Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Looking for an all eVent Jacket
Display Avatars Sort By:
Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Looking for an all eVent Jacket on 01/15/2010 15:14:52 MST Print View

I'm looking for an all eVent jacket. I'm not interested in the ID all eVent jacket. The cut is not very athletic. I would prefer full zip, but half will work. Not interested in a hood either. Thanks everyone.

What's out there?

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Looking for an all eVent Jacket on 01/15/2010 15:30:03 MST Print View

The other other no hood eVENT jacket I know about is the showers pass elite cycling jacket. A bit heavy, but it does have pitzips which I need even with eVENT when pushing hard.

Alas, I didn't find the cut that much slimmer than the ID jacket.

--Mark

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Need on 01/15/2010 15:37:09 MST Print View

Looks like an opening in the market.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Looking for an all eVent Jacket - Mark Verber on 01/15/2010 15:38:41 MST Print View

Hey Mark!

I've been looking at this jacket (Showers Pass) for a bit now. Do you still use it? Other than cut, do you like it? Or would you pass on it?

Thanks much,

Doug

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
eVENT Jacket on 01/15/2010 15:50:07 MST Print View

You could look at some of the Rab offerings:

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/xdpy/sbsgc/Rab/Mens%20Clothing/Mens%20Jackets%20%26%20Vests/Waterproof

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
eVent Jacket on 01/15/2010 15:53:28 MST Print View

Wildthings Superlight Alpinist Jacket.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Rab on 01/15/2010 15:53:31 MST Print View

David,

How is the fit?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
eVENT Jacket on 01/15/2010 16:42:04 MST Print View

I believe the fit will depend on which line, but I do believe that there is a Westcomb outlet store in your area (Vancouver). I have heard they run 'athletic' like Arcteryx.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Looking for an all eVent Jacket on 01/15/2010 17:48:30 MST Print View

I would agree that Rab makes some nice jackets, and Wild things has a good rep so their jacket is most likely nice as well.. but I don't think any of their jackets are hoodless, though the rab drizzle has a roll away hood.

As to the showers pass... I have been using it since Sept... mostly cycling. It's a good quality and designed and cut for a cyclist. I feel like it's too baggy walking around, but it just right when riding a bike. I can certainly use it without swimming in sweat in a decent range of conditions but even with pitzips open, I can't dump as much heat and moisture as I would ideally like. I am comparing shadowpass, dri ducks, and montbell peak + tech tee when working hard. Dri ducks aren't quite as good... but the difference seems small. Still trying to qualify the difference.

My dream is a waterproof jacket that doesn't cause me to sweat excessively between 35-60F when I am working hard such as backpacking with a steady elevation gain, or riding >20mph on flat roads. So far, nothing that has a CFM <10 lets me dump enough heat and moisture. This means that even an unlined windshirts like The Houdini doesn't really work. Of course, if I snow my pace it's not a problem and several jackets would most likely be fine. It's just that I don't want to slow down.

I keep coming back to some sort of soft shell solution where I am not "dry", but I am a comfortable. I find myself being very tempted by the new rab vapour trail lite but the gear fund is close to empty so I need to sell some things before I give it a try.

--Mark

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Try Westcomb on 01/15/2010 19:33:08 MST Print View

Give Westcomb a look. I think my Mirage SL (special edition made for backcountry.com) is the best shell I've ever owned, and my Vapor FX is great for skiing. I should mention that I am a big Wild Things fan; I love my Alpinist Bibs and expect the jacket to be just as good. Both Westcomb and Wild Things have a very athletic cut.

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
event jacket on 01/16/2010 02:25:28 MST Print View

kia ora, maybe check out Macpac Traverse Jacket, 3 layer ripstop event, dont know the weight though but it could be worth a look. its got a hood though, but im sure you have scissors

Edited by mrjones on 01/16/2010 02:26:47 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Rolled & secured hood on 01/16/2010 13:20:05 MST Print View

Just sew and seam seal 3/4" webbing & a QR buckle to secure a folded or rolled up hood. That way you'll always have the hood for an emergancy.

It workes on my GTX ski patrol parka very well.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Skeena on 01/16/2010 14:36:20 MST Print View

Anyone have experience with the Westcomb Skeena jacket? It's what I want but it weighs 19oz. Jesus. Maybe I just just get a simple wind shirt. Perhaps the Montane FeatherLite Smock. It's light and should shed a little rain.

Nathan Liechty
(CapitalNathan) - F
Showers Pass on 01/16/2010 20:48:09 MST Print View

I also have one of the showers pass elite jackets and Mark just about nailed it. Its cut as a cycling jacket, the sleeves have tons of girth and the back drops pretty low. For a cycling jacket I believe its the best bet but for other applications I would probably keep looking.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Looking for an all eVent Jacket on 01/16/2010 23:04:27 MST Print View

What about the Rab Drillium jacket?
I recently got one and love it.
It has a drop tail and long sleeves great for riding I would imagine. It also has a roll away hood so you have the best of both worlds. there is a BPL review of it too.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Looking for an all eVent Jacket on 01/17/2010 01:20:36 MST Print View

Edited by annapurna on 05/02/2010 07:54:28 MDT.

Philip Carr
(unsponsored) - F

Locale: UK
Another UK brand to consider on 01/17/2010 04:11:38 MST Print View

How about Montane?

They are pretty much a light weight brand and use eVent in there shell clothing

http://www.montane.co.uk/

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
event on 01/17/2010 06:30:55 MST Print View

I own a rab drillium and i have tried quite a few Montane and rab jackets.

It depends of the fit you want, the rab drillium for exemple is made for skinny people or you wont layer much under it.
For the Montane jackets the fit is very different from one jacket to another. There is a huge difference between the the superfly ( for less skinny people than the rab drillium already ) and for exemple the superfly XT wich is much wider for the size.

Jason Smith
(JasonS) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Rab Drillium on 01/17/2010 06:43:47 MST Print View

Does anyone know where to purchase a XL rab drillium jacket that can be shipped to the US.

Edward Alt
(emalt3) - F
XL rab drillium jacket in the US? on 01/17/2010 14:10:14 MST Print View

You can get a Rab Momentum jacket from campsaver.com