new to texas, need help with gear
Display Avatars Sort By:
josh woods
(rambo) - F

Locale: sandiego ca
texas hiking on 03/10/2013 21:34:29 MDT Print View

since this has a few texan's attention i read a review a few years ago where some people camped on a river not far from north dallas hiked following the river for a few days and even floated in tubes for a few miles! this sounded like such an awesome trip and all of my kids are carrying there own this summer and we are ready! so any advice on this or similar hike give me a heads up. thanks

Texas Chinooks
(TexasChinooks)

Locale: DFW
Not Far from Dallas on 05/19/2013 07:16:30 MDT Print View

I had to giggle when I read this. It kinda depends on what you call not far. To hike in Texas, I drive 5 1/2 hours to Lost Maples or 6 1/2 hours to Palo Duro....if I want to hike close then I drive to Arkansas which is only 4 hours away :)

Reliable tubing is probably around Austin/New Braunfels area. You can sometimes tube up here in North Texas but it helps to do so right after a flash flood. Luckily, New Braunfels is only 4 hours away...which is really only just a hop skip and a jump for Texas driving.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: texas hiking on 05/19/2013 10:53:54 MDT Print View

Hey all..

I'm going to be spending a few months this fall/winter in Austin while I get ready for my PCT adventure and while Austin is great for running, I'm a bit worried about keeping up with my backpacking adventures.

Where in the world does one backpack if one lives in Austin? And does anyone actually backpack who lives there??

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Re: texas hiking on 05/19/2013 11:09:43 MDT Print View

slip over to bigbendchat.com and you will get lots of feed back. While mostly focused on the Big Bend they also discuss areas all over the state.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Re: texas hiking on 05/19/2013 22:48:42 MDT Print View

Jen, I might be moving there in the fall, so I am also interested in if there is any hiking in the general area. If There is, I'd be happy to hike with you sometime.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: texas hiking on 05/19/2013 22:53:12 MDT Print View

Pack tubing?
Why has nobody mentioned this yet? That sounds freaking amazing.