Forum Index » GEAR » Best Wind Shirt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Best Wind Shirt? on 01/16/2010 19:50:43 MST Print View

I'm about to try my hand at a wind shirt. I was going to pull the trigger on a Montane FeatherLite Smock. Thought I would ask for advice first.

In your opinion, who makes the best wind shirt? I've read the reviews here on BPL but thought you guys would have some good input as well. Cheers!

R K
(oiboyroi) - M

Locale: South West US
Re: Best Wind Shirt? on 01/16/2010 19:58:25 MST Print View

The Montane Lite-Speed jacket would be your best bet. I had one a long time ago and upgraded to a Patagonia Houdini. I now miss my Lite-Speed.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Best Wind Shirt? on 01/16/2010 20:32:42 MST Print View

Hey Roy! Mind comparing the two -- pros and cons?

Andrew Wilson
(andreww) - MLife

Locale: Vosges
Thru-hiker on 01/16/2010 22:37:45 MST Print View

If you sew your own gear, thru-hiker's Liberty kit is unbeatable: as low as 2.5oz, use whatever fabric you like, build it with a hood, etc.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Abilities on 01/16/2010 22:47:09 MST Print View

I wish I was that talented Andrew. Maybe one day i'll give it a shot. For now, i'm gonna let the experts take care of my gear needs. I appreciate the idea.

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Locale: Uhm... Europe?
Re: Best Wind Shirt? on 01/17/2010 04:38:49 MST Print View

I've had a few over the years.

* Montane Featherlite Smock: Pertex Microlight. Can't go wrong. I think they made the cut more athletic. Good idea, the old ones were cut like a sack of potatoes.
* VAUDE Laser: Pertex Microlight. Seams rip frequently (I'm on my third). Pockets + pit zips.
* Haglöfs Zeal: Pertex Microlight. Looks awesome if you like Budgie Green.
* Mont-Bell U.L. Wind Jacket: Pertex Quantum, I think (?). Usual Mont-Bell cut (wide and small). Maybe a bit more water resistant.

B. F.
(thrush) - F
Northland Helium XT Hood Jacket on 01/17/2010 05:08:32 MST Print View

I got the Northland Helium XT Hood Jacket. It was elastic cuffs and waiste, build in pocket to pack it up (wich works very very good and you can't lose it), a great elastic hood wich isn't too wide or narrow, and a high collar and an athletic cut so that wind has no chance. I use it in conjunction with a thin fleece jacket and cap down to 20°F / -6 °C on tour, for breaks and camp you need more isolation. I had it on several long trails now, using it under backpack straps it has no signs of wearing yet. I didn't have my hands on another wind jacket so I can't compare, but until now I've not seen any other wind jacket that could beat it.

Weight is ~2,9 ounches / 83 grams in size L.

Edited by thrush on 01/17/2010 05:10:28 MST.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Lightest on 01/17/2010 18:46:42 MST Print View

So what is currently the lightest one on the market?

-Sid

R K
(oiboyroi) - M

Re: Re: Best Wind Shirt? on 01/18/2010 03:21:24 MST Print View

Hey Ben. Long time man!

I like the fabric in Montane better. More breathable, more comfortable on the skin and just as wind resistant. Less rain resistance, but hey, its a WIND shirt. Bonus, the new models have a detachable hood.

Patagonia isn't bad but I just find myself waiting a little longer before I put it on.

René Jeninga
(renjen)

Locale: Near the coast in the Netherlands
Detachable hood? on 01/18/2010 03:48:47 MST Print View

I know the Lite-Speed has a roll-away hood, I don't think it's detachable.

R K
(oiboyroi) - M

Re: Detachable hood? on 01/18/2010 04:29:46 MST Print View

Ahhh Rene it appears you are correct.

Andrew Wilson
(andreww) - MLife

Locale: Vosges
Say no to detachable hoods on 01/18/2010 07:27:38 MST Print View

The zipper would weigh more than the hood itself. A couple of the tiniest snaps would do the trick for stowing it away, although unless you're biking, I don't see why just stuffing it down the back wouldn't work just as well.

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Re: Lightest on 01/18/2010 08:11:50 MST Print View

So what is currently the lightest one on the market?

Montane Slipstream? Montbell U.L. Wind Jacket?

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Re: Re: Lightest on 01/18/2010 08:14:13 MST Print View

Oh wait, VAUDE Spin Off Smock. 72 g.

It probably isn't Pertex Microlight.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Lightest on 01/18/2010 08:18:13 MST Print View

Lightest on the market is either the Montane slipstream in pertex quantum or Montbell UL windshirt, depending on sizes of course. Neither of those have hoods.

The Vaude may be lighter, but I can't vouch for their accuracy in weights posted online.

Edited by jshann on 01/18/2010 08:20:09 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Best Wind Shirt? on 01/18/2010 08:20:17 MST Print View

Integral Designs Pertex Wind Shirt. With a hood. Not the lightest but getting a windshirt without seems strange to me....

Made in Canada.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Ditto on 01/18/2010 08:33:11 MST Print View

Integral Designs Pertex Wind Shirt.

The best one I've ever tried.
I think it is the best compromise for rain protection and breath-ability. It is not rain proof though.

I've come to really like the hood and zipper.
My previous windshirts were lighter, but no zip or hood.
I can now carry a lighter hat. Pulling the hood over the hat adds a lot of warmth.

The zip allows me to zip it open when I get warm and zip it up when the wind picks up, without having to take the pack off.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re :Best Wind Shirt on 01/18/2010 08:47:54 MST Print View

My hooded PHD Windshirt weighs 96g in size Large. It is sometimes in their sale at lot cheaper price.
I also have a Montane Fearherlight, a Rab Quantum windshirt, a Paramo Fuera and a Wild Things windshirt. I use the Paramo for climbing and scrambling on rock as it is very durable. The Epic used in the Wild Things isn't breathable enough for me, and is more of a rainproof jacket. I use the PHD for backpacking because of the hood, and the Rab or Montane for milder weather.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Best Wind Shirt on 01/18/2010 11:50:58 MST Print View

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm doing a lot of reading about your suggestions. I appreciate it.

René Jeninga
(renjen)

Locale: Near the coast in the Netherlands
Lightest Windshirt on 01/19/2010 02:50:19 MST Print View

I own a Montane Slipstream (Pertex Quantum) in a size large and it weighs 74 grams, and i own a TNF Hydrogen in a size medium and that weighs 82 grams . I wonder if they made a version with a hood how much these jackets would weigh?