Padding ULA Hipbelt Pockets
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Padding ULA Hipbelt Pockets on 01/17/2010 09:07:03 MST Print View

I just ruined a camera's LCD screen in my Circuit's pockets. I'm accustomed to just dropping a camera in a padded hipbelt pocket, zipping it up, and not thinking much about it. The ULA pocket doesn't offer much padding. I'm looking for ideas of something I can put in there, that will stay in place, not look tacky, and not be a hassle.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
one word on 01/17/2010 09:09:15 MST Print View

Bubble-pak

--B.G.--

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Padding ULA Hipbelt Pockets" on 01/17/2010 09:20:25 MST Print View

I'd think you'd have to cut out a fleece liner, and hand stitch it in.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Padding ULA Hipbelt Pockets on 01/17/2010 09:22:19 MST Print View

Tom,
I took some Gossamer Gear 1/8" foam (I'm sure any thin CC foam will work) and built a camera-specific liner for my hipbelt pocket. I held everything together with 2" wide plastic stucco tape - no residue to leak out the edges.

I've used it for about 400 miles with no structural problems. It has earned its keep, as I have "thwacked" the camera on more than one occasion while taking the pack off.

However - the constant motion of the camera against the foam "buffed" the plastic film screen protector almost immediately. It's a matter of grit and motion that is hard to overcome.

You may be able buff the LCD screen cover. Call your local NAPA dealer and ask about a "headlight lens polishing kit". And search over at dpReview for other solutions.

Good luck.
And spend $10 on a pack of screen protectors.