but, if I were you, I would call or visit the Ranger Station out there because I think they can help you out.